Confirmed Signing Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manchester City fans coming on patting us in the head with the 'no chance he getting near our first team but he'll be a star at Everton' shout. I hate you future. City!

When I first saw the rumours of this I'm thinking no thanks. I'm not convinced about his quality (although City supporters on here are saying good things about him and they see him week in week out), he's been pretty injury prone over the last 5 years, and his age doesn't fit with what I want to see in our new signings.

But given the number of outlets reporting this now, you have to assume that we are at least in negotiations with City and that there is a good chance that this is going to happen. So as I'm 100% behind what Marcel and Marco are trying to achieve here, I've decided to accept the signing and to look for the positives rather than the negatives.

Firstly, and I haven't really seen it mentioned much in here (without going through all the posts), the most obvious one is that he is a natural left footer. This will bring so much more balance to our midfield and will allow us to play a proper 433 when we play some of the more difficult games. Secondly, he has experience he can share with what is becoming am increasingly younger squad. Experience in Europe, experience in winning trophies, experience playing the passing and pressing game that Marco is trying to introduce. Thirdly he is cheap, if the price quoted is correct. His salary won't be an issue provided we don't give him too long a contract (3 years for me) and we are able to offload the deadwood on our books. He is also home grown, and we are gradually losing our numbers in this regard.

The bottom line for me is that we need to trust in what the management are looking to do, and if they feel that Delph is what is needed in the squad right now, then we should get behind him.

Experienced international left sided midfielder who can slot in at LB as cover for Digne.

All for £8.5 million. This cost will be covered by the sale of Besic and McCarthy. Two no-marks who would never get near our first team for one decent squad/utility player.

Absolute no-brainer. State of all you bedwetting, fifa-playing virgins.
You have been warned before about sitting on the fence in discussions
Either say what you feel or don’t reply lol

Im surprised but open minded on this signing. He wouldn't have been my first pick however.

I would have been a big advocate of signing him form Leeds and Villa at those times, but with him getting on and his role becoming more of a multi purpose one at City and his age profile, i had thought that ship has sailed.

I rate both Silva and Brands at putting together the right blend of player and if you have the faith you have to back their decisions so while like everyone this one is a bit of a shocker, i still back the decision.

On the lad himself, its easy to forget his days at Leeds at Villa, he was a standout marquee player that earned him his big move and trophy laden few years, via internationals and tournaments etc. Primarily a central midfielder and a NO 8 who can play a 6 - and half thre lad has many attributes.

I think significantly he is left footed so he will suppose the opposing side of the pitch to Gomes and link that channel between Digne and Richarlson, his experience lends itself to be able to support the attacking play but also compensate on the left flank defensively for Digne when he is getting forward and tuck in inside and cover.

He really fits Silvas style of play one of his key attributes is taking the ball under pressure, as we know Silva wants to play out from the back, Delph is excellent at taking it under pressure and using it to provide transition and move it through midfield, this is something we have struggled with when pressed high or met a team of grocks.

Equally he has a deceptive turn of pace and good engine, he can spray a ball, he can dribble, he can play one twos and hes capable of cutting a defense while he is also an excellent presser, challenger and tackler . Hes a very well rounded player.

Actually the more i think about this singing the more it makes sense to me, id liken him Dembelle at Spurs and the more i analyse his attributes the more i think its a very positive signing. Ive been a huge advocate of big powerful No 8 for a while now largely because i think we struggle in transition from defense-midfield -attack and getting the ball between the lines, i also feel we lack mobility through the center, while i wanted a big physical presence in there. Delph marks all those boxes, but while hes not the big physical presence i would have liked, both Brands and Silva i think have gone for technique, speed and athleticism in a no 8 rather then a Doucoure type.

Then we have the deal, if the fee reported is correct, there is little risk and we will be confident of beating the spread on player trading for inevitable upside. One concern i would have would be injuries, but he seems to have been relatively fit mostly since 2014. Overall the value of this deal could enable an awful lot else on our limited means.

Overall, i can see the sense, value and attributes this deal brings, it really could improve the trem and give our midfield a different dimension. I wouldn't agree with much of the commentary about him being a defensive midfielder hes a No 8 in my eyes, though he does have good defensive qualities i dont think he will be anchoring our midfield.
My feelings exactly
I was a bit surprised at rumours of the signing but hopefully Brands /Silva have a plan
I can’t see him being an automatic starter but
can cover Gana / Gomes / Digne and as you say he could start certain games and maybe as a sub have an impact on games
I doubt very much he is a direct replacement for Gana but the close of the transfer window in France will tell the tale

When I first saw the rumours of this I'm thinking no thanks. I'm not convinced about his quality (although City supporters on here are saying good things about him and they see him week in week out), he's been pretty injury prone over the last 5 years, and his age doesn't fit with what I want to see in our new signings.

But given the number of outlets reporting this now, you have to assume that we are at least in negotiations with City and that there is a good chance that this is going to happen. So as I'm 100% behind what Marcel and Marco are trying to achieve here, I've decided to accept the signing and to look for the positives rather than the negatives.

Firstly, and I haven't really seen it mentioned much in here (without going through all the posts), the most obvious one is that he is a natural left footer. This will bring so much more balance to our midfield and will allow us to play a proper 433 when we play some of the more difficult games. Secondly, he has experience he can share with what is becoming am increasingly younger squad. Experience in Europe, experience in winning trophies, experience playing the passing and pressing game that Marco is trying to introduce. Thirdly he is cheap, if the price quoted is correct. His salary won't be an issue provided we don't give him too long a contract (3 years for me) and we are able to offload the deadwood on our books. He is also home grown, and we are gradually losing our numbers in this regard.

The bottom line for me is that we need to trust in what the management are looking to do, and if they feel that Delph is what is needed in the squad right now, then we should get behind him.
I forgot to mention his professionalism. He seems a decent sort who would fit right in with the rest of the squad.

We have got rid of Jagielka and his leadership abilities, seems to me that he is being bought in to replace that hole, I loved Jags but fight and fire and an ability to be versatile were never really his strong points. It's a bloody good signing this imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.