2020/21 Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish with Delph there had been an incentivised contract. Appearance or performance based, or a 1 year provisional. I know its hard to get players to accept that, but at his age and injury history would have been wise...or he could have gone to Leeds or somewhere else. he wasn't an unmissable signing. Gomes, Bernard on the other hand I understand the risk we took - free signings, big pedigree and history and should have / could have turned out much better for us. Iwobi is a shocker. He should have been £20m at most, and that too is an 'Arsenal Premium' when he's actually only worth £15m. He has always looked good in theory but never ever had consistent goals or assists.

I wish with Delph there had been an incentivised contract. Appearance or performance based, or a 1 year provisional. I know its hard to get players to accept that, but at his age and injury history would have been wise...or he could have gone to Leeds or somewhere else. he wasn't an unmissable signing. Gomes, Bernard on the other hand I understand the risk we took - free signings, big pedigree and history and should have / could have turned out much better for us. Iwobi is a shocker. He should have been £20m at most, and that too is an 'Arsenal Premium' when he's actually only worth £15m. He has always looked good in theory but never ever had consistent goals or assists.
I am not sure you are allowed to do that unfortunately.

The signing of Delph seemed like a good idea for relatively small money. He could give good cover both as a full back and in midfield and if he wasn't made of poor quality glass it could have been worthwhile.

I think his arrogance is what turns people against him.
Gbamin has a far worse injury record while at Everton but get sympathy and support from Evertonians everywhere.

The signing of Delph seemed like a good idea for relatively small money. He could give good cover both as a full back and in midfield and if he wasn't made of poor quality glass it could have been worthwhile.

Gbamin has a far worse injury record while at Everton but get sympathy and support from Evertonians everywhere.
Gbamin probably gets more sympathy than Delph because when he has been on the pitch, he has actually looked like he cares and is trying, and hasn't told one of our younger players to eff off.

Gbamin probably gets more sympathy than Delph because when he has been on the pitch, he has actually looked like he cares and is trying, and hasn't told one of our younger players to eff off.

You mean you can't do short term contracts or build in incentives?
What is the real reason for everyone assuming he's arrogant? Is it the documentary when he gave the 'team talk' to his colleagues
And do we really really think he doesn't care, or does it just look like that cos he's trying to be a holding midfielder.
it's sometimes a bit like the accusations levelled at James - his job is not to make sprints and chase down players, he sits in the right place and makes killer passes, shots and little neat tricks. Dont know what we really expected from Delph, but we got nothing.

I don't think a £8.5m rising to £10m transfer fee and £80k a week in wages for a 30 year old injury prone player (even before he joined us) was a good idea mate.

Last edited:
I dislike Delph, but think the criticism should be aimed at the club.

The club signed this waste of space. The club appears to be doing nothing to get shut of him.

Has this clown not gone yet then.

6cd4720dfd6a7886db39054047145153.gif

I don't think a £8.5m rising to £10m transfer fee and £80k a week in wages for a 30 year old injury prone player (even before he joined us) was a good idea mate.
I’ll admit it, I thought It didn’t seem that bad at the time . I , very very wrongly , thought he might provide some much needed leadership and winning mentality but obviously I based that mostly on an a couple of minutes of an Amazon documentary not lengthy investigation and scouting .

I dislike Delph, but think the criticism should be aimed at the club.

The club signed this waste of space. The club appears to be doing nothing to get shut of him.
The club can’t ‘get shut of him’ without reaching agreement with him and his agent over the remaining element of his contract.
The agent will know he’s not likely to be in the plans for the future so will probably be looking to arrange a loan deal… as there’s unlikely to be anybody willing to pay a fee and meet his current salary package.

The club can’t ‘get shut of him’ without reaching agreement with him and his agent over the remaining element of his contract.
The agent will know he’s not likely to be in the plans for the future so will probably be looking to arrange a loan deal… as there’s unlikely to be anybody willing to pay a fee and meet his current salary package.

I never suggested it would be easy. I’m not convinced there enough effort going into getting rid, if any.

Everton has been a retirement home for this type of player since schneiderlin, player's retiring seem to be getting younger and younger the higher the wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.