Everton's poor record in Europe since 1963

Status
Not open for further replies.
....many other famous clubs would be happy to have ‘only won one trophy’.

For some reason, i’ve never thought we play the way successful clubs play in European competition. The Reds, for example, have differing quality over the decades but always seem suited to European ties. It’s a bit weird.
Liverpool’s belief and motivation, especially in Europe, are incomparable to us. They thrive on the pressure of the big game.

That team that won the CL in 2005 was awful, it would probably be in a mid-table scrap nowadays.

I am looking forward to reading this. Interestingly back in the 60s when I was a kid my dad was very lukewarm about the relatively new European Competitions and laughed at Shankly and co getting so enthusiastic about them. It contradicted his pride at Everton going around the world to spread the name. As a club we seemed a bit uncertain whether we wanted it or not?? The Moenchengladbach match was unbelievable by the way!!! Robbed by Panathanaikos though... and robbed of chance of further glory by Heysel. But overall we have just not played frequently or well enough which is a poor record we should try to improve on.

Liverpool’s belief and motivation, especially in Europe, are incomparable to us. They thrive on the pressure of the big game.

That team that won the CL in 2005 was awful, it would probably be in a mid-table scrap nowadays.

...there is a ‘way to play’ in Europe and I recall that 2005 team getting beaten by Palace a few weeks before they won that trophy.

Take 63-64
For some reason we were in a preliminary round, who knows why. And who do we get, some no marks? Nooo, not us, we get the Italian Champions, who would win it that season And the next.
When we got the draw Catterick looked at the opposition, then his very slow LB, went out and bought Sandy Brown, only to find there was a signing deadline...which we missed - Everton That, even then.
So, with poor form (remember we don't dynasties) and injuries, players rushed back too soon from injury, no proper LB, we have a goal disallowed for offside, even though they were basically the same rules, it was stricter then.

To sum up; we draw the best team in the Comp. and over 2 legs lose by 1 goal with a scratch team, No LB and a kid making his first team debut.

I honestly feel if we had played them with the team and form we finished with at the end of the season we wouldve done them over.
Same for 1970-71.
Everton That.
Did I mention we dont do dynasties.

We may have won a lot more if we had not been unfairly banned.......
We beat the favourites in 1970 , and were unceremoniously dumped out at 1/4 final level even my hero stated there was a whiff of corruption in Greece...... v a poor Panathinaikos team managed by Puskus...... Everton that - we have no luck.......
That was my point @Joey66
I was being sarcastic.
Every blue knows our luck is in abundance.
Unfortunately that luck is bad luck.

We've barely played in Europe. It's not like nowadays when you get the top 7 getting a go at European football every season. Spurs have got a great chance at making the final wouldn't have even been in the competition during the 70s and 80s.
We also suffered under fairs cup rule of on city one club.
iirc, one season we fjnished 3rd behind the rs, missed out, Newcastle finished 8th, got in, and won it

Edit; 1968, last thing they ever won...if you dont count multiple promotions after being relegated

Last edited:

Beggars belief why people feel the need to mention them in a thread about us.

Take 63-64
For some reason we were in a preliminary round, who knows why. And who do we get, some no marks? Nooo, not us, we get the Italian Champions, who would win it that season And the next.
When we got the draw Catterick looked at the opposition, then his very slow LB, went out and bought Sandy Brown, only to find there was a signing deadline...which we missed - Everton That, even then.
So, with poor form (remember we don't dynasties) and injuries, players rushed back too soon from injury, no proper LB, we have a goal disallowed for offside, even though they were basically the same rules, it was stricter then.

To sum up; we draw the best team in the Comp. and over 2 legs lose by 1 goal with a scratch team, No LB and a kid making his first team debut.

I honestly feel if we had played them with the team and form we finished with at the end of the season we wouldve done them over.
Same for 1970-71.
Everton That.
Did I mention we dont do dynasties.
I think that's when Harvey made his debut

Not withstanding the fact that this might be a rs, look at the state of us (in europe) look at the state of you (poor) wind up I've been thinking some more about it, risky I know this thinking lark but hey ho.

