Football super league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's far too much european footy as it is. I'd rather the champions league reverted to the old european cup, which was actually for the champions of each country, and then a smaller version of the europa league with less qualifying games.

those pulling the strings don't give two fooks about the fans. As long as the corporate/tv cash gravy train keeps rolling their way, they ain't arsed a jot.

Partridge esq there! "Your all on the bbc gravy train......wish I was"

Step 1. Uefa/FIFA/FA do not sanction the league.
Step 2. The teams break away anyway. (This doesn't include us)
Step 3. All players playing in this league are banned from international competition.
Step 4. The players become figures of hate from the national public.
Step 5. The players want to leave and within 5 years all these European elite are wank.
Step 6. They come back with their begging bowls but are told to start from the bottom.
...... Meanwhile Everton win the quadruple every single year and become the biggest club in world football. We construct a 7million capacity stadium and sell 1 billion shirts worldwide every year.

...... Meanwhile Everton win the quadruple every single year and become the biggest club in world football. We construct a 7million capacity stadium and sell 1 billion shirts worldwide every year.

...and are then invited to form part of a new elite "World League"

and on it goes

Anyone who thinks that this is about the top footballing teams playing each other on a higher level more regularly is deluded. It's not about football it's about money. And it will be trumpeted more and more regularly by the dying leagues.
If Italy and Spain and the other sh1te leagues just fix the financial disparity amongst their local teams then they won't need to escape them to experience revivals.

Erm, don't we already have it in the Champions League??

Exactly. What they are trying to do though is have a UCL without risk of non qualification. They want guarantees that the money will be coming in. A number of teams at the moment must budget for no UCL entry, a league will mean they have financial certainty, and can spend more.

I reckon yeah, do it, let them leave for a Euro 'Super' league. I'd be absolutely gutted if we joined them though.

Exactly. What they are trying to do though is have a UCL without risk of non qualification. They want guarantees that the money will be coming in. A number of teams at the moment must budget for no UCL entry, a league will mean they have financial certainty, and can spend more.

I reckon yeah, do it, let them leave for a Euro 'Super' league. I'd be absolutely gutted if we joined them though.

If the top teams left would they be allowed to play in the domestic cup competitions ? Would be a no go IMO

If the top teams left would they be allowed to play in the domestic cup competitions ? Would be a no go IMO

I'm also thinking it would be a no go area. They effectively wouldn't be under the FA. I don't even think that our clubs would sign up for it. Or at least for a few sessions. It's been talked about so often. But its got FAIL written all over it.

The most ridiculous idea ever; they are just looking at making more and more money. I hope it does go ahead, let all the elite [Poor language removed].

Football was better before sky and all the money; when a footballer owned Ford Sierra XR4 instead of 2 Bentleys and a Ferrari.

UEFA/FIFA will always be chasing the money, the elite clubs will always be chasing the money, they would **** on all the fans if it brought more money into the club. Look at the RS, do they care about the local fan who has followed them up and down the country for years?? No. Do they care about the one-off foreigner who'll get to 1/2/3 games a year?? Yes, because he will go into the club shop and spend hundreds of pounds each visit on merchandise.

Modern football disgusts me, i hope the entire thing imploads

I'm also thinking it would be a no go area. They effectively wouldn't be under the FA. I don't even think that our clubs would sign up for it. Or at least for a few sessions. It's been talked about so often. But its got FAIL written all over it.

I think you're right, they'd no longer be an FA club so no more FA Cup.

I also think you're right about the English sides probably staying out of such a league. The Premier League has better parity than most leagues in the world as it is, very good attendance for the top clubs, and also get lots of TV viewers around the world.

If Chelsea or any of the other really big clubs joined a Euro Super League... What would they gain? Maybe more TV money, but also I'd argue lower attendance (less away fans) and much, much higher travel costs. Is it really worth it?

For English teams, the current European format is better.

I think you're right, they'd no longer be an FA club so no more FA Cup.

I also think you're right about the English sides probably staying out of such a league. The Premier League has better parity than most leagues in the world as it is, very good attendance for the top clubs, and also get lots of TV viewers around the world.

If Chelsea or any of the other really big clubs joined a Euro Super League... What would they gain? Maybe more TV money, but also I'd argue lower attendance (less away fans) and much, much higher travel costs. Is it really worth it?

For English teams, the current European format is better.

I think with how much money is in the premier league now, other European clubs are looking for ways to improve their income, to compete.

I can't see a 20 team league working, I think they could easily alter the champions league, to give those teams more games, by changing the format from 8 groups to 4, with 8 teams in each group. This would give each team a minimum of 14 games, then the top 2 from each group go through to the 2 leg knock out phase.

The only way something like this could work is if the "league" was created each year from scratch via qualification from your domestic league. This years top 4 go in for a year, compete for Euro cup and Euro super league, while domestically the season is competing for top 4 to enter Euro as our representatives next year and domestic cups. It would mean you'd spread qualification out more evenly amongst the teams in the domestic leagues and possibly make some more competitive as a result.

Even if it was possible with all the vested interests there's still shed loads of negatives, like we could end up with years between derby games.

Last edited:
Top 2 of all Major clubs and title winners of minor ones make up champs league. 3/4th of major and 2nd/3rd (dependant on quality of league) make up the UEFA Cup and then Both Cup winners of all enter Cup Winners Cup.

Champions League on Tues Wed one week, The others on Tues Wed the next week.

sort it you bulbs, champions league for 4th best teams in the league is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.