Everton Youth Teams Thread

An impressive cameo from Simms when he came on, the goal was much as he was doing last season, running into space with speed, holding off defenders and finishing , something neither Hornby or Sambou looked capable of doing last season. He showed his strength again when battling for balls and the goal he nearly scored from Gordon’s cutback showed his positional awareness is developing too. I’m happy to accept Unsworth’s comments that they’ve worked hard on aspects of his game and give him credit, but he needs to get him up to a position of starting regularly, there’s 20 plus goals awaiting from a Simms/ Gordon partnership this season.

An impressive cameo from Simms when he came on, the goal was much as he was doing last season, running into space with speed, holding off defenders and finishing , something neither Hornby or Sambou looked capable of doing last season. He showed his strength again when battling for balls and the goal he nearly scored from Gordon’s cutback showed his positional awareness is developing too. I’m happy to accept Unsworth’s comments that they’ve worked hard on aspects of his game and give him credit, but he needs to get him up to a position of starting regularly, there’s 20 plus goals awaiting from a Simms/ Gordon partnership this season.
But does that matter or not? On one hand we're saying we don't care about results, and on the other hand we're saying yeah it's all very well developing his all round game and making him a better player but i'd rather you just threw him in because he'll score loads. Not sure the two marry up really.

It’s a joke, but nothing surprises me with unsworth anymore.

Wouldn’t even be bothered if we won the league again. Be more interested in the team if the likes of Astley ,John, Simms, mampalla were getting games. I’d Even have Carrol & Mackenzie hunt from the 18’s last year in before some playing tonight.

Winning the league should just be an added bonus to progress. You’re right it is a joke.

But does that matter or not? On one hand we're saying we don't care about results, and on the other hand we're saying yeah it's all very well developing his all round game and making him a better player but i'd rather you just threw him in because he'll score loads. Not sure the two marry up really.
You’re suggesting that both are incompatible, I’m not. Simms is far from being an accomplished PL2 player let alone first team ready and needs further development. But I’ve never seen a player yet who can develop only on the training grounds, every young player from Dowell, Kenny , Davies to Simms also needs to play real games to develop and not benchwarming. To me the development they will do with him on what he did well and not so well last night is much more significant than if he’d not played. For me it’s that simple , starting games is part of his development. I also believe he can score at U23s level, whether he can do it at a higher level I don’t know, again not incompatible with his development.

You’re suggesting that both are incompatible, I’m not. Simms is far from being an accomplished PL2 player let alone first team ready and needs further development. But I’ve never seen a player yet who can develop only on the training grounds, every young player from Dowell, Kenny , Davies to Simms also needs to play real games to develop and not benchwarming. To me the development they will do with him on what he did well and not so well last night is much more significant than if he’d not played. For me it’s that simple , starting games is part of his development. I also believe he can score at U23s level, whether he can do it at a higher level I don’t know, again not incompatible with his development.
It's entirely possible that the reason he came on and did so well last night is because he hasn't been playing though, no? They've given him a goal, a carrot at the end of the stick. Work hard, improve, and you'll play. So he has. If he was playing anyway maybe he wouldn't have worked so hard. We don't know, but many people on here seem to like put their arguments across as if they're indisputable when they're anything but.

David Unsworth praised “natural goalscorer” Ellis Simms’ work-ethic and hunger to learn after the striker came off the bench to hit the winner as Everton Under-23s beat Blackburn Rovers 2-1 on Monday night.

Lewis Gibson gave the Toffees a first-half lead before Joseph Rankin-Costello levelled for the away side shortly after the break.

In a game played at relentless tempo at Goodison Park – Everton struck the woodwork three times during the match – Simms’ strike 14 minutes from time secured maximum points for the young Blues.

In-form forward Anthony Gordon had hit five goals in his previous three matches for the Toffees but turned provider for the game’s decisive moment – brilliantly spinning Rovers midfielder Brad Lyons before threading a perfectly-weighted through pass to set Simms bearing in on goal.

The striker showcased his deadly composure, taking the ball in his stride with one deft touch before placing the ball past Joe Hilton with a crisp, accurate finish.

