Homepage Article Fan Influence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of players of limited capability have received great support from the crowd over the years. They tend to be the ones who leave everything on the pitch. Mick Lyons is a good example,would run through walls and never gave less than 100% .Our current squad would appear to want plaudits for putting their shirts on the right way round.

Where I sit in the Gladwys Street I’m quite happy when the atmosphere is not great. When it’s bouncing and everyone is up singing, from the back row of the lower Gladwys i can’t see a bloody thing. The good thing about the atmosphere there is, it keeps the noise in.

I honestly think, the atmosphere in the ground is the least of our worries.
Not defending set pieces properly still, sideways passing, crap delivery in the box, starting frauds such as Gylfi and Morgan are much more of an issue. Oh that all comes down to the manager. Sort them out, you may get a better atmosphere.

Having watched lots of premier league games on TV over the last 3-4 years, I think I can honestly say Goodison is probably the quietest stadium in the league (with the etihad being our closest rival for the soulless silence award). The only time there is any sort of noise is after we score, and a couple of everton, everton, everton refrains. Our stadium is not hostile, despite fans being very close to the pitch. I don't know why pundits like gary Neville and Carragher still come off with the c*ap that goodison is a very difficult and hostile stadium for teams to come and play at. Fans at so called 'smaller' teams like palace, wolves, Leicester, Norwich, brighton really put our supporters to shame. There is always a constant buzz around these and most other prem league stadiums. Goodison sounds like an empty church for lengthy spells of games.

even when we are winning you can hear a pin drop around goodison most of the time. our fans need to make more noise, whether it's encouraging the team on or squealing at them for playing c*ap. Just make some noise rather than the ambivalence and apathy which is has been enveloping goodison over the last 3-4 years.

Goodison has always been a church for most games against average teams.

The place bounces v Liverpool, cup games and other important games, especially at night.

I personally like it that way.

The constant noise at places like Palace when its 0-0 v Middlesborough is annoying anf childish. A bit like a hippy protest or a bunch of 6 year old kids on break. Making noise for no reason is a big NO here,

How do you change an atmosphere when it's mainly the same fans at the game, season ticket holders take a majority of seats and they've become apathetic or angry. But they go and others who may be more positive can't because tickets are not very abundant unless you want an obstructed view.

years of bad togger , relegation scraps, no money and selling the crown jewels have robbed the fans of enthusiasm and so now they expect the team to get them motivated first, whereas really the ground should be loud before kick off.

Tough to blame fans given some of the dirge served up over the years recently.

Evertonians dedication is second to none, we sell out every week even though the team are toilet. The support for the team on the pitch is poor though and it's no surprise. It's hard to get yourself motivated watching the same dross week in week out, the same mistakes, the same formation, the same out of form players getting a game and so on. Total apathy has set in with the fans and that won't change until we see some kind of attempt of a change from the team/manager. I reckon if we see two upfront or his so called "favourite" 433 against West Ham you'd see an improved atmosphere from the start.

Goodison has always been a church for most games against average teams.

The place bounces v Liverpool, cup games and other important games, especially at night.

I personally like it that way.

The constant noise at places like Palace when its 0-0 v Middlesborough is annoying anf childish. A bit like a hippy protest or a bunch of 6 year old kids on break. Making noise for no reason is a big NO here,

Wow, that has got to be one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read

I geniuely enjoyed my weekend without Everton and that simply isn't right. First time I've ever felt so completely unentusiastic about us and football in general.

Lots of players of limited capability have received great support from the crowd over the years. They tend to be the ones who leave everything on the pitch. Mick Lyons is a good example,would run through walls and never gave less than 100% .Our current squad would appear to want plaudits for putting their shirts on the right way round.

Denis Stracquarlursi immediately springs to mind.

A limited player, but imagine if you could transplant his attitude and application into our outfield players.

Giving one hundred per cent should be the bare minimum requirement and the crowd would respond accordingly too.

There are 2 types of atmosphere at Goodison, one for the majority of games which you rightly say is one of, if not the quietest in the league. Then there are the bigger games where the bigger sides come, like United and Liverpool which they both played for. They're obviously going to think that Goodison was hostile to come to. Neville got sent off for kicking a ball in to the crowd as he couldn't handle the nature of the atmosphere when they were losing.

I always find it interesting that players of lesser clubs still comment on the atmosphere even when the away fans have outsung us for the whole game and the atmosphere has been dead. It's because the fans are so close to the pitch unlike at other grounds. And is why when things aren't going well, the negativity can spread to the players as they can hear the groans and comments.

But despite that, whilst we could improve our atmosphere against the lesser sides, it's not down to the fans to get the players going, to put in good performances and to get wins. That should be an additional helping hand they get, not the main factor. The players and manager are the ones who are to blame for our situation and they are the ones who need to get us out of this mess. It doesn't look like Silva will be able to do it.
I think part of the problem is that people think of 'atmosphere' being like a carnival, all pre-rehearsed little songs that everyone joins in with and jumps up and down. Goodison's never like that though, even in those games you're talking about. When players talk about the intimidating atmosphere they don't mean we were singing a song from a musical really harmoniously, they mean we're roaring at the referee when decisions go against us and hurling abuse at players who came within 10 feet. Players find that intimidating, even if it doesn't translate to an 'atmosphere' for those watching on TV.

I saw an ex referee talking about the introduction of VAR and he basically said 'just wait til you get told you have to disallow a last minute winner at Goodison and then tell me it's great'. The atmosphere at Goodison is different to a lot of grounds, but it's still intimidating even if we don't all have songsheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.