Everton Youth Teams Thread

No offence, but every dof takes a lot of chances on cheap young punts and a lot don't work out, it's not a massive thing to knock the guy over. There's plenty of ammo to knock him for without having to nit pick like this.

Having a go at the article, not you btw.
Agree. Brought in for free by Walsh , didn’t work , move on , but keep looking to bring in identified talent from abroad as this could be key with our u18 transfer ban.

No offence, but every dof takes a lot of chances on cheap young punts and a lot don't work out, it's not a massive thing to knock the guy over. There's plenty of ammo to knock him for without having to nit pick like this.

Having a go at the article, not you btw.

...agree, these signings are low risk and potentially high reward. I’m 100% critical of Walsh for setting the club back, but the Lookman purchase will offset any youth signings that don’t work out.

Sorry mate I didn't mean it that way to be having a pop.

Solanke was a very developed lad physically and is at an academy that in truth get very favourable treatment by England youth coaches. There is a certain laziness to it, and a certain inevitability to it (you often visit the same club, get friendly with coaches etc).

It always seemed clear to me when others caught him up he didn't have enough all round game to fully prosper. It's certainly proven that way thus far. Has he even scored a PL goal in the last 2 years?

I doubt Brewster or Hope will be bought for 19 million (which is an insane fee from Howe, one he has a bit of a habit of doing to be honest). In many ways it's the sort of fee that sums up everything that is wrong with English football really. A very ordinary lad, who has only got recognition based primarily upon the two clubs he's played for gets a huge sign on fee. Managers like Howe are stupid enough to pay such fees so potential stars will repeat the same journey and ultimately not fulfil potential.

However while they may not be bought for the same fees, it's the same journey. Absolutely hammering under 18's games due to their strength and speed, but when others catch their development up the lack of technical skill soon catches them out.

It's probably the one worry I have for Simms too. I haven't seen a lot of him this season, but in a pre season match last year I wasn't overly impressed. You could see with a lad like Jeffers for example he had a level of intelligence and composure in front of goal that would translate well. Simms record is outstanding but we do need to be a bit wary of that in my view.

Calvert Lewin has come up the hard way and it shows a bit. I think he works a lot harder than Solanke. I also think he's quicker and more athletic. I don't know if I'd have called that at 18, it would have been a big call and and I doubt I'd have known who Calvert Lewin was. However as soon as I saw him for the first team (I think he was 19) I always felt he'd do ok. I've cautioned against the Kane comparisons which we both agree are ridiculous, but he has something about him that makes him effective.

I don't see it with Solanke at all. It's not even an Everton/Liverpool thing. I've been proven wrong on other players. I've said Curtis Jones was the bets young player I've seen since Barkley (and he has stalled) and also sung the praises of Woodburn (who looks to be flopping). So I get lots wrong too!
Not at all mate, I know what you're saying.

I was obviously being facetious about Hope etc but you may well be right. Personally I've always thought Solanke has got something about him - he impressed me when he came on for Bournemouth last week against Newcastle too - and I'd be genuinely surprised if he doesn't have a good career at the top level. I'm not saying he'll be a world beater but I think he's got more than enough to his game to be a PL regular and get more international caps. Like you say though, I've been wrong before too, and predicting the path of young players is never easy. DCL is certainly ahead of him for now in my eyes, but he's still got plenty of improving of his own to do. Fingers crossed he can do it.

Looks like England are losing their long unbeaten run, Germany scoring in the last minute of normal time to go ahead 2-1.
It was interesting watching Dowell and Davies playing together for England u21 . After a while it was clear that they were being outclassed in midfield by a more technically adept German team. Both were substituted 2nd half , perhaps not an experiment they’ll repeat.

It was interesting watching Dowell and Davies playing together for England u21 . After a while it was clear that they were being outclassed in midfield by a more technically adept German team. Both were substituted 2nd half , perhaps not an experiment they’ll repeat.
It’s mad where Dowell has been played over the last few years. On the right and left wings. Number 10, centre mid, Sheffield Utd player him wing back. And now England have played him in defensive midfield.

Think he need a position quickly. I think he would suit the left hand side of a midfield 3.

It’s mad where Dowell has been played over the last few years. On the right and left wings. Number 10, centre mid, Sheffield Utd player him wing back. And now England have played him in defensive midfield.

Think he need a position quickly. I think he would suit the left hand side of a midfield 3.
I agree. I don't think he's the only one who has suffered from that either to be honest. I think coaches know he has a lot of ability so they're desperately trying to fit him in somewhere, but he also has a number of weaknesses, which can prevent him from nailing down certain roles. I've said before, he's at a stage where he needs to make his breakthrough now. Unfortunately I think he's already missed his chance here, but I'd love to see him properly make it somewhere.

....i’m a Dowell fan, from what I have seen Dowell has come through the ranks (club and international level) as a Right sided midfielder. In his last season at youth level David Unsworth said the coaches at Everton felt his future would be as a no10, but he’s not really taken the opportunity when played in that position.

I felt it was a major error to send him on loan to Forest when we were so weak on the right sided midfield in the final throes of the Koeman era. Aaron Lennon had a run there but we lacked the creativity and goals Dowell could’ve brought. Added to that, Dowell already had a well established partnership with Jonjo Kenny. Sadly, the Walsh/Koeman axis lacked foresight, and sent him on loan to Forest. We’d have learned a lot had he stayed.

Absolutely spot on suggestion. With his vision and outstanding weight of pass he is made for that role if he had three forwards with pace up front ahead of him. Plus he could weigh in with a fair number of goals with his long distance shooting from outside the box.

The German midfield are all regular Bundesliga starters.

Didnt see the game, who did the germans have in midfield?

Was it only Dowell and Davies central?

Didnt see the game, who did the germans have in midfield?

Was it only Dowell and Davies central?
Well in theory you could say that Foden started in midfield . Before hand commentators suggested that Dowell was the deep lying mid with Foden and Davies ahead. Then as they started it looked likeDowell left , Davies centre , Foden right but seem to morph into Davies/ Dowell as two DFMs , Foden further forward . It was poor tactics from Boothroyd and they were unable to cope with their midfield , with the German right back marauding down the flank as Barnes on the left let him go. Kyle Walker-Peters was poor at right back , so maybe Kenny will now get a bit more recognition.
Dahoud was the outstanding German midfielder.

Well in theory you could say that Foden started in midfield . Before hand commentators suggested that Dowell was the deep lying mid with Foden and Davies ahead. Then as they started it looked likeDowell left , Davies centre , Foden right but seem to morph into Davies/ Dowell as two DFMs , Foden further forward . It was poor tactics from Boothroyd and they were unable to cope with their midfield , with the German right back marauding down the flank as Barnes on the left let him go. Kyle Walker-Peters was poor at right back , so maybe Kenny will now get a bit more recognition.
Dahoud was the outstanding German midfielder.
I find it amazing that Boothroyd is part of the set up , the way his teams used to play.

I remember Dahoud being linked with Liverpool a few years ago. How old is he now?