Everton Youth Teams Thread

Hey guys! I'm a Sc Paderborn supporter.

Would someone of you be so nice to give a little report on how Antony Evans style of play is and how he performed for Evertons youth squad? What kind of a player can we expect?

Greetings from Germany
Talented player , but has never fully delivered on the potential he has.
Hopefully, a new challenge will kickstart his career,
Can offer creativity and can score great goals, can he do it at a higher level is the question?

Would someone of you be so nice to give a little report on how Antony Evans style of play is and how he performed for Evertons youth squad? What kind of a player can we expect?

Greetings from Germany

...talented footballer who at one stage was seen as one of the more likely to break into the Premier League but a couple of loan spells with teams in the lower leagues here haven’t gone well. Regardless, Everton gave him another 12 month contract last summer.

Evans has good size and movement, is very comfortable in possession of a football and has the ability to score a goal or create. i think it’s a good move for him and hopefully Paderborn.

Greetings from Germany
I'd say 'creative midfielder' is an apt description of him. He can be a pretty good striker of the ball, especially with free kicks and corners. He got a bit lost in the shuffle when it came to loans and midfield competition in the youth teams and has consistently been a valued member of the U23s without ever looking close to stepping up to the first team.

I've kept an eye on some Schalke games (because of Jonjoe Kenny's loan) and it may be that the different style of the German league suits him better. Certainly some British youngsters seem to be doing well over there.

Let us know how it is working out for him after a while!

I'd say 'creative midfielder' is an apt description of him. He can be a pretty good striker of the ball, especially with free kicks and corners. He got a bit lost in the shuffle when it came to loans and midfield competition in the youth teams and has consistently been a valued member of the U23s without ever looking close to stepping up to the first team.

I've kept an eye on some Schalke games (because of Jonjoe Kenny's loan) and it may be that the different style of the German league suits him better. Certainly some British youngsters seem to be doing well over there.

Let us know how it is working out for him after a while!

Thank you all for your short reports on him.

I think he might do well in Paderborn. Our coach has implemented a rigorously offensive style of play, which he might fit in well with his strengths. Also, we have a history on developing young talents and evoke their full potential. If he's willing to integrate, he might be one of these.

I will let you know how he's doing over here.

Greetings from Germany

I think he's quite promising. At 16 he was one of the brightest prospects we'd have over the last 4-5 years. He was scoring lots of goals for the under 23's (and was given game time for them as an under 16 which is rare). Lots of talk that summer that clubs such as Arsenal were looking to pounce.

Unfortunately for Antony that was sort of the pinnacle of his time at Everton. He seemed to have some issues with growing, he went from being a 5 ft 10/11 16 year old who looked powerful and in control of his body, to a lad who's probably 6 ft 1 but a little gangly. In truth he still looks a little gangly to me but is a lot better than what he was 18 months ago. He probably needs to "fill out" into his body and get more confidence from it.

He got moved away from his number 10 position, and would play a lot off the right and left, which again I don't think massively suited him. They put him out on loan last season to (league 1 (Third tier) Crawley and he didn't get much game time there.

In truth, there have been issues with how we've developed a lot of players between the ages of 16-21 and he is probably the best example of it. There is some criticism levelled at the under 21's manager (that he is too conservative in giving younger guys game time) and changing managers, scouts, DOF's so frequently (all with quite different styles) has not really helped either. That being said, the lad just doesn't look to have kicked on much in the last 5 years which is a shame.

The positive for you though, may well be that at 16 he looked a very promising player. If you can get him back to that level, with confidence coming back, and he can bulk out he could do very well in the Bundesliga. He is tall, works hard, good creativity and can get on the end of things to score goals.

I wish him well. Could be an astute buy. Do pop by every now and then and keep us updated with how he is progressing.

Surely it would be in the tweet with him leaving? Same as Gibson. Looks ominous.

I do wonder if we are going to start being more ruthless with the under 23's. I think some of the criticism is overblown, but there's little doubt that we have kept a number of players milling around the under 23's for longer than they should. I mean to have kept Harry Charley at 23 still in and around the team smacks of a real lack of ruthlessness.

In truth Feeney is now 20 and will turn 21 next month. If he's not getting near to the first team squad now, he probably won't do. At 21 we should be in a position where we can take a decision on a player as to whether we believe he is first team level or not. If we are just at the point of testing them in the football league, I would suggest that is very telling.

It will probably be harsh on Feeney, who has played for the first team, and acquitted themselves well and undoubtedly a big Everton fan and a nice lad. But in life sometimes "cruel to be kind" comes to mind.

At 21 if he's not going to play for our first team, he is just getting in the way of Rhys Welch, Ryan Astley and Jarrod Braithwaite who might. They need to play in the under 23's and keeping Feeney will block that process.

So we will see. If he performs very well at Tranmere then the club may re-evaluate. However I can fully understand why we perhaps have to start making decisions now to prevent the under 23's being filled with players who won't play for our first team.

I think he's quite promising. At 16 he was one of the brightest prospects we'd have over the last 4-5 years. He was scoring lots of goals for the under 23's (and was given game time for them as an under 16 which is rare). Lots of talk that summer that clubs such as Arsenal were looking to pounce.

Unfortunately for Antony that was sort of the pinnacle of his time at Everton. He seemed to have some issues with growing, he went from being a 5 ft 10/11 16 year old who looked powerful and in control of his body, to a lad who's probably 6 ft 1 but a little gangly. In truth he still looks a little gangly to me but is a lot better than what he was 18 months ago. He probably needs to "fill out" into his body and get more confidence from it.

He got moved away from his number 10 position, and would play a lot off the right and left, which again I don't think massively suited him. They put him out on loan last season to (league 1 (Third tier) Crawley and he didn't get much game time there.

In truth, there have been issues with how we've developed a lot of players between the ages of 16-21 and he is probably the best example of it. There is some criticism levelled at the under 21's manager (that he is too conservative in giving younger guys game time) and changing managers, scouts, DOF's so frequently (all with quite different styles) has not really helped either. That being said, the lad just doesn't look to have kicked on much in the last 5 years which is a shame.

The positive for you though, may well be that at 16 he looked a very promising player. If you can get him back to that level, with confidence coming back, and he can bulk out he could do very well in the Bundesliga. He is tall, works hard, good creativity and can get on the end of things to score goals.

I wish him well. Could be an astute buy. Do pop by every now and then and keep us updated with how he is progressing.

evans has even said himself he didn't think unsworths defensive set up of the team suited him.
interesting summer ahead and hopefully we bring in a more attack minded coach/manager for the u23s