Expectations - what can we achieve by May 2020?

What can a new manager realistically achieve by May?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No you don't understand. The emphasis is on building a side not on metrics where you finish. In fact that particular metric is meaningless as teams can strengthen or weaken the following season.

That makes even less sense to me. So, imagine if you were a player that has the option of joining any team in the Premier League from 7th down. Are you saying you'd be just as likely to choose to join the team that finished 17th, because you think the position is meaningless, as a team that finished higher with four or even five times as many wins in the league, that scored twice as many goals, earned twice as much TV money from the league position etc etc? Because that is what you are saying. That a team that finishes 17th is potentially better than the team that finished 7th?

The idea that the next season will always be better than the one before isn't rational if you don't have a clear idea about what it is that you are building upon. You can only know what you are building upon by testing it over 38 games and by its position in the league. That's how you decide what your strengths and weaknesses are and how to best address them with the resources you have for the next season.

Of course he didn't choose Silva, Marco was appointed in May, Brands didn't come to the club until June

Agreed, but surely he must have been in the decision loop? These high level appointments are not an interview day one and a job offer day two. He was probably asked if he could work with Silva before the job was confirmed, but not given a choice of Silva or not.

That makes even less sense to me. So, imagine if you were a player that has the option of joining any team in the Premier League from 7th down. Are you saying you'd be just as likely to choose to join the team that finished 17th, because you think the position is meaningless, as a team that finished higher with four or even five times as many wins in the league, that scored twice as many goals, earned twice as much TV money from the league position etc etc? Because that is what you are saying. That a team that finishes 17th is potentially better than the team that finished 7th?

The idea that the next season will always be better than the one before isn't rational if you don't have a clear idea about what it is that you are building upon. You can only know what you are building upon by testing it over 38 games and by its position in the league. That's how you decide what your strengths and weaknesses are and how to best address them with the resources you have for the next season.

Has this worked for Everton since the days of Martinez? Of course not, but it does stop your fantasy thinking based on not so solid evidence.

In terms of position a top half finish is a “big recovery” but actually I don’t think it’s takes a big recovery to finish top half.

It takes beating teams we should be able to beat, showing fight and spirit and not suffering (m)any more injuries.

Has this worked for Everton since the days of Martinez? Of course not, but it does stop your fantasy thinking based on not so solid evidence.

I don't pretend to have all the answers or even some of them on occasions, but if you're going to criticise an idea or a plan you've got to at least outline what this alternative, favoured approach actually is and explain why its better.

This building a team mantra that rejects objective facts sounds to me like sticking a load of ideas over a dartboard and just seeing which one you happen to hit.

I don't pretend to have all the answers or even some of them on occasions, but if you're going to criticise an idea or a plan you've got to at least outline what this alternative, favoured approach actually is and explain why its better.

This building a team mantra that rejects objective facts sounds to me like sticking a load of ideas over a dartboard and just seeing which one you happen to hit.

Your so called objective facts isn't at all objective due to the randomness of how teams behave and improve/worsen. Take Leceister City for example. They were nearly relegated the season before they won the league.

Last edited:
Your so called objective facts isn't at all objective due to the randomness of how teams behave and improve/worsen. Take Leceister City for example. They were nearly relegated the season before they won the league.
You're still deflecting. What's the alternative? How does it work? Why is it better?

Criticising my system for trying to be objective seems a bit strange when you apparently don't even recognise there to be an objective fact.

A midtable place, a run in the cup and a result against the other lot. Moreover, a sense of anticipation towards next season and the future generally.

You're still deflecting. What's the alternative? How does it work? Why is it better?

Criticising my system for trying to be objective seems a bit strange when you apparently don't even recognise there to be an objective fact.

No, the whole point of my post was to point out that you are simply implementing a flawed objective target system. Setting targets can be counterproductive for a developing team.

No, the whole point of my post was to point out that you are simply implementing a flawed objective target system. Setting targets can be counterproductive for a developing team.

How can you say any system is flawed if you don't propose an alternative for comparison?

Being against targets is a bad idea in general. It's the only reason we ever achieve anything by organising things into manageable goals. Failing to achieve them is a common and essential part of life.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.