Everton Youth Teams Thread

....it’s so hard to say who will ‘make it’ because the step-up is so massive.

The club paid money for Bowler, so Brands might want to look at him. I think money has to be a factor as the club look for returns on investment. Virginia, Gibson and Adeniran also came at a fair cost.

You know i’ve been a big fan of Joe Williams since I first saw him as a 16 year old. Without being unkind, he’s fearless and can be horrible on the pitch. That type always have a chance because they have attitude. He’s also got good size and decent quality about him. He can be daft throwing himself into situations where he picks up injury. I’d say he’ll definitely make it with regards to a future in the game, Managers want his type in their team but I don’t know if that includes Silva.

I suspect Williams will be in competition with Davies. Interesting.

I think Gibson is the most likely inclusion of all from the U23 squad. He’s on a different level. Virginia must have a chance of being in the squad next season.

John, Astley and Gordon might have to wait another 12 months but will be on the radar.

Bowler also has size on his side, he looks much more of a man than most. I have not seen nearly as much of the kids as you but not many really impressed me that much. Gibson I agree, Virginia lacks consistency and much as I like watching the likes of Broadhead and Formby, the step up looks far too big for them at the moment.

I think we are at a situation where we are going to find out a lot about what Brands approach is. In many ways this summer is as difficult as the previous summer but for different reasons. He obviously wants to lower the age group of the first team, but how far he does this, how quickly and in what way is going to be open to discussion this window.

We have a plethora of returning players on loan who have all to varying degrees done ok. Classic and Onyekuru have caught the eye, Holgate has been one of the best defenders in the championship while Williams has been Bolton's best player. As we've indicated we also have an under 23's who are the best in the country.

Lots of difficult decisions to make. Lots of lads who conventionally ought to have some claim to be moving up and will likely be a bit disappointed. You also have players on the fringes of the first team squad in Davies, Kenny, Lookman who can't get a look in. Likely players being targeted who are younger too.

I have no idea how he will operate. I think you are probably quite close in terms of outgoings. I want to keep Lookman and Onyekuru but sense they might go. Brands has shown he's a good seller of players too and he has a much better product to work with now.

As for who could make the step up in 18 months. I think presently you would say Gibson could this summer and Gordon/Astley stand a chance the season after, but will need to keep developing. Lots of left field options on top of course, how will Ellis Simms step up? Will Hornby kick on? If Feeney keeps growing and puts another 2 inches on to say 6 ft 5 what difference might that make?
Seems to have found some form recently very direct, actually reminds me a bit of Ross when running with the ball. Have only seen him at u23's though.

Very confident and just offers more for me than Lookman, needs some senior game time though I guess.

The club paid money for Bowler, so Brands might want to look at him. I think money has to be a factor as the club look for returns on investment. Virginia, Gibson and Adeniran also came at a fair cost.

You know i’ve been a big fan of Joe Williams since I first saw him as a 16 year old. Without being unkind, he’s fearless and can be horrible on the pitch. That type always have a chance because they have attitude. He’s also got good size and decent quality about him. He can be daft throwing himself into situations where he picks up injury. I’d say he’ll definitely make it with regards to a future in the game, Managers want his type in their team but I don’t know if that includes Silva.

I think Gibson is the most likely inclusion of all from the U23 squad. He’s on a different level. Virginia must have a chance of being in the squad next season.

John, Astley and Gordon might have to wait another 12 months but will be on the radar.

Just based on the posts so far in response to my question...

I think we may be looking at something like this group of youngsters in preseason 2020;

Virginia
John Astley Gibson ???
Davies Williams
???
Bowler DCL Richarlison
Does that seem about right in your opinions?

If so, It would suggest that we may focus on a left back / left centre back depending on where Gibson ends up + a centre midfielder as priorities at this youth group. Thats if we discount, Vlasic, Lookman,Onyekuru, Kenny and Holgate.

My own initial thoughts were that we would need a left back behind Digne and a left sided centre back. Perhaps Gibson could act as cover for both positions while in the 1st team squad.

The weak area for me was in centre midfield where this season weve only seen Davies who hasnt been great + Williams/Vlasic on loan and we dont know if they are in Silvas plans.

