Football Disillusionment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s an age thing. I used to have such passion for it, now I hate everyone involved apart from a handful of mainly our players. I still watch it though. What else are you going to do, read a book? Are you havin a bath?

The overload of games has been draining, but disillusionment? No.

I was laying on the floor singing Andy is our King, 10 cans deep a few weeks back after beating the Crimson.

Just get us back.
Watched The Blacklist last night, somebody suggested removing pain from the world, Reddington said "To know what true joy feels like, we first need to know pain".

Sign Dembe!

I live in rural France, small community with 300 residents and a local football team...........the level of skill in many of these amateur players is way beyond that shown by many of the our so called 'professional' players. You could easily superimpose one or two into our current squad and improve the overall quality and skill level of what we have now! It's a very thin line between success and failure..............

The lack of fans has killed it for me. I've got about 800 football DVDs, carefully curated and recorded over the years. Each season I'd keep the best games/highlights of the Champions League, the Cup finals, etc., and the most memorable matches of the international tournaments. Now there's going to be a gaping hole for 2020 and 2021 as I just don't see the value in any of the games without fans. There's no spectacle. The only football that I can now watch is my own team - when in the past I'd soak up everything and love it. The thought of Euro 2020 with no fans or a few thousand just repulses me. Winning the derby in an empty Anfield was so much less satisfying than it would have been with delirious fans - such as the windmill man from 1984.

It's been a few seasons for me now. It is football I have lost the love for, my desire for Everton to do well has never diminished and as someone mentioned earlier, it still really hurts when we lose!!!
I used to watch every game I could, now if Everton lose I don't watch a match until we play again. Even when we win I'd choose a cricket game over football now. Although I still haven't missed an Everton match (sometimes I wish I had) and can't wait until I can go back to the ground.
I'm solely an Everton fan not a football fan.

I only really watch Everton any more, I used to watch a lot more.. I'll watch Ireland but we are hopeless at the moment. I grew up while Jack Charlton was manager and some of my most fond childhood memories are around that, quarter final of the WC the party atmosphere in the whole country has not been witnessed since and likely never will again.
I have a 5 year old here who's just starting to take intrest in football so perhaps that will get me more interested again.. of course I'm going to have to brainwash him first, I've ordered an Everton Jersey for him so that's on the way, we get jelly and icecream the day after Everton win so he likes that..

Good post.
Doesnt bother me for longer than it used to. Its to packaged now. There is no edge to the game. VAR is without doubt the worst thing to hit the game in years. The demise of the FA cup is also a crime. The FA need to take blame for that aswell.
Football went and allowed money to be its God. It was always there but nowhere near to the extent now.
Im over a defeat now within the hour. It used to take me a few days.

But just when you think all is lost, look it at from an 8 year old boys perspective.. my lads first day back to school today and his head master (who’s a big red) says in an overly jolly way.. ‘are you happy to be back then’? My lad, without missing a beat responds with, ‘Yes, so that I can remind you that we beat you 2-0..’

As much as it gets you down, football and Everton still (occasionally) give you the best highs!

I’ve been supporting Everton for over 60 years, through great times, good times, not so good times and dismal times but I’m now getting really disillusioned with football in general and with Everton in particular. Covid lockdown hasn’t helped and has probably just brought this disillusionment into focus. However, after yesterday’s abysmal performance I sat and thought about the main causes of my discontent and these include some major issues and minor irritations (not necessarily Everton based) but I’m sure everyone can add to this list (including me!).

• Ridiculous transfer fees: you could build 5-6 primary schools for the cost of one iwobi* (£28M)
  • Obscene levels of wages: You could employ 74 nurses for one Iwobi* annual salary (£2.6m)
  • VAR: where do I start?
  • Feigning injury: the obligatory scream of agony and the holding of the head, thigh, knee, shin, ankle after every hard (and not so hard) tackle. Mainly to disrupt the oppositions progress when you’ve just lost the ball!
  • Throw-Ins: players from both sides holding up their arms and yelling ‘our ball’ every time there’s a throw-in, even when it’s clearly obvious who the ball last touched.
  • Commentator’s terminology: ‘high press’ ‘low block’ ‘high line’ ‘tiki-taka’ ‘false number nine’ ‘box to box player’ ‘playing in the pocket’………..meaningless phrases that make me cringe every time I hear some half-wit commentator and his Stan Laurel side kick trying to appear ‘knowledgeable’.
* = or substitute any other expensive, overpaid, not very talented premier league player.

Of course if we beat Man City next Saturday all will be forgiven until next time!
If Everton were in the top 4, and had beaten Fulham 3-0 as Man City did, and beaten Sheffield United 5-0 as Leicester did, then all the above would not be a problem. It's not football disillusionment it's Everton disillusionment.

I used to love football,MOTD,Shoot magazine,the big match on a Sunday,the FA cup draw the world cup and getting to see those foreign players you only heard about,that love took a massive blow at Heysel,people dying at football,then came Hillsborough,the only time I have cried over a football game,it brought home the realisation football really wasnt that important,the final nail was Sky,it basically killed off regional teams having decent sides,the moving of semi finals to Wembley took the glamour off the one off games there
My love for Everton will always be there but it doesnt affect my life in any major way now,an hour after the game its forgotten

I think it's an age thing, I'm nowhere near as invested in football as I used to be. I don't buy FM or Pro Evo religiously like I used to, I don't watch any outside of Everton , I pay for it all but barely watch it. It has changed beyond all recognition from when I started following it as a sport.

Interestingly I had a look and in the twenty years prior to the Prem about 7 different teams won the league and since the prem started 7 teams have won it, which from the outside seems like nothing has changed much but competitively it's no comparison. It's the same top 4 every year and it's killing the sport in my opinion.

The prem hasn't been good for European football if you ask me. Players happy to sit on the bench at top 4 clubs than play for a smaller club and help them breach the gap. The quality would be a lot better if half the really good players weren't sat on their arse every week. Squads have killed competitiveness for me.

Personally I’m sick of the diving and the referees giving free kicks , games constantly being stop start, it’s boring , the slightest contact sometimes apparently has a player crumble to the ground.

Technically the players today are good however I find there is a lack of guile, rather than taking players on, they choose to pass sideways or back (I’m not just talking about us) . It’s very boring.

Plus I think there is a lack of characters in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.