Everton Youth Teams Thread

I was surprised by Simms’ stats above, only one appearance in PL 2, I know I’ve seen him feature in streamed U23s games and he struggled to make an impact, and that has been the general consensus of people. Some of those games though where as a sub coming on late , so I wonder what his total U23s mins are.

Let’s put aside any nonsense about Simms being given a go in the first team squad, but really he should be given more opportunity at U23s THIS season. Sure he hasn’t impressed significantly at U23s but he’s had little game time there too, and this season Hornby or Sambou have hardly lit up the goalscoring charts in PL2 given their total games.

Returning to a theme I’ve harped on about a few times, Unsworth has the defence well drilled and well protected by Adeniran/Markelo but we don’t score many goals or let many in. So it’s going to be tough for Simms to make his mark as he won’t get the same service at U23s as he gets at u18, but time to give him more games for the U23s. Only 3 league games left but the Premier League Cup would be a good opportunity.

....I have a view that it’s majorly more difficult for forwards to make the step out of their own age group because the skill set is so different. The likes of Gibson, John and others make the step up to be regulars in the older age group but not many forwards do. Gordon is the one attacker who now seems to have bridged the divide.

...it’s a good point, he’s undoubtably a goalscorer so whilst he won’t be as prolific for the step up, he could still have a decent average.
He's already scored 2 for them from just a handful of appearances, most of them from the bench. So that's already decent.

The other thing that I'm not sure anybody has picked up on yet is that he doesn't take pens. I don't think any of his goals, certainly not in the league anyway, have been pens. I know that Liverpool lad who is currently in the England side has scored quite a few.

Any time I've seen Simms at U23 level he's looked very average.

I suspect the equality in physicality and also the experience of U23 defenders is the reason for this.
Agreed, I’ve said the same and so has everybody, that he’s been average at U23s.

But.... I’ve had a closer look at what we’ve seen. He played 61 mins in PL2 when we beat Derby 1-0 ; 90 mins against Bayern, 25 mins against Brighton both in that International Cup, scoring against Brighton; 18 mins against Oldham in the Checkatrade Trophy. So that’s barely two and a bit games in total . He’s also played in the Lancashire cup I think, but I can’t remember that.
I think that while we judged him on what we saw , he really hasn’t been given enough game time to bed in and make his mark and deserves more time at 23s. All I am saying , is give Simms a chance lol ( at U23s that is)

Agreed, I’ve said the same and so has everybody, that he’s been average at U23s.

But.... I’ve had a closer look at what we’ve seen. He played 61 mins in PL2 when we beat Derby 1-0 ; 90 mins against Bayern, 25 mins against Brighton both in that International Cup, scoring against Brighton; 18 mins against Oldham in the Checkatrade Trophy. So that’s barely two and a bit games in total . He’s also played in the Lancashire cup I think, but I can’t remember that.
I think that while we judged him on what we saw , he really hasn’t been given enough game time to bed in and make his mark and deserves more time at 23s. All I am saying , is give Simms a chance lol ( at U23s that is)

Oh yeh definitely not saying he's had enough minutes at U23 yet I'm just getting an early prediction in for that he won't be as good at that level. Gives off a Brewster vibe.