Ferguson retained as assistant manager - yay or nay

Should Duncan Ferguson continue to be employed as Assistant Manager regardless of managerial appoint

• No

Votes: 234 56.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 180 43.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he’s been a consistent part of the ongoing shambles for many, many years so it’s difficult to understand why he should be retained.

There should be no place for sentimentality in a professional sports organisation.
At the risk of starting a Christmas panto 6 months early, "Oh, yes there should!!!" Obviously, professional organisations shouldn't be strategically directed according to whim and sentiment, but if the organisation wants its people to be committed to it, then it has to show a human side to the people who work for it. Outfits that treat people like cyphers, or chess pieces to be moved around and sacrificed will come unstuck, eventually.

While I'm on a ranting roll, I just cannot see why so many people believe that becoming a manager one day is a necessary objective for an assistant. Its like saying that because a paramedic or senior nurse will never be a brain surgeon, they are worthless and should just be fired. There's a definite organisational management value for someone who is trusted by all parties to have one foot in the 'management' and one foot in the 'the lads' camps to keep communications open and lubricate that interface (ooo, er, Mrs). I have no idea what an assistant manager does, but I do believe it's possible that Ferguson might be fulfilling a worthwhile role, and it seems like the club definitely thinks that way.

Soz for ranting, but I kept me gob shut as long as I could.

We’ve just appointed a RS as manager to almost universal derision from the fanbase , almost . I know Ferguson has a reputation for being handy but If usmanov didn’t want a coach keeping on I can’t imagine he’d need to be machiavellian about it .
He'd know getting shut of him under these current circumstances would have been a hard sell.

It's a manager's call, not an owners. And Benitez has already intimated he's not going to be his assistant manager. It's a short step from there to encouraging him to go and get a manager's job elsewhere.

He wont like. Ferguson is going to dig in and get a job for life as a coach at Everton.

He'd know getting shut of him under these current circumstances would have been a hard sell.

It's a manager's call, not an owners. And Benitez has already intimated he's not going to be his assistant manager. It's a short step from there to encouraging him to go and get a manager's job elsewhere.

He wont like. Ferguson is going to dig in and get a job for life as a coach at Everton.
So your assessment is usmanov doesn’t want him and the manager doesn’t want him but the coach stays , got some power this fella . Talk about a tail wagging a dog .

Did you ever stop to think HE is the common denomiator inall these failures?

To be honest mate, no...he's one person of a very large group at the club. To blame him for our ills is illogical and something I couldn't wrap my head around, even if I tried.

Keep in mind I've never thrown his name in the ring as a legit candidate (in a serious way), so it's not like I'm pushing it in any way or looking for a reason to.

So your assessment is usmanov doesn’t want him and the manager doesn’t want him but the coach stays , got some power this fella . Talk about a tail wagging a dog .
I doubt Usmanov even knows who he is. And Benitez will just want Ferguson out of his way for now.

As I said, he'll be kept on for diplomatic reasons. He'll never get the manager's job but the owners and future managers will think it's not worthwhile angering some of the easily impressed fanbase by pitchforking their hero out of the club. In time we'll see his name well down the pecking order at the club - where it should be.

Hold on though, he might just go and get a manager's job elsewhere.

@davek
So usmanov doesn’t know who ferguson is but you think he has handed Benitez the task of getting shut of him . I can’t follow

it doesn’t matter because you’ll twist and turn like a twisty turny thing to make your answer fit whatever is today’s agenda du jour.

@davek
So usmanov doesn’t know who ferguson is but you think he has handed Benitez the task of getting shut of him . I can’t follow

it doesn’t matter because you’ll twist and turn like a twisty turny thing to make your answer fit whatever is today’s agenda du jour.
I said the failing coaching staff, "them" not Ferguson in particular.

No contradiction here.

Of course Dunc should stay.
Just think of what sort of steaming Kopite mess Rat Raffington would bring in if he had the choice.

I dont know enough about what he actually contributes to the coaching apparatus but from an outside perspective, he seems to function as a token to acquire goodwill from the fanbase.

I simply dont know why Dunc has been given Legend status--he was a bang average striker-- and as a coach is part of the problem--time for a change and fresh blood

I simply dont know why Dunc has been given Legend status--he was a bang average striker-- and as a coach is part of the problem--time for a change and fresh blood
Because he was a talisman during dark times, he had passion when the team and football weren't great, turned up in big games. Yeah he had issues but for a lot of us he was a shining light in dark times.

Status
Not open for further replies.