Everton Youth Teams Thread

I only started watching it after 20 minutes and without the commentary as the missus had the TV on.

i thought I was watching John at RB not realising he had gone off injured. I was really impressed with Iverson defensively (he made one great challenge on the goal line at the end when they broke down the right), and also the acceleration he showed a couple of times as he brought the ball out of defence. I'd really like to see him in an attacking unit with him providing the overlap. No chance of that with Unsy at the helm.
Get yourself some Bluetooth headphones mate, great when Mrs blueloon is watching Corrie and me football .
I’m going to defend Unsworth here, despite being still scarred from last seasons 5-5 formation, I can genuinely see positive changes in his team and their play. His starting line up with Broadhead and Bowler our wide supporting Simms was as close to our first team formation I’ve seen attacking wise. Onyango was played further forward and had more involvement in attacking moves and shots than he’s ever done, Hughes despite playing out of position was an attacking threat with his passing , last season Anderson , a defender would have been the replacement.
With Dobbin injured he had no real attacking options on the bench but we still produced a lot of good attacking moves, particularly 2nd half . Seb Quirk on for the tiring Onyango was also positive, again in previous years he’d have likely brought on Anderson, moved Connolly inside to 3rd CB and closed out the game .
Early days yet but with Simms in such exciting form , Dobbin, Hunt , Carroll to return I can see lots of positives when the older ones are loaned or moved on .

They must think Iversen is a possibility at right back as the easiest sub would have been to bring Anderson on at left back and switch Connolly sides. We have plenty of options in centre midfield and very few in either full back position so perhaps this is where they are considering playing Iversen.

They must think Iversen is a possibility at right back as the easiest sub would have been to bring Anderson on at left back and switch Connolly sides. We have plenty of options in centre midfield and very few in either full back position so perhaps this is where they are considering playing Iversen.

...I like a full back who is switched from a more advanced position. Tony Hibbert was a central midfielder in an FA Youth Cup winning team and the likes of Ray a Wilson and Tommy Wright we’re converted forwards.

i get the impression the coaches like Iverson and see this as a big season for him. We know the step-up to the first team is massive, playing full-back might be Iverson’s best chance.

"Dennis, Beni, Nathan, Josh, Callum, they are all players I expect to be out on loan but the loan [window] is a little bit later so I understand why clubs haven't taken them yet.

"It'll probably be last-minute for most of them but I certainly expect all of them to go out on loan. On tonight's performance they have certainly shown they are top young players."

Everton are also hoping to find Matthew Pennington a new club this summer with the defender missing the opening two games of the Premier League 2 season because of a small knock.

...I like a full back who is switched from a more advanced position. Tony Hibbert was a central midfielder in an FA Youth Cup winning team and the likes of Ray a Wilson and Tommy Wright we’re converted forwards.

i get the impression the coaches like Iverson and see this as a big season for him. We know the step-up to the first team is massive, playing full-back might be Iverson’s best chance.

Even if he settles as a midfielder it will be good experience for him. I think Onyango is already first choice centrally and Hughes plays there and Bobby Carroll will return at some point. So the more strings he has to his bow the better his prospects.

Get yourself some Bluetooth headphones mate, great when Mrs blueloon is watching Corrie and me football .
I’m going to defend Unsworth here, despite being still scarred from last seasons 5-5 formation, I can genuinely see positive changes in his team and their play. His starting line up with Broadhead and Bowler our wide supporting Simms was as close to our first team formation I’ve seen attacking wise. Onyango was played further forward and had more involvement in attacking moves and shots than he’s ever done, Hughes despite playing out of position was an attacking threat with his passing , last season Anderson , a defender would have been the replacement.
With Dobbin injured he had no real attacking options on the bench but we still produced a lot of good attacking moves, particularly 2nd half . Seb Quirk on for the tiring Onyango was also positive, again in previous years he’d have likely brought on Anderson, moved Connolly inside to 3rd CB and closed out the game .
Early days yet but with Simms in such exciting form , Dobbin, Hunt , Carroll to return I can see lots of positives when the older ones are loaned or moved on .
Ok I'll concede it's an improvement on last season, but am I wrong to want even more. From open play the full backs hardly crossed the half way line. Bowler did well against a decent full back but he could have had so many more options with an overlapping John or Iverson. As decent as his performance was I thought he was isolated a lot and became something of a one trick pony.

