Everton Youth Teams Thread

Hornby and Broadhead contracted until 2021. I imagine Adedoyin will be released as he couldn't get a game at Hamilton in first half of season and didn't even make a single u23 squad when he returned. I'm guessing Phillips will be released as well as he was out of contract at the the end of the season and he had been loaned out.

Nearly all the current 2nd year Scholars have been given contracts, I think it’s only right back Josh Hosie remaining. With talk of Kyle John going out on loan and Astley moving to his preferred CB position Hosie could be needed at RB and get a contract.

Let’s be honest there was no pathway to the first team for Foulds or Feeney. We have three first team centrebacks with a fourth probably on the summer transfer list. Gibson on loan is also probably ahead of them. A lot better for these lads to go and play real football somewhere than just sit in our reserves with no chance of ever playing.

Let’s be honest there was no pathway to the first team for Foulds or Feeney. We have three first team centrebacks with a fourth probably on the summer transfer list. Gibson on loan is also probably ahead of them. A lot better for these lads to go and play real football somewhere than just sit in our reserves with no chance of ever playing.
If they were good enough they would make their own pathway through, we are hardly blessed with talent at CB, Holgate is the best of a bad bunch. We seem to produce a lot of youngsters who will have football careers but are not going to ever get into the first team, i hope Brands is looking at this as i do wonder if the youth coaching setup needs a bit of a reshuffle.

If they were good enough they would make their own pathway through, we are hardly blessed with talent at CB, Holgate is the best of a bad bunch. We seem to produce a lot of youngsters who will have football careers but are not going to ever get into the first team, i hope Brands is looking at this as i do wonder if the youth coaching setup needs a bit of a reshuffle.

Exactly, someone seems to have sensibly had the tough conversation with these lads a rather than allowing them to do a Garbutt Pennington McAleny or Connely and hang around despite clearly not being good enough. It was worrying that the so called golden generation of Davies Dowell Kenny Baningime Connely came through and it looks like not a single one will make it long term at Everton with maybe only Davies and Kenny staying as lower end premier league players.

Exactly, someone seems to have sensibly had the tough conversation with these lads a rather than allowing them to do a Garbutt Pennington McAleny or Connely and hang around despite clearly not being good enough. It was worrying that the so called golden generation of Davies Dowell Kenny Baningime Connely came through and it looks like not a single one will make it long term at Everton with maybe only Davies and Kenny staying as lower end premier league players.

I think the "golden generation" really suffered to be coming through at the endof Martinez, then a period of lots of spend and ultimately chaos of consecutive managers. That being said around 6 of them have made appearances for Everton (more if you include pre-season) and a great deal of them will earn a professional living out of football. It wouldn't surprise me if 5 or 6 of them play 50+ games in the PL over the course of their season. It's a very fine line.

As for Feeney, yes I agree with you wholeheartedly, it's the right decision. We have not been ruthless enough. Unsworth gets a lot of the blame and I don't know how true it is, but on the whole we've not been ruthless enough. Before this season, and I think certainly before Brands turned up we would have just offered the players another 2-3 year deal. Maybe it was under the misguided belief that we could sell the on for money, though I sense it's more that he felt compelled to do right by the lads. To me it just created the wrong culture around the place.

I feel a bit sorry for Feeney, he should have been out on loan much earlier. He's played 5 years at Under 23 level, it's much too much. I can see what Unsworth got out of it, but not sure what Feeney did. Once you've played a couple of seasons at that level, it really is time to test the player against men, promote him to the first team or move them on.

I think the "golden generation" really suffered to be coming through at the endof Martinez, then a period of lots of spend and ultimately chaos of consecutive managers. That being said around 6 of them have made appearances for Everton (more if you include pre-season) and a great deal of them will earn a professional living out of football. It wouldn't surprise me if 5 or 6 of them play 50+ games in the PL over the course of their season. It's a very fine line.

As for Feeney, yes I agree with you wholeheartedly, it's the right decision. We have not been ruthless enough. Unsworth gets a lot of the blame and I don't know how true it is, but on the whole we've not been ruthless enough. Before this season, and I think certainly before Brands turned up we would have just offered the players another 2-3 year deal. Maybe it was under the misguided belief that we could sell the on for money, though I sense it's more that he felt compelled to do right by the lads. To me it just created the wrong culture around the place.

I feel a bit sorry for Feeney, he should have been out on loan much earlier. He's played 5 years at Under 23 level, it's much too much. I can see what Unsworth got out of it, but not sure what Feeney did. Once you've played a couple of seasons at that level, it really is time to test the player against men, promote him to the first team or move them on.

I think feeney picked up injuries at the wrong time or he would have been out on loan earlier. good that the club are letting him continue to train with us until he gets another club sorted

Nearly all the current 2nd year Scholars have been given contracts, I think it’s only right back Josh Hosie remaining. With talk of Kyle John going out on loan and Astley moving to his preferred CB position Hosie could be needed at RB and get a contract.

....I suspect the talk of John going on loan was for the remainder of this season. He’s only got 12 months left on his contract, so sending him out next season seems a bit pointless.

John is 19 and we need a RB. We need to be learning from Pennington, Connolly, Garbutt et al, we have to decide to use John or let him go.

Hornby and Broadhead contracted until 2021. I imagine Adedoyin will be released as he couldn't get a game at Hamilton in first half of season and didn't even make a single u23 squad when he returned. I'm guessing Phillips will be released as well as he was out of contract at the the end of the season and he had been loaned out.
Hasn't Phillips got a really good scoring record?

Also playing in a back three alongside Ashley Williams who had seemed to have completely lost his head probably didn't help either

Exactly. If you're going to bring him in, don't put him in an unfamiliar formation next to a rank out of form "professional" who couldn't care less. Killed the kid's career here.

I have to admit someone called it on here, not me, 3 or 4 years ago saying Feeney didn’t have the physical build . I was always hoping he’d fill out a bit, such a huge factor these days in determining if a centre back is going to make it. Gibson and Branthwaite have the physique, I’m not sure about Astley yet but that’s the building blocks for the coaches too work with .

Hasn't Phillips got a really good scoring record?
Sadly Kieran Phillips was hit more savagely than most by injuries, his goals at U18s level were when he was playing over age, then more injuries so difficult to tell how good a goalscorer as he’s never played a full season probably since he was 15/16. Coaches though will have an understanding of his potential and we‘re then in the dilemma that’s come up a lot recently : Do we give him a bit longer with us or let him go and help him find another club. The reality is he wouldhave been in and around the u23s this season if he was highly thought of.