Everton Youth Teams Thread

....gets into a lot of one-on-one situations with goalkeepers. That’s commonplace in schoolboy football but less so as you get older. Perhaps defenders push up too much which allows him to sit on their shoulders and run in behind. He’s certainly a goalscorer, though, but he’ll have to leapfrog Kean to be in the mix.
that aint difficult

Decided against a long winded rant so I’ll just say the pending transfer of Godfrey is a big blow to Gibson. His potential first team inclusion has been set back two years at least.. and if I had to put a stick in the sand I would say has dropped significantly to ever be in.
Don’t want to sound so negative just disappointed as I felt he was so close and seen this movie before. Up to Gibson now to bash that door down..

No issue with Godfrey... sure he will be fantastic..

Decided against a long winded rant so I’ll just say the pending transfer of Godfrey is a big blow to Gibson. His potential first team inclusion has been set back two years at least.. and if I had to put a stick in the sand I would say has dropped significantly to ever be in.
Don’t want to sound so negative just disappointed as I felt he was so close and seen this movie before. Up to Gibson now to bash that door down..

...it’s a cut-throat game at this level and youngsters have to be very special to have a career at Everton. Saying that, Gibson is being handsomely rewarded from a financial perspective.

I’ve been a big Gibson fan for many years but I didn’t think the signs were good when he was sent on loan despite our CB situation. It also appears Branthwaite has leapfrogged him in the pecking order.

I’ve never really rated Gibson myself.

...it’s a cut-throat game at this level and youngsters have to be very special to have a career at Everton. Saying that, Gibson is being handsomely rewarded from a financial perspective.

I’ve been a big Gibson fan for many years but I didn’t think the signs were good when he was sent on loan despite our CB situation. It also appears Branthwaite has leapfrogged him in the pecking order.

yep exactly.. feels cut throat too with this one. He has an excellent CV and ticked all my minimum requirements to show he had it...his only fault is he is two years younger in his experience. That’s my take anyway...Did Branthwaite leapfrog cos he is better or again being in the squad at the right time and place to take your chance.

But agree.. going on loan was not a good sign as it meant he didn’t tick the final box.. being in the first team squad by 20.

I feel very strongly around high potentials given game time... hence the disappointment.. is what it is.... and of course every player in blue has full unwavering support..

yep exactly.. feels cut throat too with this one. He has an excellent CV and ticked all my minimum requirements to show he had it...his only fault is he is two years younger in his experience. That’s my take anyway...Did Branthwaite leapfrog cos he is better or again being in the squad at the right time and place to take your chance.

But agree.. going on loan was not a good sign as it meant he didn’t tick the final box.. being in the first team squad by 20.

I feel very strongly around high potentials given game time... hence the disappointment.. is what it is.... and of course every player in blue has full unwavering support..
I'm sure the plan was always to send out Gibson on loan again this year to get first team football, wasn't this stated when he signed his contract before going out on loan to Fleetwood?

He's only played half a season of football so far and if he can get a good number of games at Reading then I think he'll be ready to compete for a place in the team next year.

I think the 2nd loan is a big set back. Sure the first one to Fleetwood you could make some sense of, but we were very short and they were happy for him to go.

We all want to see young players coming through, but there also has to be a pragmatism. I saw Brighton had turned down bigs of £30m for Ben White who hadn't played for them but had a season at Leeds and impressed in the championship. If Gibson can do well, and we get bids even approaching that it will be very successful for the club and tmhe player himself. It's how we will start showing profits in the accounts.

While we all like to see academy youngsters come through we have to be realistic
Only a very small percentage make it at any PL club
How many players have we let go who have gone on to make it in the PL
The coaches know what it takes to make it and have seen enough youngsters come and go to know who has a chance and who has not
Some players are early flourishers ,and some are late bloomers.
It takes a lot more than skill to make it in the PL and the coaches will be watching for attitude and commitment ,something we never see
Hopefully Brands with his experience in Holland will have a plan and a pathway in place for those he feels will make it
It will take years to change the philosophy of the Academy and hopefully Brands has the final say on every player
I am surprised he has put his own coaches in place by now

Everton u18s are away to Burnley u18s tomorrow with an 11am ko and will be looking to go top for a few hours at least, Man city who are in 2nd ahead of Everton on GD have the Manchester Derby at 2 while Leaders derby 2 points ahead of Everton have the weekend off

Meanwhile on sunday Everton u23s are home to man city u23s 1pm ko with the chance to go top depending on other scores and that is Live on City's website, Its £2 pound a month but as ever you can do the 30 day free trail then cancel right after game [or even as soon as you sign up], so its not auto charged at the end of your trail-coverage starts 12.40

Gibson needs the loan, up to now he's played 9 first team games, compare with Godfrey who has almost 120 and a season in the Premier League behind him. A good season at reading from Gibson and he'll hopefully come back and challenge for a squad place next year. Branthwaite is in a similar position, he had a bit of luck to get in the team at the end of the season due to injuries and acquitted himself well. If he hadn't have picked up a knock would he have been 4th choice this season? I'm not so sure, I'd expect a loan for him but maybe not until January.

With Keane (27), Mina (26), Holgate (24 this month) and Godfrey (22) we'd have a really good balance of players in terms of profile and age. The challenge for Gibson and Branthwaite would be to come back from loans and push for a place in the squad. Gibson at 20 is probably under more pressure to do this next year than Branthwaite who is still only 18. Mina is probably the player who is most vulnerable in terms of his place in the squad, he's had injury issues and still hasn't truly convinced.

I think the 2nd loan is a big set back. Sure the first one to Fleetwood you could make some sense of, but we were very short and they were happy for him to go.

We all want to see young players coming through, but there also has to be a pragmatism. I saw Brighton had turned down bigs of £30m for Ben White who hadn't played for them but had a season at Leeds and impressed in the championship. If Gibson can do well, and we get bids even approaching that it will be very successful for the club and tmhe player himself. It's how we will start showing profits in the accounts.

...the possible saving grace regarding the 2nd loan is something I read saying this had been promised ‘as part of his ‘pathway’. I’d still have thought potential promotion to the first team would’ve usurped that agreement, so perhaps the club is looking for a return on its investment.

its up to gibson to win a spot with a great season at reading. pretty sure mina will be gone by next summer and we'll hopefully have at least europa league football next season.
still a chance for him.