Apart from the whole 'Everton That' nature of the footballing universe and its capricious rs gods, plus injuries and poor form.
There are other, broader factors in play; namely the Insular footballing ethos of the english game as shown by the Hungarians in 1953.

Back in the day to win the League you had to 'fight for the right to party'.
If you got relegated or had ambitions to be in the top divison you literally had to kick your was out and climb over the bodies of your rivals
60yrs on and none of this has changed much...see today Burnley Vs City, Dyche Vs Pep, chalk and cheese.

A la Rab C Nesbitt...I'll will tell you this.City are the nearest team I've seen to the 69-70 holy trinity.

Are City in still in the CL, will they win it this season? No.

Just like City, that team in only average form managed to get bundled out on away goals by team of well drilled, tactically smart ( coached by Puskas of 1953 fame mention earlier) technical competant, foreigners. Who used all the 'tricks' and stuff that were unknown in England back then but had been common in Europe, car horns all night, dodgy Reffs, diving, snidey digs and elbows.
But they also had a degree of tactical technical ball skills and formations that even if they were known would be dismissed as foreign, not british...this is how WE play the game Luigi, we invented it ffs.

The 62-63 side ( and all the others ) had only moved on from the 2:3:5 that Dixie would know, just after the war.
We still played with 3 at the back, one CH and 2 FBs Parker, Labone, Meagan, Numbered 2, 5 and 3
2 half back, who were what we would call sort of defensive MFs now, Gabriel, Harris/Kay.
Wingers were still wingers and played wide; numbered 7 & 11
Then as now the No9 was mostly the big man down the middle.
The 8s and 10s were usually ball players/attacking MFs
Where we differed was at 8, 9 and 10. Catterick, not a complete tactical dummy, saw the hole and space infront of the 4 and 6 and brought in the more pragmatic Stevens to fill it. Replacing the mor re skillful and attack minded crow darling Bobby Collins. This had 3 benefits from Cattericks pov, it filled the hole, it brought in a good amount of cash for a player he thought could, aged 30, only go one way...downhill (with hindsight a big, big mistake) and probably best of all got rid of what he saw as a loud mouth know it all who would argue with him and didn't think the sun shone out of Harrys bum.

Anyway back to the big picture.

Then as now, the League was all about going forward, scoring goals, action, it was what we wanted, we used to sing it.
Attack, attack, attackattackattack.
In Italy they had sweepers, sometimes in front of a back 4, sometimes behind, libreros, false number nines...not unknown, Don Revie was one in the late 50s, Young and Vernon sometimes took turns at it, but it was rare.

The short version was that although we had defenders, we didnt know how to defend, how to close the game down away from hope. The cliched KITAP1

So, I hear you say, how do you explain Celtic and United winning the Eupopean Cup in 67 & 68.
Foreign teams can peak and need rebuilding too, poor form and injuries, even though we might not admit it and only happens to us, it doesnt it happened
The Inter and Benfica teams had peaked
Plus it has to be said Celtic and United were good teams with some great players...5yrs later united were getting relegated stuff happens
But the main reason is. Teams learned to defend, not a lot, but some.
In 63 we played a slightly modified 2:3:5 a type of 3:3:4,
By the 66 cup final we had gone to a true back 4 of Wright, Labone, Harris, Wilson. Sheffield Wed started the 2nd half with a sweeper infront of a back 4...look and see.
Ramsey's 4:3:3 wingless wonders had beaten the ( maybe) technically superior Germans
By 1972 the technically competant but only average Poles had knocked England out of the world cup. The world game had moved on from the 1st Division game without telling us again.

The demands of the 1963 1st Division and the 2019 Premier League are still at odds with Europe and the world...just ask Harry Catterick, just ask Pep.

As always...just sayin like.

Status
Not open for further replies.