First Everton Goal of Your Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
The f word must have been a favourite of Wallys. I was very young, just able to peer over the wall at the front of the paddock, when Wally chased a ball right in front of me. He missed it and ran into the wall right in front of me,looked me in the eye and said' ***** son, I'm *****d'. Years later I met him in his newsagents shop near White Hart Lane(sent there by Ted Ditchburn, who had a shop nearby) and reminded him of the incident. His response was '**** me, I don't remember that, although I do remember being ****** most of that last season.'

Great player was Nobby Fielding, in his prime. Known as 'The best uncapped inside forward(!) in the country,because he never got an international call up.
Never a dull moment with Wally, eh Steve? I wish someone had written his biography. Funny you running into him at Tottenham because my dad told me
that he was a Spurs supporter.

While I'm here, reading this thread it's amazing how many say that the first goal they saw Everton score was at an away match.

Never a dull moment with Wally, eh Steve? I wish someone had written his biography. Funny you running into him at Tottenham because my dad told me
that he was a Spurs supporter.

While I'm here, reading this thread it's amazing how many say that the first goal they saw Everton score was at an away match.

He told me he was a Spurs supporter, and so did Ted Ditchburn. I was in Teds shop doing a promotion for a magazine publisher and mentioned I supported Everton...Ted said to me..'pop into the newsagents in the next street, Nobby Fielding will be behind the counter. In fact he phoned Nobby and told him I was coming round!!

Thanks . It was Harry Catterick in an 8-3 defeat to Stoke(!!!) end of August 1941, the first game after the resumption of football since war broke out. Anyne who was aware of Everton before that, is 80 years old!!(I'm 78 in July)

Steve, are you sure about the date August 1941? There was no organised football played during the war years, only friendlies when pro footballers in the forces played for whatever team was closest to where they were based. The leagues started again after the end of the war.

Steve, are you sure about the date August 1941? There was no organised football played during the war years, only friendlies when pro footballers in the forces played for whatever team was closest to where they were based. The leagues started again after the end of the war.

It was the first game of the 'unorganised' friendlies. But youre right, the Everton team probably had a number of guest players. I'll check the scorers again...but Catterick was the first scorer. Just checked...August 30th 1942 away at Stoke, lost 8-3 Everton scorers Catterick, Boyes,and Cook(pen).

I reckon he's got it spot on

I reckon he's got it spot on

The 1939/40 season was the 65th season of the football league. It was abandoned in Sept 1939 due to the start of the war. The leagues were replaced by 'Regional Competitions'. Appearances in these competitions did not count in players' official records. Because many pro's were in the forces (and many overseas) most teams fielded 'guest players' eg Crystal Palace fielded 186 different players during the seven wartime seasons.
So, no leagues, no FA Cup, just moral boosting football matches wherever they could be arranged.

Acknowledgements to Wiki.

My Dad was in the Fire Service in Liverpool during the war. I remember going to watch him play in a match for the Fire Service v the RAF. The RAF had several professional footballers in their side.

The 1939/40 season was the 65th season of the football league. It was abandoned in Sept 1939 due to the start of the war. The leagues were replaced by 'Regional Competitions'. Appearances in these competitions did not count in players' official records. Because many pro's were in the forces (and many overseas) most teams fielded 'guest players' eg Crystal Palace fielded 186 different players during the seven wartime seasons.
So, no leagues, no FA Cup, just moral boosting football matches wherever they could be arranged.

My Dad was in the Fire Service in Liverpool during the war. I remember going to watch him play in a match for the Fire Service v the RAF. The RAF had several professional footballers in their side.

You may be right about them not appearing on 'official' records, but for the purposes of this thread ie "first Everton goal of your life" I'm pretty sure we can allow that lol
STOKE CITY V EVERTON
August 30, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Everton:- Lovett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Hill, and Jones (JE), half-backs; Barber, Bentham, Catterick, Boyes and Lyons, forwards. Stoke City:- Herrod, goal; Brigham and Glover, backs; Hamlett, Mould, and Caton, half-backs; Liddell, Bowyer, Sale, Blunt, and Basnett, forwards. Stoke spectators saw their favourites score in less than five minutes. Sale finding the mark after some slack work on the part of the Everton defence. This was a grand start for the City, but Everton attacked with a will even though the Stoke goalkeeper was rarely called on. At 17 minutes Stoke went further ahead, with a penalty goal by Brigham. Sale rounded of some grand play by Liddell with a fine scoring shot, and Liddell also scored. Everton reduced their arrears through Catterick.
Half-time; Stoke City 4, Everton 1
Boyes scored for Everton and Basnett and Blunt for Stoke.

Both my Mum and Dad's first goalscorer after their birth was Dixie Dean.
My Dad's in Feb 1937 in a 7-1 demolition of dirty Leeds and My Mum's was in August 1937 in a 4-1 loss to Arsenal, which would appear to be Dixie's last ever goal for Everton before he was sold to Notts County. Not bad eh?

Reactions: kev
I can vouch for Wally Fielding's bad language. The players used to park their cars alongside what is now the Park End of the ground. When the players came out after the game I was stood on the running board of Wally's old black 1940s style car. He told me to "get off my f..g car" and I don't recollect getting his autograph."

Reading the Tommy Lawton Book it was organised chaos in the war years - as you would expect it to be you played for any team where a professional footballer was based at - It was for the public moral as many pro footballers joined up as PE instructors in the army - yet some still got abuse white feathers as being privileged etc it got more organised as the war years went on though......

First competitive goal of my Life would have been Fred Pickering in a 5-2 win against Northampton at Goodison 21. 08. 65. Don't know about friendlies that summer. I was born on 13. 06. 65. So there must have been some pre season goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.