Where do you think we need to bring in young players where they have the easiest pathway / least competition to be a part of the first team squad?

I think we may be looking at something like this group of youngsters in preseason 2020;

Virginia
John Astley Gibson ???
Davies Williams
???
Bowler DCL Richarlison

If so, It would suggest that we may focus on a left back / left centre back depending on where Gibson ends up + a centre midfielder as priorities at this youth group. Thats if we discount, Vlasic, Lookman,Onyekuru, Kenny and Holgate.

My own initial thoughts were that we would need a left back behind Digne and a left sided centre back. Perhaps Gibson could act as cover for both positions while in the 1st team squad.

The weak area for me was in centre midfield where this season weve only seen Davies who hasnt been great + Williams/Vlasic on loan and we dont know if they are in Silvas plans.

Where do you think we need to bring in young players where they have the easiest pathway / least competition to be a part of the first team squad?

....we have to manage expectation, though. We’re highlighting players who might have a chance of being involved. Ultimately, it will be good if 1 or 2 of the current Academy teams actually make the Everton squad. I expect quite a few will make a good living out of the game.

....we have to manage expectation, though. We’re highlighting players who might have a chance of being involved. Ultimately, it will be good if 1 or 2 of the current Academy teams actually make the Everton squad. I expect quite a few will make a good living out of the game.

For sure, its not a case of 'they WILL be in the preseason in 2020' but whether they could be on Brands radar now.

That seems to be the logical way to determine where we would strengthen the team.

Last edited:
...good, buying promising youngsters is a strategy that is working.

Appears we’ve had him here on trial so he must’ve impressed.

All over the danish websites which seems interesting.

Clearly must be highly rated by brands to pick him out at 16.

Portuguese newspaper O Jogo today features a story about Everton goalkeeper João Virgínia.

After winning the Premier League 2 for Arsenal last season, the player has now conquered his second title in a row for the Toffees last weekend.
It’s said that the last fixture, played against Brighton, had the eyes of Marco Silva and football director Marcel Brands, who were in the stands.
And O Jogo claims that Everton’s plans are to have Virgínia included in the first team squad next season, where he will have the place of second goalkeeper.
Regardless of where that information comes from, the newspaper also features a short interview with the player himself. The 19-year-old claims that both manager Marco Silva and goalkeeper Coach Hugo Oliveira have been watching him playing.
Capturar-45-224x300.png
“Marco Silva has enjoyed my evolution and is always following me, just like Hugo Oliveira,” João Virgínia told O Jogo. “They both talk a lot to me and one of the main developments I had was in consistency. An example of this was, in eleven games, to have nine clean sheets.”
About his next goals, Virgínia says: “I now want to make my debut in the Premier League.”
Signed from Arsenal last summer, Virgínia has a contract with Everton running until 2021. And he doesn’t seem to lack ambition around succeeding for the Toffees.
If the goalkeeper is promoted as it’s claimed, then it will possibly mean the exit of 36 year old Maarten Stekelenburg, who has a further season on his contract after this one.

Virginia
John Astley Gibson ???
Davies Williams
???
Bowler DCL Richarlison

I admire your enthusiasm mate, but there needs to be a huge dollop of realism surrounding some of those youngsters you’ve named for a pre season squad . Kyle John has made an impressive transition to an attacking full back , but he’s really lacking experience and defensive nous e.g. in the recent defeat against City he came on as sub and was caught way out of position for one of the goals. Nothing wrong with that , he’s still learning his position but it’s the kind of thing that if it happens in a first team squad game even pre season you don’t get seen again. There’s plenty of time for him to develop next season , he’s under contract for another two years so obviously well thought of.

Portuguese newspaper O Jogo today features a story about Everton goalkeeper João Virgínia.

