Everton's poor record in Europe since 1963

Status
Not open for further replies.

shagpuss

Player Valuation: £8m
Recently read a book by Mike Owen called Der Ball Ist Rund. It's about Everton's various campaigns in Europe from 1963 up until about 2005.
The basic premise of the book is why we, as one of England's biggest clubs, have such an atrocious record in Europe:

# We've only won one trophy
# We've only ever reached two QF
# Our top all time scorer (Lukaku) has about 8 goals
# We've never knocked out a Spanish or Italian team

I love Everton playing in Europe. Just would like to see us improving our reputation over the coming years. Winning the Europa League next year would be a nice start.
Anyone else have any thoughts why we've been so poor? Obviously 1985 has played a big part but it's not the only thing.

Recently read a book by Mike Owen called Der Ball Ist Rund. It's about Everton's various campaigns in Europe from 1963 up until about 2005.
The basic premise of the book is why we, as one of England's biggest clubs, have such an atrocious record in Europe:

I love Everton playing in Europe. Just would like to see us improving our reputation over the coming years. Winning the Europa League next year would be a nice start.
Anyone else have any thoughts why we've been so poor? Obviously 1985 has played a big part but it's not the only thing.
The [Phrase removed] and Maggie T's overreaction killed a dynasty at its birth. Nothing more need be said.

Since that sky came in with their need for repeatable brands. :coffee:

Thatcher can be blamed for many things but we were rubbish in the 60s and 70s in Europe too.
We should definitely have won the 1986 European Cup and 1987 probably too.
We never even got to play 1985 Super Cup against Juventus.

Thatcher can be blamed for many things but we were rubbish in the 60s and 70s in Europe too.

We've barely played in Europe. It's not like nowadays when you get the top 7 getting a go at European football every season. Spurs have got a great chance at making the final wouldn't have even been in the competition during the 70s and 80s.

Last edited:
I sense you have an agenda here other than seeking an answer. Perhaps to help you get over an impending disappointment?

No agenda. Just a bit curious about our poor record. It does annoy me though the way the RS got us kicked out when we should have been winning the big one. It's totally airbrushed by them when they talk about their history.
The Everton management at the time really should have fought the European ban. They just seem to roll over and accept it. Thatcher of course was happy to go along with it as part of her wider attack on the working-classes.

She can also be blamed for imposing the massively unfair ban we endured.

UEFA simply held up her ruling, it was her idea.

Of course, it’s always important to remember that 39 people were unlawfully killed by Liverpool fans too.

39 lives lost tragically trumps football matters.

The Everton management at the time really should have fought the European ban. They just seem to roll over and accept it. Thatcher of course was happy to go along with it as part of her wider attack on the working-classes.
As stated earlier, she instigated the ban.

And the club did fight it.

Howard Kendall and Philip Carter went to London in person to appeal.

Are you sure you’ve all the facts here?

As stated earlier, she instigated the ban.

And the club did fight it.

Howard Kendall and Philip Carter went to London in person to appeal.

Are you sure you’ve all the facts here?

To be honest I didn't know that. I just thought Everton rolled over. I suppose today such a blanket ban couldn't happen. The various clubs lawyers would have a field day.

We've only won one European trophy?
Eff me.
Oh well,everyday is a school day.
We may have won a lot more if we had not been unfairly banned.......
We beat the favourites in 1970 , and were unceremoniously dumped out at 1/4 final level even my hero stated there was a whiff of corruption in Greece...... v a poor Panathinaikos team managed by Puskus...... Everton that - we have no luck.......

Last edited:

We dont do dynasties. For some reason its hard for us to translate the previous seasons form that got you into Europe into mounting a challenge.
Some teams get luck, some dont.
We don't

Panathinaikos in '71, the players felt the referee was unduly generous to them in Greece, following a home leg in which Jimmy Husband was kicked off the pitch in the first minute. Not saying we would have won the final against Cruyff's Ajax, but it would have been a far better final. Think we were the favourites after beating Monchengladbach. Other than in '85, we have been too nice, needed that bit of snide which Reid and Gray gave us

....many other famous clubs would be happy to have ‘only won one trophy’.

For some reason, i’ve never thought we play the way successful clubs play in European competition. The Reds, for example, have differing quality over the decades but always seem suited to European ties. It’s a bit weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.