The victory moves Unsworth’s unbeaten team up to third in Premier League 2.

“It was a hard-fought win,” the manager told evertontv. “Blackburn are a good side and they have a lot of good young players.

“We could have been out of sight by half-time, but we weren’t quite as clinical as we were against Southampton [an 8-2 win on 30 August].

“But all credit to the players for grinding the result out.

“I can’t praise Ellis enough for the work he has done since we came back for pre-season on 1 July.

“He is a work in progress, but he is a natural goalscorer.

“We’re asking to him to play in a way that brings others into the game, too, showing work-rate and holding up the play.

“His movement when he came on tonight was exactly what we’ve been working on with him, and we’re delighted with that.

“The goal will do his confidence the world of good, but I was more excited about his movement to get in behind and get that opportunity.

“And when he gets into those positions, we know he’ll finish.”

Antony Evans supplied three assists in that 8-2 victory against the Saints – and he again displayed his exceptional ability from dead-ball scenarios to create the young Blues’ opener 21 minutes in.

The 20-year-old’s free-kick from the right had a potent combination of swerve, dip and power. It was begging for a finishing touch and centre-back Gibson obliged - showing his own impressive technique to side-foot a first-time finish past Hilton.

Everton has already carved out numerous chances by this point. The electric Gordon forced former Toffees Under-23s stopper Hilton into smart stop when he shot firmly at goal after being played in by Nathangelo Markelo.

England Under-19 international Gordon also saw a venomous 25-yard effort whistle fractions over the bar. Hilton was rooted to the spot.

Everton skipper Morgan Feeney planted a header against the post after a terrific centre from Evans – but it was far from one-way traffic

Rovers skipper Joseph Grayson headed over from no more than six yards with the game just 10 minutes old, while full-back Samuel Hart lashed an effort wide as his team searched for an equaliser following Gibson’s opener.

Everton could have extended their advantage before the break, though, Gordon glancing a header over the bar from Matty Foulds’ cross.

Blackburn flew out of the traps in the second half and struck a leveller on 48 minutes, Rankin-Costello swivelling in the box before placing a shot into the bottom corner.

Everton came within the width of a post of reasserting their advantage 10 minutes later when Evans’ well-hit effort from 20 yards cannoned off the woodwork.

The Toffees continued to commit men forward, and manager Unsworth’s made his intentions clear when he replaced defenders Alex Denny and Gibson with forward talents Manasse Mampala and Simms.

And Simms was to prove the match-winner for Everton – latching onto to a through pass by Gordon and coolly slotting past Hilton.

The pair linked up again in the game’s dying moments, Gordon cutting the ball back to Simms who was unfortunate to see his low drive strike the inside of the post and come out.

No matter, the Toffees saw out the game to ensure they head into Friday’s game at Brighton & Hove Albion with their unbeaten record intact.

“We showed some good passages of play but we’re not at the level we can be yet,” Unsworth added.

“But it still early in the season and it is great for these boys to win games.

“We’re certainly moving in the right direction.”
Great report Ring master, as ever, thank you.

It's entirely possible that the reason he came on and did so well last night is because he hasn't been playing though, no? They've given him a goal, a carrot at the end of the stick. Work hard, improve, and you'll play. So he has. If he was playing anyway maybe he wouldn't have worked so hard. We don't know, but many people on here seem to like put their arguments across as if they're indisputable when they're anything but.
Of course we don’t know , and I’ve never suggested my comments are indisputable so you are wrong on that account. I would also add many people on here like to create pointless arguments with others just for the sake of it, so I’ll end it there .

Of course we don’t know , and I’ve never suggested my comments are indisputable so you are wrong on that account. I would also add many people on here like to create pointless arguments with others just for the sake of it, so I’ll end it there .
I didn't say you did, I said many people do. So only one of us is wrong and it's not me.

My point was that many people in this thread have their opinion on Unsworth and treat literally everything that happens with confirmation bias. If a player isn't playing it's proof that Unsworth is glory hunting for personal gain rather than improving players. If you point out a player has improved then it will be argued that he would have improved more if handled differently. On one hand you say that 18 year old Anthony Gordon isn't inexperienced at under 23 level, and on the other you say that Unsworth hasn't picked him enough. It's not balanced, i'm simply trying to play devil's advocate to add that balance, but you think that's a pointless argument because it might mean you're not right.