After winning the Premier League 2 for Arsenal last season, the player has now conquered his second title in a row for the Toffees last weekend.
It’s said that the last fixture, played against Brighton, had the eyes of Marco Silva and football director Marcel Brands, who were in the stands.
And O Jogo claims that Everton’s plans are to have Virgínia included in the first team squad next season, where he will have the place of second goalkeeper.
Regardless of where that information comes from, the newspaper also features a short interview with the player himself. The 19-year-old claims that both manager Marco Silva and goalkeeper Coach Hugo Oliveira have been watching him playing.
Capturar-45-224x300.png

Marco Silva has enjoyed my evolution and is always following me, just like Hugo Oliveira,” João Virgínia told O Jogo.
“They both talk a lot to me and one of the main developments I had was in consistency. An example of this was, in
eleven games, to have nine clean sheets.
Arsenal fans werte fuming when they sold him to us so we extend wonky knees Steks contract...........”
About his next goals, Virgínia says: “I now want to make my debut in the Premier League.”
Signed from Arsenal last summer, Virgínia has a contract with Everton running until 2021. And he doesn’t seem to lack ambition around succeeding for the Toffees.
If the goalkeeper is promoted as it’s claimed, then it will possibly mean the exit of 36 year old Maarten Stekelenburg, who has a further season on his contract after this one.

It looks a great call to be fair mate.

In all honesty I didn't see it with Gibson until more recently. I don't get to watch the younger lads anywhere near as much now (change of job/circumstances) so I suspect that's part of it. I'd also say the under 23's were chaotically run last season and that didn't help anyone.

The defensive record has been fantastic this season though and is great credit to the lads at the back. I know a lot said it was down to Browning, but he's gone and we are just as solid (if not more so).

What I will say though, is there is a bit of an aura about Gibson now that generally comes with good players. In how people talk about him in the press, and in how he carries himself/things he says.
I think with Lewis Gibson you have to take a step back and realise he has had a couple of bad injuries which kept him out of the game for quite a while, he has come back from these injuries and is now showing why Everton agreed to pay a substantial down payment in order to get him on the books, hopefully he will have a good run free from injury and show why we paid out in order to get him here. Look out for him next season, I think he will get a few games, starting or from the bench.

I also was a big fan of Joe Williams, then he had a really bad injury which kept him out of the game for quite awhile, when he came back he looked like he had lost a bit of pace, but he persevered and had a good season at Barnsley, came back preseason, impressed Silva,then went out on loan to Bolton, played a lot of games for them this season, let’s see what Everton do with him next season, another loan? Or maybe keep here, I hope he has a future at the Blues.

Google Translate for more deets.
Edit: notice how Everton's site say he's for U18s yet these say he's for the U23's?

Lyngby Boldklub sells talent for Everton
by Jesper Krogh Heitmann | Apr 17, 2019 | News , Talent

Lyngby Boldklub has always been known to the young talents, and many people make their debut at the club's first team. This is seen in the 1st division now, where 12 of 23 players are of their own breeding. But there are also talents in Lyngby who take the step further in the football world long before they reach playing minutes for the first team. This applies, for example, to Frederik Sørensen (Cologne) Jacob Bruun Larsen (Dortmund) and Lasse Schøne in Ajax - and now a new player joins the company of players who take the step at a young age.

16-year-old Sebastian Kristensen, who is daily U17 player in Lyngby Boldklub, changes abroad abroad this summer. It is the English Premier League club Everton who has bought the defender directly from Lyngby's academy and will have to join their youth team Everton U23.
“We have a goal at the Academy to develop players in four tracks, and one of the tracks points to abroad at a young age. Our history is unambiguous in this area, and now Sebastian comes in some great footsteps. We are happy with Sebastian's development and his hard work, which now carries fruit in the form of a nice change. At the same time, we are proud that we have once again helped develop a player that is interesting for clubs at the top level, ”says sports manager Birger Jørgensen.

Completely in line with the strategy

Lyngby Ball Club, the family and Everton have been in dialogue for quite some time, and the process has convinced all parties that the shift is the right one for the 16-year-old player.

"Everton has followed Sebastian closely, had him on trial and has shown the format and willingness to get things going. The family and Sebastian have also been thorough, so even though it is a big step, it is well considered. We cry with one eye on sending players as early as possible, but at the same time we see it as a good opportunity and something we would like to support our talents in, in the cases where it makes sense for all parties. He and talent manager Nicas Kjeldsen, who is responsible for the club's academy, sees Sebastian Kristensen's switch to Everton as another success case for De Kongeblås talent development:
“We have said a lot that we will base our club on talent development and youth football, as part of our new vision. With us, the talents - historically and in the present - have a special place, and therefore we are particularly happy when our academy gets the recognition that other clubs are addressing. This applies regardless of whether it is a player like Sebastian who gets out early, or a player like Yussuf Poulsen, who gets many matches on the first team, goes abroad and is now a profile in the Bundesliga. "
“In short, we must succeed with all our talents. Both those who arrive early, those who reach the first team, those who end up staying here and playing many battles, and those who do not get through the keyhole, but who have an educational and football commitment to help further best possible. They all need something from our academy. This strikes exactly in the vein of the strategy we have in relation to the talent work, where we will succeed with 100% of our talents, ”says Nicas Kjeldsen.

