Everton Youth Teams Thread

Hi all, I actually went down to the game tonight to watch, pretty good match!

Your number 9 (Dobbin?) had a few chances, needs to work on his composure in the box though as the times when he managed to time his run well (not too sure if it was late runs from him or good offside trap from our back line from where I sat, he was offside quite a few times) he seemed to just slow down when he got closer to goal, but he caused no end of trouble at times in the 1st half

Danny Mills was actually their tonight in the stand watching his lad play, it was always going to be hard up against Maswanhise (our number 11, highly rated) as he regularly trains with our 1st team and played in a few pre-season friendlies, Mills doesn't seem slow and has got a decent cross on him, Nelson and Benkovic just heading everything out that came in

I think it was from the 60th minute onwards after we got the 3rd we barely even got out of our half you were pinning us back that much, without a couple of great stops from our keeper the score could have been closer

Hi all, I actually went down to the game tonight to watch, pretty good match!

Your number 9 (Dobbin?) had a few chances, needs to work on his composure in the box though as the times when he managed to time his run well (not too sure if it was late runs from him or good offside trap from our back line from where I sat, he was offside quite a few times) he seemed to just slow down when he got closer to goal, but he caused no end of trouble at times in the 1st half

Danny Mills was actually their tonight in the stand watching his lad play, it was always going to be hard up against Maswanhise (our number 11, highly rated) as he regularly trains with our 1st team and played in a few pre-season friendlies, Mills doesn't seem slow and has got a decent cross on him, Nelson and Benkovic just heading everything out that came in

I think it was from the 60th minute onwards after we got the 3rd we barely even got out of our half you were pinning us back that much, without a couple of great stops from our keeper the score could have been closer
Your no8 Braybrooke looked a decent player, what’s his age / background?

Your no8 Braybrooke looked a decent player, what’s his age / background?
Only 17 and his first proper season in our under 23s , had a few appearances last season for the under 23s but was mainly an under 18 player

Pretty highly rated, like Maswanhise he already trains with the first team occassionally, always comfortable on the ball and quick at making a turn and running with the ball and playing the right pass

Used as a defensive midfielder right now but I think he may end up playing a bit further forward in his career, probably box to box kind of player

You may not want to watch it again but made a great pass for our 3rd goal

Only 17 and his first proper season in our under 23s , had a few appearances last season for the under 23s but was mainly an under 18 player

Pretty highly rated, like Maswanhise he already trains with the first team occassionally, always comfortable on the ball and quick at making a turn and running with the ball and playing the right pass

Used as a defensive midfielder right now but I think he may end up playing a bit further forward in his career, probably box to box kind of player

You may not want to watch it again but made a great pass for our 3rd goal

Yeah even with the Everton commentary he stood out, particularly that assist.

Sorry to say I'm not sure how many games this side will win all season. I'd stick my money on relegation right now. There's nothing positive going for it bar the excuse that they're all young
If we get Simms up front in the majority of games from now until the January window when he will no doubt go on loan then he should win us enough points to stay up.

Had to watch on Leicester website as once again the Everton one wouldn't work for me. No reply to the email I sent last week. Anyway, excellent, very knowledgeable and fair commentary. Mickey Adams (co-Commentator) gave Braybrooke man of the match and they said he was still a scholar. Also mentioned that it was closer than the scoreline suggests, thanks to their keeper making some good saves.

Another defeat but another win in the average age battle. They say you learn a lot in defeat and our boys are learning a lot this season so far!

Interesting that our goal was Anderson (20) assisting Hughes (20), two of our older players. I also think this is the first post match interview where Unsy has really bemoaned not having some of the senior players (Onyango, Iverson, John, Tyrer).