I've got no problem with Charsley being around the the U23s. He's obviously well thought of and seems like a hard working young professional who will always do what's best for the team. From my knowledge, he has played both full back positions and right across the Middle during his time here, and some could argue, possibly at the expense of ever truly nailing down his own position. He always impressed me when I watched him at U18s and U23s level, and performed well in his game in the 1st team, while playing as an emergency Left back.

With the number of injuries, players released and lack of incoming U23 signings (possibly stemming from our ban) the squad is small and you need people in there, and his experience will also be invaluable to the younger players.

For a lot of the U18s people suggest we throw in to develop, there are a few things there. First, is the massive step up in not only quality but also physicality. Another is that they also have games in their own age group to contend with.

Another point i would make, is that while some don't see the point in winning the league, I would argue the opposite. While developing players is obviously the priority, helping give these young players the experience and if you will, habit of winning, is a good mentality to instill and breed. It also means, when the younger players do step up, that they know they will have to earn it and its not just a given they will start each week, something the 1st team could learn a bit about.

If Charsley is being picked, it's because he is trusted and they players vying for his position aren't doing or haven't done enough to replace him.

Looks Like Gibson and Feeney should be ok for Friday at BRIGHTON,after both went off injured etc last night

Lewis is ill. He did brilliant to go back on in the second-half," the boss added. "He wanted to give it a go after being sick at half-time. He made that decision which I respect. Morgan tweaked his knee but is fine

U21 players (Contract and Scholars)

Adedoyin, Korede Yemi
Adeniran, Dennis Emmanuel Abiodun Bamidele Chijioke
Anderson, Joseph William
Anderson Ogbomo, Jonathan Osazee
Astley, Ryan
Baningime, Beni
Barrett, Jack Joseph
Bowler, Joshua Luke
Broadhead, Nathan Paul
Cannon, Thomas Christopher
Carroll, Bobby Lee
Davidson, Joel
Davies, Thomas
Denny, Alexander
Dobbin, Lewis Norman
Evans, Antony Kenneth
Feeney, Morgan
Foulds, Matthew Colin
Garcia Ferreira, Rafael Isidro
Gibson, Lewis Jack
Gordon, Anthony Michael
Hagan, Harry Paul
Hansen, Nicolas Defreitas
Higgins, Liam Thomas
Hornby, Fraser
Hosie, Joshua
Hughes, Rhys
Hunt, MacKenzie James
Iversen, Einar Hjellestad
John, Kyle Alex
Kean, Bioty Moise
Leban, Zan Luk
Lowey, Daniel Harry
Mampala, Manasse
Markelo, Nathangelo Alexandro
McAllister, Sean Paul
McIntyre, Jack Cameron
Neves Virginia, Joao Manuel
Onyango, Tyler Jaden Napier Edward
Ouzounidis, Con
Phillips, Kieran James
Quirk, Sebastian Anthony
Simms, Ellis Reco
Thompson, Dylan Isaac
Thompson, Max
Tyrer, Harry
Warrington, Lewis Wesley
How much wages would that lot cost ??

I've got no problem with Charsley being around the the U23s. He's obviously well thought of and seems like a hard working young professional who will always do what's best for the team. From my knowledge, he has played both full back positions and right across the Middle during his time here, and some could argue, possibly at the expense of ever truly nailing down his own position. He always impressed me when I watched him at U18s and U23s level, and performed well in his game in the 1st team, while playing as an emergency Left back.

With the number of injuries, players released and lack of incoming U23 signings (possibly stemming from our ban) the squad is small and you need people in there, and his experience will also be invaluable to the younger players.

For a lot of the U18s people suggest we throw in to develop, there are a few things there. First, is the massive step up in not only quality but also physicality. Another is that they also have games in their own age group to contend with.