The sale of Sebastian Kristensen is finalized for the summer after passing a medical check. Until then, the defender continues on Lyngby's U17 team and then joins Everton's U23 team.

Google Translate for more deets.
Edit: notice how Everton's site say he's for U18s yet these say he's for the U23's?

by Jesper Krogh Heitmann | Apr 17, 2019 | News , Talent

Lyngby Boldklub has always been known to the young talents, and many people make their debut at the club's first team. This is seen in the 1st division now, where 12 of 23 players are of their own breeding. But there are also talents in Lyngby who take the step further in the football world long before they reach playing minutes for the first team. This applies, for example, to Frederik Sørensen (Cologne) Jacob Bruun Larsen (Dortmund) and Lasse Schøne in Ajax - and now a new player joins the company of players who take the step at a young age.

16-year-old Sebastian Kristensen, who is daily U17 player in Lyngby Boldklub, changes abroad abroad this summer. It is the English Premier League club Everton who has bought the defender directly from Lyngby's academy and will have to join their youth team Everton U23.
“We have a goal at the Academy to develop players in four tracks, and one of the tracks points to abroad at a young age. Our history is unambiguous in this area, and now Sebastian comes in some great footsteps. We are happy with Sebastian's development and his hard work, which now carries fruit in the form of a nice change. At the same time, we are proud that we have once again helped develop a player that is interesting for clubs at the top level, ”says sports manager Birger Jørgensen.

Completely in line with the strategy

Lyngby Ball Club, the family and Everton have been in dialogue for quite some time, and the process has convinced all parties that the shift is the right one for the 16-year-old player.

"Everton has followed Sebastian closely, had him on trial and has shown the format and willingness to get things going. The family and Sebastian have also been thorough, so even though it is a big step, it is well considered. We cry with one eye on sending players as early as possible, but at the same time we see it as a good opportunity and something we would like to support our talents in, in the cases where it makes sense for all parties. He and talent manager Nicas Kjeldsen, who is responsible for the club's academy, sees Sebastian Kristensen's switch to Everton as another success case for De Kongeblås talent development:
“We have said a lot that we will base our club on talent development and youth football, as part of our new vision. With us, the talents - historically and in the present - have a special place, and therefore we are particularly happy when our academy gets the recognition that other clubs are addressing. This applies regardless of whether it is a player like Sebastian who gets out early, or a player like Yussuf Poulsen, who gets many matches on the first team, goes abroad and is now a profile in the Bundesliga. "
“In short, we must succeed with all our talents. Both those who arrive early, those who reach the first team, those who end up staying here and playing many battles, and those who do not get through the keyhole, but who have an educational and football commitment to help further best possible. They all need something from our academy. This strikes exactly in the vein of the strategy we have in relation to the talent work, where we will succeed with 100% of our talents, ”says Nicas Kjeldsen.

The sale of Sebastian Kristensen is finalized for the summer after passing a medical check. Until then, the defender continues on Lyngby's U17 team and then joins Everton's U23 team.

Brands only signs ballers.

I admire your enthusiasm mate, but there needs to be a huge dollop of realism surrounding some of those youngsters you’ve named for a pre season squad . Kyle John has made an impressive transition to an attacking full back , but he’s really lacking experience and defensive nous e.g. in the recent defeat against City he came on as sub and was caught way out of position for one of the goals. Nothing wrong with that , he’s still learning his position but it’s the kind of thing that if it happens in a first team squad game even pre season you don’t get seen again. There’s plenty of time for him to develop next season , he’s under contract for another two years so obviously well thought of.

If you read the last few pages you'll see im not the one who named these players + its for preseason with the first team 2020.