Last game: PL2 - Leicester (19.4) vs Everton (17.9)

PL2 - Blackburn (18.7) vs Everton (18.3)
PL2 - Everton (18.0) vs Liverpool (19.1)
PL2 - Crystal Palace (19.7) vs Everton (17.8)
PL2 - Everton (17.7) vs Derby County (19.0)
PJT - Morecamble (N/A) vs Everton (17.7)
PLC - Everton (18.4) vs Sheffield United (18.8)

Leban 18
Mills 17
Welch 18
Astley 19
Anderson 20
Campbell 17
Price 17
Butterfield 17
McAllister 18
Dobbin 18
Whitaker 18

Average: 17.9

Young 19
Nelson 18
Spencer-Adams 20
Daley-Campbell 20
Benkovic 24
Braybrooke 17
McAteer 19
Marcal-Madividua 18
Suengchitthawon 21
Maswanhise 18
Wakeling 20

Average: 19.4

Another defeat but another win in the average age battle. They say you learn a lot in defeat and our boys are learning a lot this season so far!

Interesting that our goal was Anderson (20) assisting Hughes (20), two of our older players. I also think this is the first post match interview where Unsy has really bemoaned not having some of the senior players (Onyango, Iverson, John, Tyrer).

Leban 18
Mills 17
Welch 18
Astley 19
Anderson 20
Campbell 17
Price 17
Butterfield 17
McAllister 18
Dobbin 18
Whitaker 18

Young 19
Nelson 18
Spencer-Adams 20
Daley-Campbell 20
Benkovic 24
Braybrooke 17
McAteer 19
Marcal-Madividua 18
Suengchitthawon 21
Maswanhise 18
Wakeling 20

I think its the 3 at the back not helping either. I would probably not have started Campbell and gone with another midfielder probably Warrington. I'm not too bothered if they lose as long as next time they don't make the same mistakes. Hopefully the injured players get back soon as there are plenty of games to go around. Playing so many games probably isn't helpful either as some players have barely rested.

Leban 18
Mills 17
Welch 18
Astley 19
Anderson 20
Campbell 17
Price 17
Butterfield 17
McAllister 18
Dobbin 18
Whitaker 18

Young 19
Nelson 18
Spencer-Adams 20
Daley-Campbell 20
Benkovic 24
Braybrooke 17
McAteer 19
Marcal-Madividua 18
Suengchitthawon 21
Maswanhise 18
Wakeling 20

I think it’s stark reality - older , more experienced players make a difference. This time last year Simms was scoring freely in the pre Christmas matches. Later in the season when they returned from injury Broadhead and Bowler were usually our best players and Broadhead contributed some key goals.
Simms and Gordon were in the first team squad on Monday, but when they were 2nd year Scholars they hardly played at U23s , any individual like Welch, Price etc have played more u23 games so far than Gordon and Simms put together did. This doesn’t mean the likes of Whitaker are better players and guaranteed to make it because they are playing at a younger age.
Playing Simms, Gordon and Branthwaite would have made a difference last night But you have to believe, and hope, playing younger players is the way to go. Lets stick with the process and see where it leads.

Other Premier League teams have 16 year olds coming into their sides in the cups and going toe to toe with actual Premier League and Championship teams. The fruit of Unsworth’s labours is Jonjoe Kenny who is older than DCL, Richarlison, Marcus Rashford and Gabriel Jesus, yet looks like a complete nervous wreck making his first team debut every single time he plays. It’s an unacceptable job he’s doing. His position should be under serious scrutiny.

Other Premier League teams have 16 year olds coming into their sides in the cups and going toe to toe with actual Premier League and Championship teams. The fruit of Unsworth’s labours is Jonjoe Kenny who is older than DCL, Richarlison, Marcus Rashford and Gabriel Jesus, yet looks like a complete nervous wreck making his first team debut every single time he plays. It’s an unacceptable job he’s doing. His position should be under serious scrutiny.

….has he been responsible for Academy recruitment? I thought he’d been mainly in charge of U23s & our problems lie much further back in the Academy process. I’m no Unsworth fan, but it masks the issue if the blame falls on him for the lack of talent coming through.