Everton Youth Teams Thread

All this mud slinging at Small, ask yourself a serious question. Where is the pathway at Everton? Southampton will gamble on youngsters as making money is more important than league placing to them. For us we would rather play players out of position than give them game time.
Do you think Southampton will put somebody in the team if they are not Premiership standard ?

This pathway talk is overstated, all players will get their chance at every club if they are good enough.

Do you think Southampton will put somebody in the team if they are not Premiership standard ?

This pathway talk is overstated, all players will get their chance at every club if they are good enough.
I do, we did with DCL. When he first started getting games here he was not prem standard. The opportunities afforded him allowed him to become the level he is at. Teams do it all the time, in cups and against lesser opposition. If they dont get game time they never improve.

I do, we did with DCL. When he first started getting games here he was not prem standard. The opportunities afforded him allowed him to become the level he is at. Teams do it all the time, in cups and against lesser opposition. If they dont get game time they never improve.
I think DCL was in the team on merit.
Of course he has improved , all players do, with age and experience.

There were some who at the start of last season said DCL was not premiership standard .
If Thierry Small was good enough to be involved in the Everton first team selection he would have been there already.
He may be good enough with age and experience but he certainly isn't there yet.

Didn't seem to worry Chelsea,Man City etc who both have a better record of developing youth to at the very least,sell on or get loan payments for. Thought Brands remit was to organise top to bottom,yet it just appears disjointed.
Well you’ve had two explanations, not sure why youre so obsessed by an event that was twelve months ago ,yet didn’t have enough interest to know we were taking part in this year‘s competition, or even that they’re u21s ?‍♂️.
Is there a reason the U23s aren't in the EFL Trophy? Seems good enough experience for the Man City and Chelsea youngsters.

I think DCL was in the team on merit.
Of course he has improved , all players do, with age and experience.
definitely a debatable one that.. I didn’t think DCL could hit a barn door until recently.. and still I don’t back him 1-1 .. great predator in the box, positional excellent and can leap.
He benefitted from the dog show recruitment that happened after Lukaku left and was up against Niasse and Tosun .. he got his run by sheer lack of competition.

I actually wonder how good Simms could be with the same level of time in the first team.. literally 2 seasons at the top level to learn your trade. Also physically strong, much more natural finisher… but will he get the same opportunity.. no

definitely a debatable one that.. I didn’t think DCL could hit a barn door until recently.. and still I don’t back him 1-1 .. great predator in the box, positional excellent and can leap.
He benefitted from the dog show recruitment that happened after Lukaku left and was up against Niasse and Tosun .. he got his run by sheer lack of competition.

I actually wonder how good Simms could be with the same level of time in the first team.. literally 2 seasons at the top level to learn your trade. Also physically strong, much more natural finisher… but will he get the same opportunity.. no
DCL is in a different league completely to Simms. It’s not even close and never will be.

DCL was widely hated on this forum until probably last season. But obviously a succession of different managers saw something in him because they all played him.

Well that's not strictly true, plenty of young players have left clubs to get a better chance elsewhere, especially recently
I do agree that most young players leave to go somewhere else where they will have a better chance.
However, that usually involves moving to a club at a substantially lower level.
I am struggling to name any player that left the Everton academy to play elsewhere that would come back now and make our team better.

Which gets back to the point I was making. If Thierry Small was so talented he would definitely get first team opportunities this season just as I feel will Nyango when fit.

Everton Under-18 assistant manager Phil Jevons has left the Club to join Sunderland as first-team coach.

Jevons had four years as Everton Under-16 head coach before switching to his Under-18 position in advance of the current season.

A graduate of Everton’s Academy, Jevons made nine senior appearances following a debut in March 1999, and played for a number Football League clubs, including Grimsby Town, Yeovil Town and Bristol City.

Everyone at Everton thanks Phil for his hard work and dedication and wishes him every success in his new post.

Everton Under-18 assistant manager Phil Jevons has left the Club to join Sunderland as first-team coach.

Jevons had four years as Everton Under-16 head coach before switching to his Under-18 position in advance of the current season.

A graduate of Everton’s Academy, Jevons made nine senior appearances following a debut in March 1999, and played for a number Football League clubs, including Grimsby Town, Yeovil Town and Bristol City.

Everyone at Everton thanks Phil for his hard work and dedication and wishes him every success in his new post.

Assume the Sunderland manager Johnson and Jevons played together at Bristol city is Keith sothern still with the u18s

…wow, brilliant move for Jevons. He worked under the brilliant coaching of Colin Harvey when he was a youth team player for us. I always remember him saying Harvey demanded he worked back when the opposition had the ball despite him being a striker.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a loanee head to Sunderland in January.

He learned from the best, good luck to him.