Everton Youth Teams Thread

Hmm it's an interesting question. You'd have to say - in my opinion -, from current U23 squad, the best/oldest players are:

Feeney, Virginia, Gibson, Markelo, Adeniran, Hornb, Bowler

However I'd like all of them to go out on loan next season.

Maybe the year after next we might see Gordon, Virginia or Feeney a bit. Not sure on the others, but Hornby has looked decent when I've seen bits, and he would be about the age then when most people would want him to be pushing on.

supposed to be sick him isn't he? wasn't he linked with one of the german clubs quite recently as well who are getting into a habbit of poaching good young English talent

then again we've had a few players with hype recently which hasn't worked, ledson and walsh to name a couple

Gordon looks the most talented to me from what I've seen in person, online and read in here. I would say there is cautious optimism. As you say, we've seen plenty of our top prospects fall by the wayside recently, and he is still very young.

Hard to disagree with that, people pop in every few months with a “is the next Rooney/ Foden/ Sancho coming through.?” and the answer is no. But. if I put on my optimism hat, don my rose coloured specs as I drink my glass half full of beer.... we may just sneak an u 23 into a first team squad this season.
There are four players who I’d consider third choices , so an injury or two in that position and they could be back up, these are Virginia as goalkeeper, Feeney as a CB with Mina/ Jags injured, Gibson at LB behind Digne/Baines and Astley RB behind Kenny/ Coleman. I would add that none are currently far enough on to actually challenge current incumbents but if we are soon in a “nothing left to the season “ situation who knows.
Things change rapidly in a few months at this age too, and while everybody knows of Anthony Gordon he faded a bit with his injury. Now he’s been our best U23s/18 player the past couple of months, developed physically too and again while not developed enough to push for a place , I think it would be a good boost to everybody to get him involved with the 1st team before season’s end.
Good post.

I would add Kyle John to your mini list too. I saw something in him in the few games he played at RB for the U23s as a 17yo. The timing of his injury was a real shame.

As it says in the caption,Everton u18s top on GD are away to stoke u18s saturday,

That 2nd goal is one of the best counterattacking goals you’re likely to see, winning the ball back virtually at the corner flag , 4 passes and he’s rounding the keeper and putting it into the net. Impressive
Sigh,only a few more days and it’s back to the reality of the PL.

That 2nd goal is one of the best counterattacking goals you’re likely to see, winning the ball back virtually at the corner flag , 4 passes and he’s rounding the keeper and putting it into the net. Impressive
Sigh,only a few more days and it’s back to the reality of the PL.
So many times that pass for the 2nd goal is on,but so few times its attempted when we can see it,and surely they can as well,you off course need that ability to be able to try it,great pass

So many times that pass for the 2nd goal is on,but so few times its attempted when we can see it,and surely they can as well,you off course need that ability to be able to try it,great pass
Indeed. I can’t make out who made the pass, but I’m guessing it was Rhys Hughes , the young Wales u17 international who plays right midfield. He’s looked decent when he played.

Indeed. I can’t make out who made the pass, but I’m guessing it was Rhys Hughes , the young Wales u17 international who plays right midfield. He’s looked decent when he played.
It's a great ball, the first time I thought the keeper should have come for it -that it was too close to the box, but watching it back I'm not so sure. Creating that uncertainty in the defence helps out your forward.

To the resident experts, is there any stand out players coming through? What about that young striker, Can’t think of his name?

...some excellent youth team analysts on here. I don’t think there’s a stand-out, Simms is very high-profile because of his goal return, but he’s still mainly playing in his own age group (U18) and only plays occasionally at U23. Anthony Gordon is an U18 who plays more at U23 and has been around the first team (played in EL). Gordon is clearly talented, but he’s not dominating U23 games and you have to be very special to make the step up.

Hornby is U23 age and has the physicality to be a striker. Scores goals for Scotland at youth level, we paid money for him so he might be one Silva gives a run out in pre-season.

Defenders have to have more of a chance because the skill set isn’t as testing. We paid decent money for Lewis Gibson and he’s one I particularly like. He’s got attitude and stepped up and captained U23s as a youngster. Astley and John also on the radar but if one of the current crop come through it would be good.

Worth following this season’s FA Youth Cup, I always think it’s an indicator of having a special individual or a crop of decent ones (Rooney’s year got the final; we won it with Hibbert, Osman et al.