Everton Youth Teams Thread

Listed as 6pm vs Stoke u23s on the Everton site, says 1pm on the app though
Everton have it as stoke but a 1pm ko lol, defo playing today v someone it seems, looks like stoke dont have us down to play

Full list of Everton Under-23s’ 2021/22 pre-season fixtures:

Everton Under-23s
v Stoke City, USM Finch Farm, Tuesday 13 July, 1pm.

Guiseley v Everton Under-23s, Nethermoor Park, Saturday 17 July, 3pm.

Bradford Park Avenue v Everton Under-23s, Horsfall Stadium, Wednesday 21 July, 7pm.

Chorley v Everton Under-23s, Victory Park, Tuesday 3 August, 7.30pm.

Southport v Everton Under-23s, The Pure Stadium, Saturday 7 August, 3pm.

====
This is what stoke say for their u23s pre season

Full pre-season programme

Saturday, July 10 – Hanley Town at the Payaro Stadium (kick-off 3pm)

Saturday, July 17 – Leek Town at Clayton Wood (kick-off 1pm)*

Friday, July 23 – Chelsea at Clayton Wood (kick-off 12pm)

Friday, July 30 – Birmingham City at Clayton Wood (kick-off 6.30pm)

Saturday, August 7 – AFC Telford United at New Bucks Head (kick-off 3pm)

Last edited:
I'd say the loans are the problem Eggs. Would you trust a club that's recently messed up loans for Kenny, Dowell, Gibson, Virginia, Gordon and to an extent Branthwaite. Kenny was England's main rb throughout his youth, made it to our first team and would be lucky to play in the prem again and isn't in the top 20 English rbs, someone with his youth pedigree shouldn't be in the situation he is

….I have a view that we send our Academy players on loan when the Manager doesn’t want to use them. The very best don’t go on loan (Osman & Barkley only ones I can think of who went on loan before debut & played 50 games for us).

i don’t think the club messed up loans for Kenny. I think it was more about Kenny never being good enough to earn a starting place for us. It’s a huge step up, even from international youth football & Kenny just fell short. I think the loans have proven that, but he’ll be a very wealthy young man and will continue earning a living in the game.

Dowell got a couple of opportunities but didn’t grasp them, clubs have to make decisions about these players. I watched him & Kenny a fair bit coming through the system but I have no issue with how things have worked out.

Virginia threw about 3 goals in and had a disaster, you cant blame the club for that
Had they not already signed their new keeper by that point anyway? Regardless I don't think throwing a 19/20 year old Virginia into the championship was the best idea. Schmeichel, Henderson and Pickford all started far lower down. There's no chance I'd have dropped Virginia straight into the championship.

The sad thing about your “ My own view, is that we have been too reticent in giving younger players chances and it has cost us.” is that we’ve nothing to show for it at first team level in that we’ve hardly got a bunch of talented players ripping up the PL keeping youngsters out . I would qualify that by saying being young doesn’t guarantee you a starting place , and many of them are just not ready yet for the PLbut as already been said we haven’t got any kind of pathway. In the end Ancellotti‘s reign ended with “ No youngsters blooded in the PL and 10th place FFS.”

I think we've lost our way a bit in the last 5 years. The summer we signed Martina to keep Kenny out and to a degree Klaassen, Rooney and Sigurdsson to keep Dowell out felt quite a short sighted move to me. You could perhaps make a similar case for Schneiderlin over Williams/Ledson. Short termism completely.

Likewise last season, not filling the bench up, 2 goalkeepers etc over giving younger lads the exposure was short termism. I worry the managerial appointment will see more short termism.

I think we've lost our way a bit in the last 5 years. The summer we signed Martina to keep Kenny out and to a degree Klaassen, Rooney and Sigurdsson to keep Dowell out felt quite a short sighted move to me. You could perhaps make a similar case for Schneiderlin over Williams/Ledson. Short termism completely.

Likewise last season, not filling the bench up, 2 goalkeepers etc over giving younger lads the exposure was short termism. I worry the managerial appointment will see more short termism.
Leaving the bench half empty seemed madness. Don’t know if it was point scoring from Ancelotti or some kind of Covid protocol but there seemed plenty of opportunity to get someone like Broadhead or Simms exposure - even if just to inflate a sale price.