Evertonians in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic this a bit sorry but was there an old Everton song to Shure they come from Ireland-A little bit of heaven fell from the sky one day?

Off topic this a bit sorry but was there an old Everton song to Shure they come from Ireland-A little bit of heaven fell from the sky one day?

Never heard this at GP (only going since 81) but the words are:

Sure a little bit of Heaven fell from out the sky one day
and it nestled in the ocean in a place so far away
and when the angels found it sure it looked so sweet and fair
they said suppose we leave it for it lookes so peaceful there

So they sprinkled it with stardust just to make the shamorcks grow
it's the only place you'll find them no matter where you go
then they darted it with silver just to make the lakes look grand
and when they had it finsihed sure they called it Ireland

Yep, that's him. I was going to ask does he still have the tache but I knew he would.

Do you know Gary G, KK ?

Yes, little chap, played guitar in a band?

He was always around as well.

Now, Gary was a Scouser lived in that London and went the game with Patsy Slevin.

Haven't seen him thus long many a year, Ed.

I seem to recall he re-married and it was about then he dropped off my radar.

As a youngster I remember that part of the trip with the old Dublin ESC in the early 80s was to meet the London train at Lime Street carrying the ESCLA lads. We had come over on the overnight B&I.

Never knew the characters but just remember them all being sound - maybe not politically correct in today's world mind you!!

Oh the ESCLA boys were anything but PC :pint2:

Yes, little chap, played guitar in a band?

He was always around as well.

Now, Gary was a Scouser lived in that London and went the game with Patsy Slevin.

Haven't seen him thus long many a year, Ed.

I seem to recall he re-married and it was about then he dropped off my radar.

Yep that's him. Know him very well as a fellow bluesman in both senses of the word.

You a musician, Ed?

Yep, guitar. Gary was a vocalist and used to front a band called the Roadrunners. Went to see them regularly and had a few jams with Gary. We met up for Everton games and that's how I met Pat and Paddy and some other ESCLA crowd.

Yep, guitar. Gary was a vocalist and used to front a band called the Roadrunners. Went to see them regularly and had a few jams with Gary. We met up for Everton games and that's how I met Pat and Paddy and some other ESCLA crowd.

Excellent.....a small world indeed :)

Have you heard anything about him in recent years?

Never heard this at GP (only going since 81) but the words are:

Sure a little bit of Heaven fell from out the sky one day
and it nestled in the ocean in a place so far away
and when the angels found it sure it looked so sweet and fair
they said suppose we leave it for it lookes so peaceful there

So they sprinkled it with stardust just to make the shamorcks grow
it's the only place you'll find them no matter where you go
then they darted it with silver just to make the lakes look grand
and when they had it finsihed sure they called it Ireland

Yes that's it, it was only a guess that we may have done it, I know Tranmere had a try of it.

How many did we used bring down for the Everton home games from Ireland?

Yes that's it, it was only a guess that we may have done it, I know Tranmere had a try of it.

How many did we used bring down for the Everton home games from Ireland?

Obviously depended on the opposition. The old Dublin ESC in the 80s used to bring about 30-40 to most home matches, but this was reduced for Derbies to maybe 10-15 due to demand. It was a pretty demanding trip on the overnight ferries 10.15 pm to 7.30 a.m. Fri/Sat and back Sat/Sun .

There was also the more expensive option of going with Atlas travel agency.

With the advent of Ryanair, there are probably around 200 going to most home matches and there are quite a few ST holders that live near Dublin or Cork airports. For the bigger fixtures, the numbers would probably be closer to 500/600 form the ROI. I don't know what kind of numbers travel from NI.

Obviously depended on the opposition. The old Dublin ESC in the 80s used to bring about 30-40 to most home matches, but this was reduced for Derbies to maybe 10-15 due to demand. It was a pretty demanding trip on the overnight ferries 10.15 pm to 7.30 a.m. Fri/Sat and back Sat/Sun .

There was also the more expensive option of going with Atlas travel agency.

With the advent of Ryanair, there are probably around 200 going to most home matches and there are quite a few ST holders that live near Dublin or Cork airports. For the bigger fixtures, the numbers would probably be closer to 500/600 form the ROI. I don't know what kind of numbers travel from NI.

Some committment that on the ferries, did you even get any sleep? I guess everyone must have ended up knowing each other really well. I guess when the added interest took off in the 50s with Farrell etc it must have been in the hundreds similar to now.

Status
Not open for further replies.