Another point i would make, is that while some don't see the point in winning the league, I would argue the opposite. While developing players is obviously the priority, helping give these young players the experience and if you will, habit of winning, is a good mentality to instill and breed. It also means, when the younger players do step up, that they know they will have to earn it and its not just a given they will start each week, something the 1st team could learn a bit about.

If Charsley is being picked, it's because he is trusted and they players vying for his position aren't doing or haven't done enough to replace him.
I disagree about the last bit. So Gordon wasn’t good enough at the back end of last season? When sambou was playing, even though he was leaving. Ryan Astley played RB the 2nd half of last season, but now is stuck on the bench, when he’s considered one of our best talents, how is that helping him.

The season before, with nothing to play for, David hennen, Luke Garbutt and Connor grant. All in their 20’s playing every week, while younger players and the future of the club sitting on the bench.

I couldn’t careless where we finish this season, just want to see our best talents getting games. Look at the 3 youngster doing well at Chelsea all been on loan a few times. Ok they may be better players which is a fair argument, but why isn’t feeney on loan, been part of the under 23’s for 3/4 years and looks like he hasn’t kicked on. Not been on loan once. Gibson & Gordon need to go in January before it’s to late for them.

Don’t know how true this is, but seen a few rumours about Brands walking out early of under 23 games, because of, at times the dour negative football and older players getting the nod. How easy would it be for brands to get rid of unsworth considering his long history with Everton and probably very close to Kenwright and Barrett baxendale.

I disagree about the last bit. So Gordon wasn’t good enough at the back end of last season? When sambou was playing, even though he was leaving. Ryan Astley played RB the 2nd half of last season, but now is stuck on the bench, when he’s considered one of our best talents, how is that helping him.

The season before, with nothing to play for, David hennen, Luke Garbutt and Connor grant. All in their 20’s playing every week, while younger players and the future of the club sitting on the bench.

I couldn’t careless where we finish this season, just want to see our best talents getting games. Look at the 3 youngster doing well at Chelsea all been on loan a few times. Ok they may be better players which is a fair argument, but why isn’t feeney on loan, been part of the under 23’s for 3/4 years and looks like he hasn’t kicked on. Not been on loan once. Gibson & Gordon need to go in January before it’s to late for them.

Don’t know how true this is, but seen a few rumours about Brands walking out early of under 23 games, because of, at times the dour negative football and older players getting the nod. How easy would it be for brands to get rid of unsworth considering his long history with Everton and probably very close to Kenwright and Barrett baxendale.
Yeah I've heard he's very close to the CEO! The more you look at the evidence re U23 and Unsworth I think its clear that he's more interested in winning the U23 league than developing the players. Even going back a few years Dowell played the whole season when clearly to develop he needed to play at a higher level. Sheedy also had a go at him, from what I've been told, about not looking after the players best long term interests (and the clubs) by keeping them in the U23 rather than letting them go out on loan.

I totally get what you’re saying and I’m not arguing that you’re wrong but as I said above, it’s important to note the alternate viewpoints.

Firstly, and being deadly serious, if brands isn’t willing to sack unsworth despite being so unhappy that he can’t even bear to watch the team play, then we need to sack him. He’s supposed to be in control of our football operations and he has a seat on the board, if he’s either scared to sack him or is willing to be undermined on something so fundamental to his role, then he’s not the man for the job.

You mention Gordon not playing at the end of last season like it’s a bad thing. Most people seem to agree that he’s been much better this season though, as in a hugely improved player. We have to concede then, that those two things may not be unrelated. Circumstantially, The evidence suggests that he’s been handled well.

Why has Feeney not gone on loan? I don’t know. Maybe nobody wants him. Maybe teams want him but nobody we’d be happy for him to go to. Maybe we think he would benefit more from our coaches.

What is certainly absurd is the idea that unsworth blocks loans in general. Loads of the young lads have gone out - Dowell, Connolly, Pennington, Williams, Robinson, bowler, Broadhead, Virginia and many more have all gone out in the last couple of years. What good has it done any of them though? Do we really want Feeney to be in the position that Virginia is for example? Loans are an option, but let’s not make out like it’s always preferable because clearly it’s not.