2020/21 Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem with him if he stays fit and plays his role as a midfield cog. Oh, and keeps his trap shut.

My hope is, and it may be something of a forlorn hope at this point, but seeing Doucoure and particularly Allan come in, with zero fuss and just start bossing games has given him a bit of a re-appraisal. What's quite clear is he is not very suited to playing in a poor team, either mentally or technically. However if he can see better players are around him he will be on his game as well. He seems to have a bit of a different mentality so far, and in truth since Ancelotti arrived.

My hope is, and it may be something of a forlorn hope at this point, but seeing Doucoure and particularly Allan come in, with zero fuss and just start bossing games has given him a bit of a re-appraisal. What's quite clear is he is not very suited to playing in a poor team, either mentally or technically. However if he can see better players are around him he will be on his game as well. He seems to have a bit of a different mentality so far, and in truth since Ancelotti arrived.

Yes, agree, he's a player who can't improve a team on his own necessarily but can be the supporting player which allows the more creative players to do their thing. Whole and sum of the parts etc.

Thought he played well last night, the best game i’ve seen him have for us - not a high bar before anyone says! Just listened to his interview post game, actually didn’t sound like a complete bell - new season PR charm offensive? He’ll be useful if he’s can stay fit but it’s such a big if...fingers crossed for him.

Yes I hope this is true, and it also means he's not a leader, which is fine, if Seamus, now James, Doucoure, Yerry, Digne are all getting better at leadership. It shows up our previous transfer policy that we didn't buy the right character players.

Anyway, nowI'm prepared to give Delph another chance - i'm worried to do it - but if he can really play like Allan's understudy - good passing, good break up play, neat forward interlinking passing, switches - then i'll behappy. On paper, Delph,Gomes and JP G looked like a good combination of midfielders - but of course, they look totally lightweight now compared to Doucoure, Allan and Gomes/Siggy.

Great times if Delph is a very good reserve, I'm happy to reverse my negative opinoins of him!
but can anyone tell me seriously

- where did we get the idea he has a bad attitude ?
- is he really rubbish or was he just injured?
-

I was not a fan of his signing and was fully on board with him being sold this summer... but I will say he’s been very solid so far this season. If he can continue to play at that level then he’ll be a nice squad player this year.

I was not a fan of his signing and was fully on board with him being sold this summer... but I will say he’s been very solid so far this season. If he can continue to play at that level then he’ll be a nice squad player this year.

By "this season" you mean 1 game?

Status
Not open for further replies.