Football men

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim cahill

Player Valuation: £50m
We are told that Allardyce and Walsh are ‘proper football men’. You would assume with their knowledge and experience in the game that they would make wiser decisions than the average fan.

I’m not so sure.

I was chatting to someone the other day and came to the conclusion that people in football are a bit thick? (There will be exceptions obviously.)

You only have to listen to the drivel spouted out by most pundits that try to pass themselves off as experts on the game, to realise that they know little more than the average fan.

Some of the decisions made at Everton over the last couple of years have been quite predictably poor. We got away with the Sissoko signing that nobody wanted. But so many other players that most people didn’t really want have gone through and have been as poor as we expected. The likes of Martina and Bolasie (I know his injury was unlucky, but still!) have turned out just as we expected. Even Sigurdsson, everyone knew he was way overpriced and it’s turned out that way.

Not preparing for Rom leaving, signing 3 number 10’s and leaving the squad with huge gaps in it in the summer was just stupidity.

And Allardyce making 5 changes to a winning team when they’ve just put in a good performance after a week and a half rest was totally baffling!

So is it just me or are you starting to think that ‘football men’ are a bit thick?

Yes.

Could see that that team selection was going to give a hideous performance, but those millionaires couldn't.

Don't we have enough threads moaning at FS though?

The term PFM is meant to be in jest, and yes, there's an element of denseness.

Then again, a mastermind or whatever sort of "smart man" like Roy Hodgson faces the challenge of trying to communicate properly with meat brain footballers.

I mean look at people like Ross Barkley, lad has the density of a neutron star

Fully agree with your summary.

Let us be brutally honest the vast majority of professional footballers would be struggling to do anything other than menial labour outside of the game due to their lack of academic knowledge. Yet most managers are born out of this group and will therefore have been taught by their ilk and thus the cycle will continue.

I also believe that is an element of being to close that you fail to see the wood for the trees. Something I am sure we are all guilty of on occasion. Yet these so called football men are more blind tgan most because they do not have the education to stop and look at the big picture.

Maybe I am being overly harsh and would love to hear rational argument as to why the OP and myself are misguided .

Yes.

Could see that that team selection was going to give a hideous performance, but those millionaires couldn't.

Don't we have enough threads moaning at FS though?
It’s not really about Allardyce though. It’s about the vast majority of people in football.

Thinking that it might placate the fans, admitting on live tv that the evil masterplan was copy Swansea, would seem to support your theory that BFS is as thick as mince.

There are plenty of footballing types who come across as more thoughtful - though perhaps they are the elite minority - but most interviews are so brief and shallow that it's hard to gauge with any accuracy.

Oh and among the things mentioned above - shortcomings and mess-ups in the transfer market are hardly to blame on anyone's intelligence, it's more down to business acumen and ability to do hard work, really - and maybe a bit of luck, arm twisting and the like.

Tactically though, it's hard to find anyone lacking. At one point any idiot can figure out how to make tactics works, at least in a certain logic or system. Any one of us could do that job.

Wielding respect and power as well as managing people, being a good leader, listening and considerate, is something entirely different. I like to believe that clown Martinez was good at this, and that Koeman was woefully bad, what with his awful treatment of players out of the fold. I think Allardyce is a bit too daft to be able to consider the interpersonal intricacies of managing international footballers. Being a PFM will not help at all in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.