Everton Youth Teams Thread

Sorry mate I can’t see it. I haven’t seen Walsh lately but his record says he hasn’t made it in the Championship , and at 22 he’s doing well in League 1 , so he’s comparable to Nathan Broadhead and Callum Connolly who have also done well there, both of whom I like but don’t believe they are good enough for our squad. Connolly has been a huge favourite of mine for probably 5 years , so I hope he and the other two make it elsewhere.

It’s a harsh world but if we are ever going to start winning trophies we need youngsters coming in who have the potential to make our 1st team. For me its a % game , get the best youngsters in we can knowing that only a small % will make it with us, and we can’t let sentiment take us back to clogging up our teams with youngsters who ‘s % chance of making it are too low.
Yes you have a point, you don’t get many coming back and playing well in the premier league, Vardy is one and possibly Lunstrum at Sheffield Unt. but they are few and far between, just like the thought of Liam Walsh doing it.

It looks like the Everton u18s game v man utd u18s at finch farm on saturday wont take place, as its just been said in last few hours that man utd u18s will play wigan u18s friday night in the FA Youth Cup-if thats right it means Everton u18s next game will be away to Liverpool in 3 weeks time
New date give as Tuesday 10th March 7pm ko at finch farm,live on MUTV

some good goals in this

Cheers, always difficult to pick out much from such short clips without stating the obvious that Dobbin and Cannon are decent finishers at this age group. Two poor goals conceded, Dobbin getting his pocket picked for the first, Welch diving in and missing for the second, not really negatives just good learning experiences for them.
Not sure what they’re feeding these guys at FF, every time I see them they’ve grown some more, usual at that age I suppose. I was thinking “ Cannon is filling out” and Kouyate comes alongside him and is taller, Dylan Thompson is looking a decent size for a CB and Welch stands even taller and it was my first real glimpse of Thierry Small who looks like he has the build of a middleweight boxer. I’m not putting too much store on height/ physique of course , but it’s just one of many criteria they need in today’s PL from full back to striker.

Lesson and Walsh had ambition and didn’t want to waste time in the U21/23’s, Liam has had a few injuries which kept him back, couldn’t believe it when they sold him to Bristol City, although we got a decent fee ( £2M ?) and possibly % of any future transfer fee, I thought he would have had a good career with Everton, he’s still young enough to get into the top flight, he has plenty of skill, bottle and the will to win in him.
£2m, a decent fee? -- the RS would get that sort of money from transferring the tea lady. For a long time now we've got very good money for our top players but peanuts for everything else, Robinson to Wigan for £2m being a recent example. Given how low the bar is set for being an improvement on what we've already got in the midfield then I wouldn't mind Walsh returning. Robinson I'm less sold on; he is lightning fast but with very little consistency in most other aspects of his game.

£2m, a decent fee? -- the RS would get that sort of money from transferring the tea lady. For a long time now we've got very good money for our top players but peanuts for everything else, Robinson to Wigan for £2m being a recent example. Given how low the bar is set for being an improvement on what we've already got in the midfield then I wouldn't mind Walsh returning. Robinson I'm less sold on; he is lightning fast but with very little consistency in most other aspects of his game.
I understand what you mean over the fee, but considering he had never been on the bench, as far as I know.and he was only very young, that didn’t seem too bad at the time, although I considered his potential vast, also we must have put some buy on %age if he was sold, and yes I’d also prefer him to some in the present midfield, much more energy bottle and movement.

Full Draw

Charlton Athletic vs Fulham
Everton vs Reading
West Bromwich Albion vs Doncaster Rovers
Exeter City vs Newcastle United
AFC Bournemouth vs Liverpool/Sunderland/Wigan Athletic
Liverpool/Wigan Athletic vs Stoke City
Blackburn Rovers vs Wolverhampton Wanderers
Derby County vs Middlesbrough

Full Draw

Charlton Athletic vs Fulham
Everton vs Reading
West Bromwich Albion vs Doncaster Rovers
Exeter City vs Newcastle United
AFC Bournemouth vs Liverpool/Sunderland/Wigan Athletic
Liverpool/Wigan Athletic vs Stoke City
Blackburn Rovers vs Wolverhampton Wanderers
Derby County vs Middlesbrough

That’s a decent draw, Reading are in PL2 Div2 and not doing great there.

Wow. Definitely the youngest side we’ve put out for many years, and I keep saying that . 3 schoolboys starting , 2 more on the bench I think; 7 1st years starting and only Hosie a 2nd year, so average age close to 161/2 I’d guess. It just excites me seeing their young age, no idea how many If any could make it but the kids are doing ok in their league and I’m loving these changes at u18 and U23s to giving the younger guys a chance.
Dobbin and Cannon on fire, and a great result today I’ll just enjoy them before they get corrupted ! Can’t wait to watch the clubs 90 secs of highlights.
I wonder is this by choice ,the fact the players are there or is it coming from the top.
Play them for 2 years in U 18s and then at 18 put them into the U23s and see how they cope.
I was hoping Brands would have a bigger impact on the academy than we have already seen

I wonder is this by choice ,the fact the players are there or is it coming from the top.
Play them for 2 years in U 18s and then at 18 put them into the U23s and see how they cope.
I was hoping Brands would have a bigger impact on the academy than we have already seen
Well lots of reasons I think , a bit by choice as players are there, Sunderland are a weak team so good chance to try them out . Maybe, and I don’t know, Brands is having an impact , Carlo too. We’ve moved people on , loan or out, giving opportunities to play a young team at U23s including some u18s, leading to more opportunities in the u18 and younger players there too.
Re your “ at 18 put them in the U23s and see how they cope, “ we‘ve had 16, 17, 18 year olds playing at U23s this season such that next season we could on paper pick a team where 19 year olds are the oldest in the team, though you sometimes need older experienced players in the mix. It would certainly be exciting if say 6 of our brightest young prospects like Simms, Dobbin, Onyango, John , Astley and Branthwaite were playing regularly in the same team.

Well lots of reasons I think , a bit by choice as players are there, Sunderland are a weak team so good chance to try them out . Maybe, and I don’t know, Brands is having an impact , Carlo too. We’ve moved people on , loan or out, giving opportunities to play a young team at U23s including some u18s, leading to more opportunities in the u18 and younger players there too.
Re your “ at 18 put them in the U23s and see how they cope, “ we‘ve had 16, 17, 18 year olds playing at U23s this season such that next season we could on paper pick a team where 19 year olds are the oldest in the team, though you sometimes need older experienced players in the mix. It would certainly be exciting if say 6 of our brightest young prospects like Simms, Dobbin, Onyango, John , Astley and Branthwaite were playing regularly in the same team.
I was expecting major changes in the academy by now
I see the academy as Brands main job
I though he would have got his own coaches in at most age groups
Unsworth for all his success has not really prepared lads and got them ready for the first team
As was said earlier lads at 17/18 need to be playing under 23 to be ready for either a loan to a decent standard or else promotion to the first team squad

I was expecting major changes in the academy by now
I see the academy as Brands main job
I though he would have got his own coaches in at most age groups
Unsworth for all his success has not really prepared lads and got them ready for the first team
As was said earlier lads at 17/18 need to be playing under 23 to be ready for either a loan to a decent standard or else promotion to the first team squad

They are