First time! Seat advice, pubs to go, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aerin

Hey Everyone!

I just joined the forum because I plan to surprise my boyfriend this Christmas with a trip to the UK for some football action (we are from California). Of course, Everton being our favorite, I am making a point to attend a home game. I lived in Bristol for a year, and have visited London plenty, so I am comfortable with transportation, etc, but I have never been to Goodison or in the neighborhood, so I want to ask your advice so I can give the best gift ever. I'm going to join the overseas supporter club to ensure we have early access to tickets.

1. Best seats? I am thinking we need to have seats in the Gwladys, for the best atmosphere and view combined. Of course we are total American noobs and won't know most of the traditions, but I hope that we will be welcomed in this section. Am I off base here?

2. What to do before and after? Are there any special traditions we must see/do? Any particular pubs to spend time at before or after? What do you do, would love your tips! We are up for anything, and love beer and football.

3. Goodison Park tour? I plan to book a tour for the day before or after, just to get an extra piece of Blues history. Is this worth the time or complete crap?

Thanks in advance, I am SO EXCITED to make it to a game, and I know my boyfriend will be too.

We are up for anything.

Welcome mate, you might just regret that "up for anything" comment !!

For first timers or occassional visitors, I'd recommend the Lower Gwladys.

The tour is ace.

Pubs are pretty much down to personal preference. For pre-match atmosphere, anywhere near the ground will do you just fine. Post-match, you may find a few people recommend that your boyfriend tries the Lisbon in town. He might enjoy it, equally, he might not.

Hi Aerin....welcome to the forum.

Yeah you'll get more atmosphere in the Gwladys st....personally I prefer bullens or main stand so i can see the game better, but everyone has their favoured spot...

Pubs...not found too many great pubs near goodison when I travel over from ireland...but loads of good pubs in the city centre...

Stadium tour well worth it....

Hope ye have a great time when ye visit :)

Welcome mate, you might just regret that "up for anything" comment !!

For first timers or occassional visitors, I'd recommend the Lower Gwladys.

The tour is ace.

Pubs are pretty much down to personal preference. For pre-match atmosphere, anywhere near the ground will do you just fine. Post-match, you may find a few people recommend that your boyfriend tries the Lisbon in town. He might enjoy it, equally, he might not.
Yeah, I thought twice about typing that, knowing I could be asking for trouble, but sometimes it's just the invitation people need to really give some interesting advice! We'll see what we get ;)

Being noobs : first thing show us what you look like ...so we can put a face to the help you need always helps.. Dressed or undressed ware not fussed...actually be dressed theres some right weirdos on here as its pre season;) and welcome

The pubs near the ground are classic old match day pubs so are part of the experience!! Scruffy but atmospheric too. Nicer ones in town for the rest of the day/visit. Leave enough time for a walk around the ground to see the timeline fixed to the outside of the stands which show a good range of firsts from our earliest days. Players car park is also easy to access to get autographs but uncertain about times and your boyfriend is probably a bit big for that!!

Hey Everyone!

I just joined the forum because I plan to surprise my boyfriend this Christmas with a trip to the UK for some football action (we are from California). Of course, Everton being our favorite, I am making a point to attend a home game. I lived in Bristol for a year, and have visited London plenty, so I am comfortable with transportation, etc, but I have never been to Goodison or in the neighborhood, so I want to ask your advice so I can give the best gift ever. I'm going to join the overseas supporter club to ensure we have early access to tickets.

Welcome.

1. Best seats? I am thinking we need to have seats in the Gwladys, for the best atmosphere and view combined. Of course we are total American noobs and won't know most of the traditions, but I hope that we will be welcomed in this section. Am I off base here?

For atmosphere, Gwladys.
For view/facilities, Park End.

Upper Bullets (near the front) is pretty good too, as you see Goodison in all it's glory, particularly after a goal.

I'd recommend the Park End, towards the Main Stand - means no dodgy seat/obstructed view.

2. What to do before and after? Are there any special traditions we must see/do? Any particular pubs to spend time at before or after? What do you do, would love your tips! We are up for anything, and love beer and football.

I'd recommend Liverpool City Centre, lots of great bars and restaurants (check TripAvdisor) it's a bit drab around Goodison.

3. Goodison Park tour? I plan to book a tour for the day before or after, just to get an extra piece of Blues history. Is this worth the time or complete crap?

It's an absolute must - book it. You won't regret it ;)

Hey Everyone!

Thanks in advance, I am SO EXCITED to make it to a game, and I know my boyfriend will be too.

1 Avoid the Street End, its full of whinging meffs, sit in the Park End.

2 It's traditional to visit the Lisbon for a pre match drink, and sausage buffet.

3 Stadium tour is ace.

Being noobs : first thing show us what you look like ...so we can put a face to the help you need always helps.. Dressed or undressed ware not fussed...actually be dressed theres some right weirdos on here as its pre season;) and welcome
I've updated my profile picture to a shot of the two of us, happy? We have trouble taking a serious photo, so this is the best I can do for now :)

and your boyfriend is probably a bit big for that!!
You'd be surprised. We are season ticket holders to our local MLS team (San Jose Earthquakes), and even though the team isn't usually all that spectacular, he still loses his [Poor language removed] when he sees one of the players up close. Just last week he got an autograph and then proceeded to blurt out "i love you man." So, yes, he would be happy for an autograph. I'll do my best to not get embarassed.

You can't come to the match and not go to a pub around the ground, most places in town you won't even be able to tell there is a match on. Yes a few of them need a lick of paint but its definitely a part of the Everton experience. The Winslow on Goodison road is good afterwards, it's a bit busy before the game.

Hey Everyone!

I'd recommend the Top Balcony for the most panoramic view of Goodison and the match. Enjoy the experience and of course hope you get to see a win.

You can't come to the match and not go to a pub around the ground, most places in town you won't even be able to tell there is a match on. Yes a few of them need a lick of paint but its definitely a part of the Everton experience. The Winslow on Goodison road is good afterwards, it's a bit busy before the game.

So, where would you recommend before the match?

Hi, i would recommend the Ship and Mitre on Dale Street in the city centre for pre-match drinks or post-match drinks, it's always packed with Evertonians on matchdays,
and has a great atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.