First Everton Goal of Your Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. We had a young left back from Southport named Bryan Griffiths. I think he only played two games, and his debut was against Matthews, who was well into his 40s(?). He had Griffiths inside out and on his backside the whole game. I think the lad went back home quite soon.(Historians...Bryan Griffiths career at Everton ?)
Stanley Mathews played for Stoke against the Blues the day after President Kennedy was assassinated,was that 1963 or 1964, Mathews was fifty then, made no difference to Tony Kay who put the great winger on his backside with a good tackle, can’t say who the left back was for Everton.

Who hasn't heard of Eddie Thomas !! Big broad shouldered lad. For some reason can only picture him in a white shirt? 86 games and 39 goals(a good return!) for a few years from 1956.
Eddie Thomas was part of the deal that brought Roy Vernon to Everton, Eddie went to Blackburn valued at around £8,000, Eddie also scored all four goals in a 4-2 win versus either PNE. or Portsmouth.

Derek played with Alec Farrell and might have made his debut with him, I recall a 3-0 win versus Bury, a midweek night game, when Derek scored two of the goals, they both went to PNE, Derek might have got an international game, not a full cap, while with Preston, Alec Farrell’s career was ruined with Everton and PNE, it was rumoured that Matt Busby wanted him for Man. Unt. When Farrell was young teenager.

....thanks for adding a bit more flesh to the bone, Cameron. Derek’s goalscoring record was quite decent, yet he didn’t play many games for us. As you say, he was much more involved at PNE and also played a while at Leeds. Nice he’s been remembered on here, he was a local lad who probably has family around these parts.

I can’t really remember my first goalscorer for Everton, when I first went in 1948 the first two games we lost 2-0 to Arsenal and 1-0 to Stoke City, my memory then goes to the start of the next season 1948-49, so it could have been Jimmy McIntosh versus Middlesbrough in an early season night game or a Jock Dodds penalty versus Liverpool in a 1-1 draw, this game was the day of the record attendance at Goodison, over 78,000.

I can’t really remember my first goalscorer for Everton, when I first went in 1948 the first two games we lost 2-0 to Arsenal and 1-0 to Stoke City, my memory then goes to the start of the next season 1948-49, so it could have been Jimmy McIntosh versus Middlesbrough in an early season night game or a Jock Dodds penalty versus Liverpool in a 1-1 draw, this game was the day of the record attendance at Goodison, over 78,000.
Fascinating stuff...great example of how a simple thread can develop in such an interesting way. Top marks to the original poster.

Three and sure they all must have been said

1. Andy King in the derby
2. Graeme Sharp in the derby
3. Barry Horne in the great escape

Depends on how you define "life" - if you count the foetus era, then the first of Cottee's debut hat trick v Newcastle would be it. However, the first goal after I was born was whoever scored first vs Charlton on 10 April 1989.

The score was 3-2.... anyone?.... Bueller? Bueller?....
That would be Graeme Sharp ;) Sheedy and Nevin got the others in a 3-2 win

Bueller?????????????

Edward Thomas, Everton 2 Portsmouth 1. Sat 13th Dec 1958, four days after I was born. Never heard of him btw.
He was as his name said 'Steady Eddie', he played at a time in the 50s when Everton were piss poor. Roy Vernon was involved with the deal, Vernon
to Everton £27,500 from Blackburn, Thomas to Blackburn (Rated at £7,500) £35,000 in all. A fantastic deal for us.

Ok got it. I too put the first goal I saw, so to get it right, first goal in my lifetime was....Jimmy Husband. (Yea we won too,) No doubt my Dad would have been there, leaving my Mum with the one day old me : )

SatMar
30​
1968​
FAC QFALeicesterW
3​
-​
1​
43,519​
Husband J 2 Kendall H

Ok got it. I too put the first goal I saw, so to get it right, first goal in my lifetime was....Jimmy Husband. (Yea we won too,) No doubt my Dad would have been there, leaving my Mum with the one day old me : )

SatMar
30​
1968​
FAC QFALeicesterW
3​
-​
1​
43,519​
Husband J 2 Kendall H

SatMar
30​
1968​
FAC QFALeicesterW
3​
-​
1​
43,519​
Husband J 2 Kendall H
I think your Dad had the easiest day eh?

You can find out here-

Mine was from Derek Mayers in a 2-1 win over Sunderland on 22nd Sept 1956. I have to admit to never having heard of Derek Mayers, but he was a local Liverpool lad who scored 7 goals in 18 appearances for the Toffees between 1952-57. Derek died on 15.04.16 aged 81.

View attachment 55988

This posed a great debate mate, and thanks for that... I asked my Dad and originally he didn't have a clue! He said that was 25-30 years ago son! I questioned as to why he couldn't remember, stating that my boys first game at Goodison/BMD, he's currently 3, will be a day to remember for the rest of my life and I think it got him thinking... Within 36hours he got back to me to say this... (excuse the spelling mistakes, he's 75!):

Your first EFC game 3rd round of fame cup Everton 2 Southampton 1. Graham Sharpe scored both... January 10th 1987!

He then followed up with the following statements:

The next one with Lee EFC 0 M city 0 2nd May 1987 top of league 77pts

My answer was:

Ah nice one Dad, how'd you find that out? Wasn't we there when we received the trophy that year too? ⚽

His reply was:

I found a few everton dairies and yes that was the last one of the season, I think that was when you ran on the pitch for Nevilles gloves and got locked up!

Proud to hear my history! Blue through and through! ;)

This posed a great debate mate, and thanks for that... I asked my Dad and originally he didn't have a clue! He said that was 25-30 years ago son! I questioned as to why he couldn't remember, stating that my boys first game at Goodison/BMD, he's currently 3, will be a day to remember for the rest of my life and I think it got him thinking... Within 36hours he got back to me to say this... (excuse the spelling mistakes, he's 75!):

Your first EFC game 3rd round of fame cup Everton 2 Southampton 1. Graham Sharpe scored both... January 10th 1987!

He then followed up with the following statements:

The next one with Lee EFC 0 M city 0 2nd May 1987 top of league 77pts

My answer was:

Ah nice one Dad, how'd you find that out? Wasn't we there when we received the trophy that year too? ⚽

His reply was:

I found a few everton dairies and yes that was the last one of the season, I think that was when you ran on the pitch for Nevilles gloves and got locked up!

Proud to hear my history! Blue through and through! ;)

....great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.