Gary Lineker - What I Wore (Everton)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He clearly doesn't feel any affinity with us, therefore why should any blue feel an affinity with him?

World class striker who was great for us but ultimately he abandoned us to play for Barcelona. Can't understand or forgive that because they at the time weren't a better side than us, they were a far cry from the Barca we know in modern day.

Mercenary.
World class striker who left us due to the actions of the scum across the park and it’s knock on effect on English football, you mean?

Lineker was a world class striker and was excellent for us. The change of style thing was I think more to do with the players seeking his speed out rather than a definite change. He bagged 40 goals for us and that is not to be sniffed at. We only lost 2 of the last 29 games (all comps) so it was some achievement by the RS to win it. Peter Reid playing less than half the games and Big Nev and Sheeds missing games probably cost us as much as anything. I know he forgot his boots at Oxford and missed a couple of chances but we still had Sharp, Sheeds and Steven on the pitch. Our biggest loss was Big Nev and Peter Reid in that match and many others regardless of still being on a great run. Incidentally, when we lost to Oxford we dropped down to 3rd place with West Ham and Liverpool matching us all of the way.

He had 1 season with us so his love for us will be nowhere near his love for the other teams he played for.

He had 1 season with us so his love for us will be nowhere near his love for the other teams he played for.
Exactly. He was a fantastic player for the short time he was here, but ultimately it was just one season. Are people critical of other such players? I don't think so.

As others have said, it was a shame that we didn't win anything that season although there are a fair few injuries (namely Nev) that mostly contributed to this.

What I'd give to have a Lineker playing for us now, you weren't guaranteed 20 you were guaranteed 30 and more, albeit the division had more games back then, still is gutting we never won anything that year.

He clearly doesn't feel any affinity with us, therefore why should any blue feel an affinity with him?

World class striker who was great for us but ultimately he abandoned us to play for Barcelona. Can't understand or forgive that because they at the time weren't a better side than us, they were a far cry from the Barca we know in modern day.

Mercenary.

Everton sold him, there's a difference. We've done it before, we did it since.

Before my time we sold players like Lawton, Mercer, Ball, and then Beardsley and Ferguson.

I'm too young to remember Lineker in an Everton shirt but older fans tell me that the reason we didn't win the league that season is because Lineker "downed tools" when we played his old club, Leicester city, we lost 3-1 away to them and 2-1 at home that season and lost the league by 2 points. Could just be nonsense. Missing Nev for any length of time can't have helped though, he was amazing

We missed Nev big time that season. But we also missed someone else. Andy Gray. Selling him was one of Kendall's biggest mistakes. Gray wanted to stay and fight for his place. Just his influence in the dressing room alone would have been worth a few points and what a player to bring on in certain games when the Linker option wasn't working. I remember one game in particular towards the end of the season at home to Chelsea when we drew 1-1. They where a tough side and we bottled it a bit. I think Gray would have made a difference coming on from the bench that day.

He always says that the reason he hardly ever mentions his time at Everton was because he is so rarely asked about it!

Agree with those who said he was a world class goal scorer. Best the country has produced since Jimmy Greaves, and importantly, he did it on the biggest stage and in so doing helped the national team to become more than the sum of its parts, which is not something you could say since the end of the bobby Robson era.

One thing which has always puzzled me regarding the transfer of Lineker to Barcelona was why the hell didn't we try and screw them for extra cash. I'm sure they would of paid it.

If anyone has read the biography of Lineker called 'Strikingly Different' it says us and Barca agreed a fee for him around the start of the World Cup that summer but they seemed to lose interest in the player as he started the World Cup poorly and only came back in for him when he started banging them in and ended up being leading scorer in the tournament.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong but surely his value had rocketed with him picking up the World Cup Golden Boot yet we still flogged him for the same price we'd agreed a month earlier. Even Terry Venables expressed his suprise at this if you watch his interview on the video called the Gary Lineker story on YouTube.

What made it worse is we got a lot less than Liverpool got for Ian Rush and he couldn't even get to a World Cup, let alone be leading scorer in one, and we had to pay Leicester a cut of the fee we received due to a sell on clause.

Not the greatest deal in the clubs history whether it was Kendall or the board to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.