Everton Youth Teams Thread

I think Hornby was earlier and this 1 year stuff may be Brands influence. The worry is the likes of Lavery and Denny have had good exposure internationally and if they have a good season could easily let their contract lapse and walk into another club. Still we’re avoiding repeating the McAleny/Grant/Duffus/Dyson situation we had for a few years back with them blocking others coming through with no significant chance of making it with us.

I think Hornby was earlier and this 1 year stuff may be Brands influence. The worry is the likes of Lavery and Denny have had good exposure internationally and if they have a good season could easily let their contract lapse and walk into another club. Still we’re avoiding repeating the McAleny/Grant/Duffus/Dyson situation we had for a few years back with them blocking others coming through with no significant chance of making it with us.

Would you miss Lavery or Denny if they left now?

Are there players we have chosen to release at 19+ years of age who we should have retained?

Only one I can think of is Mustafi, and I'd argue he much better suited Spanish/Italian football than the English game anyway.

There has to come a point where players leave and try and make a living in the game at a lower level.

If they do well I expect they will be offered further extensions during the season to avoid a "Gosling" situation.

Would you miss Lavery or Denny if they left now?
I think they both have potential but obviously don’t know how they’ll turn out. Denny is another who theyre trying at full back, maybe that’ll work , I can see Adeniran and Markelo now being the key midfield pairing though, so maybe difficult for Denny to get in.
As mightymoyes says,Lavery’s an option up front , but am hoping our front three are Gordon, Hornby, Bowler to start with. - a very young trio but bags of potential.
So to answer the question, I think we’d survive without them so wouldn’t miss them in that sense , both are worthy of their contracts though.

If they do well I expect they will be offered further extensions during the season to avoid a "Gosling" situation.
Yeah I was thinking about Gosling re 1 year contracts being run down, just offering written contracts, even if not accepted avoids the same situation. That means we get compensation unless they go abroad, which mitigates a wee bit youngsters being offered big contracts because they are completly free.

Think they’re avoiding Luke Garbutt-syndrome.
Garbutt was a bit different in that he was 21 when we gave him that 5 year contract, Denny is probably still only 18?.

But with the number of young players 21 and under currently in the first team set up, there has to be some sort of a bottleneck starting that is effecting those coming through after. Plus as we're rumoured to be bringing in other youngters to plug gaps in quality, I would have thought we'd only be giving out 1 or 2 year contracts to all but the very best of our youngsters.

I think they both have potential but obviously don’t know how they’ll turn out. Denny is another who theyre trying at full back, maybe that’ll work , I can see Adeniran and Markelo now being the key midfield pairing though, so maybe difficult for Denny to get in.
As mightymoyes says,Lavery’s an option up front , but am hoping our front three are Gordon, Hornby, Bowler to start with. - a very young trio but bags of potential.
So to answer the question, I think we’d survive without them so wouldn’t miss them in that sense , both are worthy of their contracts though.

Yeh wasn’t picking was merely asking for an opinion. Agree they’re both worthy of a year but I’ve never seen anything from either to make me feel regretful if they left.

It's interesting it's only a year extension for Denny and perhaps why he was linked with Rangers. Hints at a change of strategy from Brands. Maybe he wants to clear more out more quickly, maybe he want to bring lots in next year so there won't be space, or maybe he just wants to keep younger players hungry for more?

As for Denny he has always played up on himself in terms of age groups, which is normally a good indicator of how he's viewed. The difficulty is, a lot of that has been down to his size. I am not sure how much more other than size he has in his favour.

He looks a big lad, is comfortable on the ball and decent in the tackle. He has a bit of a log jam ahead of him, but as with all the young players how they continue to develop is important. I didn't think Beni would be in the first team squad last season, so sometimes you get a break. Good luck to him.

It's interesting it's only a year extension for Denny and perhaps why he was linked with Rangers. Hints at a change of strategy from Brands. Maybe he wants to clear more out more quickly, maybe he want to bring lots in next year so there won't be space, or maybe he just wants to keep younger players hungry for more?

As for Denny he has always played up on himself in terms of age groups, which is normally a good indicator of how he's viewed. The difficulty is, a lot of that has been down to his size. I am not sure how much more other than size he has in his favour.

He looks a big lad, is comfortable on the ball and decent in the tackle. He has a bit of a log jam ahead of him, but as with all the young players how they continue to develop is important. I didn't think Beni would be in the first team squad last season, so sometimes you get a break. Good luck to him.

Turns out it was 2 yrs after initially being reported as only being to the end of this season

DiY7AwXW4AAnLb9.jpg

Still no new contract for Alex Denny, it seems like the rumours of a mini dispute with the club may be true, yet he is with and playing for the U23s . Hope this is resolved soon.
Signed a new one year deal

Timing can be so crucial , timing always seemed to be against Walsh when he was here