Confirmed Signing Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be interested to know his wage and any promises made about playing time.
Wages are 100k plus, he was on 90 at city.

As for playing time
Delph explained that getting regular football was a factor in him moving away from the Premier League champions.

"I wanted to be playing more regularly and the opportunity to come and play for Everton was too good of an opportunity to turn down,” he said.

I said before he wouldn't leave city to sit on the bench here, his starting.

Why would we take a fee far lower than players book values when it affects FFP ?

I do wish you’d stop banging on about ffp so much. We’ve made money on vlasic, we’ll make money on lookman, we got money for Robinson for net book value purposes or however you want to word it.

The way you post is almost like you’d rather let players run down their contracts and go for free rather than take a net book loss on them.

If we could get £5m for bolasie and £15m for tosun that’s £20m into the club, which would be a good thing.

Book values are a concern for clubs playing in Europe and spending far too heavily and for geeks.

Last edited:
What if some of them don’t want to leave? Mirallas for example is probably perfectly happy picking up a pay cheque on our bench. McCarthy too. Tosun might think he can still make the team. We can’t just sell players who don’t agree to the move.
I didn’t mention mirallas. Of course some of them might not want to leave, but it doesn’t change the point at hand. There are a dozen or so of them, some of them surely will be happy to go. Is McCarthy really on the sort of money that nobody else could get near? I wouldn’t have thought so. You’ve got the same people on here arguing both that we don’t need delph because we’ve got McCarthy and that nobody else in the world would buy McCarthy off us, it’s a bit weird.

As for playing time
Delph explained that getting regular football was a factor in him moving away from the Premier League champions.

"I wanted to be playing more regularly and the opportunity to come and play for Everton was too good of an opportunity to turn down,” he said.

Still has to earn his place in the team just like anyone else. Competition for places here will probably be not as hard as it was there.

As for playing time

He's hardly likely to say " well Everton offered me 100 bags a week for 3 years, 10 bags a week more than City.. and I won't even have to move house, so that keeps the Mrs sweet. No pressure either at Everton, they would be made up with 6th in the league and a bit of a cup run.. "

As for playing time

If we're looking for indications on this from quotes, Silva has also said he's signed Delph for competition in midfield.

Makes sense as there was no competition last season, given our back-ups were Davies and Schneiderlin. Gomes in particular I think would benefit from this. Whoever the first choice pair are, we were looking to add a player to offer a genuine alternative who we can afford to play regularly if needed without a big drop-off. So 3 good midfielders. Same as we had at centre back last season.

I also doubt (to put it mildly) the club are signing a player with Delph's injury record to be a first XI starter, no matter how cheap he is. If Gana leaves, we'll buy another midfielder and end up with 3 either way.

Im lost, this is the same model Brands has been using at PSV and that hes said he will continue here...

So the club should sign players in a particular order or the people responsible dont have sound business acumen?

Just wow

Why would we take a fee far lower than players book values when it affects FFP ?
1. You’re lost about what? Brands’s Model at PSV was the same as most competent recruiters (although better executed than most) in that he bought young players to improve an supplemented them with experience. Anybody who said delph wouldn’t sign was demonstrably wrong, because he has, which is my point.

2. It’s not about signing players in the right order it’s about controlling the narrative. Football is a business and a product whether we like it or not, it’s important to market yourself well and give the right impression. Selling your player of the year on the eve of the new season doesn’t do that and gives opportunity for the naysayers to say nothing has changed, which is not the look moshiri is going for. If you don’t understand then yes I agree, wow.

3. Only tosuns book value would be higher than that, so that’s a pretty poor post really all in all.

https://www.[Publication is blacklisted]/revealed-everton-agree-terms-of-29m-deal-in-fee-wages/

£120k a week apparently.

The first time I’ve registered on another fans forum. As a ling time City supporter, been going since 1969, I would like to give my opinion on FD. He was appreciated by most City followers, I’m sure you have seen plenty of him and formed opinions but to those that are underwhelmed by the signing, you shouldn’t be. Delph is a versatile, skilful player who’s not afraid to stick his boot in, still part of the England squad at £10m an absolute bargain. He’s got a great attitude in and off the pitch (All or Nothing doc on Prime shows the latter), he will be one of the best value signings of the season and the only reason he’s left is to get more games whilst in his prime. BTW, for some reason my footballing hero growing up was Alan Ball, when I was a young lad in the early 70’s I had a pair of his white boots that fastened on the side!

Status
Not open for further replies.