I was disappointed with Hughes who I felt spent most of the game sat in front of his full back. He showed with his volley what he can offer in the final third.

Completely forgot about Caroll. How long before Dobbin is back. Couldn't find any news on him.

Wasn't he captain of the U18s too so he must have some leadership qualities in him

Even if he settles as a midfielder it will be good experience for him. I think Onyango is already first choice centrally and Hughes plays there and Bobby Carroll will return at some point. So the more strings he has to his bow the better his prospects.
I like the kid Onyango. First time I've seen him live. He's a bit Yayaish

was your take on Onyango mate? See him making the step up

Ok I'll concede it's an improvement on last season, but am I wrong to want even more. From open play the full backs hardly crossed the half way line. Bowler did well against a decent full back but he could have had so many more options with an overlapping John or Iverson. As decent as his performance was I thought he was isolated a lot and became something of a one trick pony.

I was disappointed with Hughes who I felt spent most of the game sat in front of his full back. He showed with his volley what he can offer in the final third.

Completely forgot about Caroll. How long before Dobbin is back. Couldn't find any news on him.
Yep you are wrong to want even more. We beat the team who finished 2nd in PL2 last season pretty comprehensively, played the better football against a good team and won 3-0 . I’ll settle for that.
Hughes developed rapidly last season, having been behind Iversen, Hunt, Carrol in his first year. As a deep lying mid whos been encouraged to move forward he’s adapting well, last night it was like asking Doucoure to come on for Richarlison , Hughes couldn’t be expected to do the same things as Broadhead.
As ever , two people watch the same game and see different things , it is what it is so I’ll leave it there.

was your take on Onyango mate? See him making the step up
I thought he had his best game at U23s last night. With Baningime behind him he was free to get forward into the box and attack more often , he even managed a couple of shots . Great energy levels to get up and down the pitch too, naturally tired at the end , I thought he was the best of the midfielders if you consider Simms and Bowler as attackers. The youngest on the pitch too at 17 and I think he’ll look better on bigger pitches.
Always hard to tell if he’ll make it at 17 when he really hasn’t been challenged yet, but I would say he has the same potential as Beni at the same age but Onyango has more attacking skills and intent, has made the step up earlier and is a regular for England U17s. So he’s ticking all the right boxes .

Yep you are wrong to want even more. We beat the team who finished 2nd in PL2 last season pretty comprehensively, played the better football against a good team and won 3-0 . I’ll settle for that.
Hughes developed rapidly last season, having been behind Iversen, Hunt, Carrol in his first year. As a deep lying mid whos been encouraged to move forward he’s adapting well, last night it was like asking Doucoure to come on for Richarlison , Hughes couldn’t be expected to do the same things as Broadhead.
As ever , two people watch the same game and see different things , it is what it is so I’ll leave it there.
You're probably right loon. I've had a bit of a downer on Unsy for a while now and I'm probably looking for faults, which isn't like me at all as I usually try and find the positives in things.

I guess it comes down to my belief that the purpose of the youth teams and the academy is to produce players that are good enough to play for the first team, and I'm not convinced that Unsy does this as well as he could or should do. But I've also just said that Simms all round game has improved, so maybe I should try and focus on things like that and not be so negative.

"Dennis, Beni, Nathan, Josh, Callum, they are all players I expect to be out on loan but the loan [window] is a little bit later so I understand why clubs haven't taken them yet.

"It'll probably be last-minute for most of them but I certainly expect all of them to go out on loan. On tonight's performance they have certainly shown they are top young players."

Everton are also hoping to find Matthew Pennington a new club this summer with the defender missing the opening two games of the Premier League 2 season because of a small knock.

why on earth are we only loaning them out is the question here.
all 5 should move on permanently and we should only be dealing with clubs who want to want perm deals.