Everton's footballing identity: what should it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berenger

Player Valuation: £8m
This topic has permeated a few discussions including Allardyce, replacements for Allardyce, Steve Walsh, Moshiri's tenure, and almost every match thread this season. Since Moyes we've flip-flopped between various styles, and the signings have flip-flopped accordingly. Even pundits and journos are onto us, so things must be bad. For instance, Jenas said this weekend that we are the only team in the league whose style of play he couldn't predict pre-match. Hard to disagree. Imagine being a player in that environment.

The main thing on Moshiri's to do list right now should be picking a style, a manager who suits that style, and shipping out the players in the squad that don't suit it this summer. It's an absolute indictment of the last two years under Moshiri that we can't even evaluate whether his on-pitch strategy has been successful, simply because it doesn't exist! If you asked him, he'd probably say 'winning football' before launching into some nonsense anecdote about Tarot cards or something.

So what should our on-pitch identity be in your opinion, both in the short-term and for the next 3-5 years? Interested especially in people's views on the short-term, i.e. next season, given that we'll inevitably still have many of this season's players here. But also where we should be aiming to get to.

For me, a deep defensive, counter-attacking style would suit the current crop best. Over time, I hate to say it but I'd love us to transition from that to the aggressive style of football Liverpool play.

(Apologies if there's already a thread or decent article on this. I don't tend to start threads but haven't seen anything on this issue alone.)

I just want the team to be a group of hard working, technically proficient football players who can find each other on the pitch with little drama.

It doesn't even need to be chock-full of 'top quality' - just smatterings here and there are enough, particularly at the front end.

I think that's more than achievable for us.

Pace, passion, aggression, intensity, organisation, pretty much everything they are not right now.

A team who will graft above everything else, then add some talent and flair into that mix once it’s settled.

Be nice to be known as a side who develop top youth players whilst playing attacking football. Make ourselves a good destination for hot prospects looking to play in the Premier League. Get an actual decent scouting system going with well informed suggestions rather than blowing all kinds of money on expensive players from our own league.

You look at what teams like Leipzig have done by having a bit of faith and patience with younger players and it's paying off for them. Their back four against Dortmund were ages 20, 25, 19, 21, Kevin Kampl was the senior player in their line up at 27. Of course we would need a hungry manager (and I don't mean for fish, chips, mushy peas, jumbo sausage and a king size carton of gravy) to push a philosophy at the club but i'll guess we will see what happens in the summer.

This topic has permeated a few discussions including Allardyce, replacements for Allardyce, Steve Walsh, Moshiri's tenure, and almost every match thread this season. Since Moyes we've flip-flopped between various styles, and the signings have flip-flopped accordingly. Even pundits and journos are onto us, so things must be bad. For instance, Jenas said this weekend that we are the only team in the league whose style of play he couldn't predict pre-match. Hard to disagree. Imagine being a player in that environment.

The main thing on Moshiri's to do list right now should be picking a style, a manager who suits that style, and shipping out the players in the squad that don't suit it this summer. It's an absolute indictment of the last two years under Moshiri that we can't even evaluate whether his on-pitch strategy has been successful, simply because it doesn't exist! If you asked him, he'd probably say 'winning football' before launching into some nonsense anecdote about Tarot cards or something.

So what should our on-pitch identity be in your opinion, both in the short-term and for the next 3-5 years? Interested especially in people's views on the short-term, i.e. next season, given that we'll inevitably still have many of this season's players here. But also where we should be aiming to get to.

For me, a deep defensive, counter-attacking style would suit the current crop best. Over time, I hate to say it but I'd love us to transition from that to the aggressive style of football Liverpool play.

(Apologies if there's already a thread or decent article on this. I don't tend to start threads but haven't seen anything on this issue alone.)

You lost me right there at that shaded bit.

Heaven help us if Moshiri is left to pick a style :Blink:

What we need Moshiri to do is to somehow find a proper football expert to look after the running of the football end of things.

A DOF or a CEO or whatever the term should be.

And then clear off out the road and let him or her get on with finding a style or even a version of a philosophyball to take us forward.......involving himself only when the cheques need signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.