Transfer Rumour Gabriel (Lille)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...the PL and Everton are still a big draw, we shouldn’t underestimate that. Players coming here are not showing a lack of ambition, but if there are other clubs in the mix then there’s a choice to be made.

I agree.

But I hate the way people bang on about: 'if we're not his first choice he can do one'

We want to sign players who are ambitious and want to play at the top. At the minute we are not at the top

He fits the profile of player we should be signing. Young and talented with the ability to develop into a top player like Richarlison. Not the likes of sending big on Siguardisson, Walcott, Scherderlin, Tosun and Delph whose best years are behind them and they’ll have no resale value whatsoever.

My guess is (based on what I've read...I'm not ITK):
We've made Gabriel a really good offer - probably the best one in terms of cash etc - but he has desires to play for someone bigger. His agents are working on hawking him around to bigger clubs to see if anyone can match our offer - hence all these other clubs getting mentioned. Clearly the fee is one they're prepared to pay but what he's asking for is putting teams off - otherwise he'd have chosen one by now.
All pretty normal in footy these days. I think the delay is with him and his agents not with us. We can only wait and see if someone offers him more than us. But we may need a cut off point as we can't have this dragging too long.

We're going to lose out on him because way better teams are sniffing around not because of money.
We are going to lose out because he has never wanted to play for us in the first place. From day one he has said he wants to play for a team that is playing in Europe and challenging for trophies, that is not us sadly and if he does end up here it will be down to a money thing imo.

We are going to lose out because he has never wanted to play for us in the first place. From day one he has said he wants to play for a team that is playing in Europe and challenging for trophies, that is not us sadly and if he does end up here it will be down to a money thing imo.
We have to sell the plan/project to players and then deliver on what’s promised. Our past few years have been dire recruitment wise so I wouldn’t be surprised at an ambitious player thinking twice about an offer from the club when there may be top teams in the race for his signature.

I agree.

But I hate the way people bang on about: 'if we're not his first choice he can do one'

We want to sign players who are ambitious and want to play at the top. At the minute we are not at the top

This 100%
Its a walk before you can run scenario
Like it or not, most players coming in with that age demographic (21-24) will be hoping we are a stepping stone to an elite club. Baines retiring recently highlights how rare it is to get a player of that quality to stay at a club that in the past 15 years has finished between 5th & 12th in the Premier League & 1 cup final. Its hardly a roller coaster from the outside looking in.
WE need to embrace that and use it to fuel the motivation of these players

You don't think renegotiating the deal after the whole world being struck by Covid is a good idea? :Blink:

Depends how good a player Gabriel is.

If we lose out to him over a few million and he turns into a £50 million+ CB for the Brazilian National Team yes we will look very silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.