Everton Youth Teams Thread

Indeed, one of the modern requirements for a full back is the ability to get down the wing and cross the ball, in this respect John, a converted winger/midfielder, has the edge over the more physical Astley .I would love to see John get more starts at full back , comparatively he hasn’t played many games there and it would be good to see just how far he can progress .
Yes he’s looked good when I’ve seen him, which isn’t much. I think he got injured when he first broke in. Hopefully he can stay and play all this season.

Not many world class full-backs are big and strong these days. Jordi Alba? Would you call him physical?

....you know much more about the world game and these things than me, Nymz. I just think about the teams I like and who i’d least like to play against as a forward.

I often use the ‘85 team as a blueprint. Two fantastically athletic full-backs and a CB with pace to burn. Those full backs had the quality to deliver in the top third and the pace and power to cover along the back line. I know there’s lots of talented tikki takki types out there, I love the likes of Baines and Digne, but neither can come anywhere near the quality of Pat van den Hauwe.

Find me PvD and Gary Stephens clones, I would swap them in an instant for Digne and Coleman. I jest a little, but a blueprint of success isn’t a bad place to start.

....you know much more about the world game and these things than me, Nymz. I just think about the teams I like and who i’d least like to play against as a forward.

I often use the ‘85 team as a blueprint. Two fantastically athletic full-backs and a CB with pace to burn. Those full backs had the quality to deliver in the top third and the pace and power to cover along the back line. I know there’s lots of talented tikki takki types out there, I love the likes of Baines and Digne, but neither can come anywhere near the quality of Pat van den Hauwe.

Find me PvD and Gary Stephens clones, I would swap them in an instant for Digne and Coleman. I jest a little, but a blueprint of success isn’t a bad place to start.

Yeh I prefer powerful full-backs too but there just aren't that many anymore and most of them are just wingers crammed into full-back spots. Game's changed and all that.

Not that you'd do it but think you'd enjoy watchin the Italian team Atalanta as they seem to only buy players 6ft and above and have two freight trains at full-back.

Final score Derby 4 Everton 1 - simms with our goal- we had conceeded 8 games in 7 games before tonight in league

Prem League 2 Table

Chelsea 18 points from 8 games
Derby 17 points from 8 games
Everton 13 points from 8 games
Arsenal 13 points from 8 games
Leicester 10 points from 8 games

Next u23s league game is saturday 26th oct with 2pm ko home to leaders chelsea and this is NOT live on chelsea's website
though the away game at chelsea is on chelsea website end of Feb

Yeh I prefer powerful full-backs too but there just aren't that many anymore and most of them are just wingers crammed into full-back spots. Game's changed and all that.

Not that you'd do it but think you'd enjoy watchin the Italian team Atalanta as they seem to only buy players 6ft and above and have two freight trains at full-back.

...that’s amusing, you said “most of them are just wingers crammed into full back slots”. I’m old, Ray Wilson was the best LB on the planet, he was a converted winger. Tommy Wright was an inside forward. John Hurst was one of out great CBs, yet won an FA Youth Cup medal playing CF.

Change from front to back isn’t a modern trait. I’ve posted before, it’s a rich source of talent. The great managers saw it (Paisley converted Ray Kennedy to a brilliant midfielder from a fine striker at Arsenal). We pay our DoF lots of money.

read what i did for you mate,tested and working
Thanks very much, watched a bit of the first half and all of the second. We went to pieces when we went behind, with mistakes all over the field. They resembled the first team in many ways with the complete lack of movement and very poor passes, Derby looked much fittter and were first to nearly every ball, Everton looked very half hearted and devoid of any spirit and will to win, just seemed to accept the defeat. Anyway that wasn’t your fault Ring master, the way they performed and thanks for taking the time and trouble to help me out, much appreciated.

There will never be another Van den hauwe, mate.