Everton Youth Teams Thread

As someone who knows Emilio very, very well, he’s absolutely miles away.

He’s a good player in his age group but let’s not get carried away.

On the negative side, I don’t know what’s going on at Everton but we’re being left behind massively by a lot of clubs at Academy level. We’ve gone from being a much respected cat 1 Academy, one of the better ones, to one of the weaker academies who are now making up the numbers in this category.

There’s lots of big players on the move this summer at u16/17/18 level and we’re not even in the conversation.

It’s also going to take a very good offer to get Emilio to sign a contract here. I wouldn’t be surprised if he also refuses a scholar and moves on to City, United or Liverpool, maybe even the likes of Villa, Brighton, Palace or Leeds who are also pulling in some big players right now and where he’ll just be a good player, not a stand out.

Just to put a bit of perspective on the idea that he’ll be playing first team football this year.
It’s an interesting but gloomy perspective you’ve painted. I have no inside club knowledge/contacts whatsoever so pick up bits from the likes of yourself and others, other sites and my own observations. For instance I am puzzled why Leeds pick up Sean McGurk from Wigan but we are still faffing about trying to sign Carragher . It’s nothing to do with respective quality of the players, whether he‘s needed or not just puzzled as to why we haven’t just got the signing done if someone believes it’s a good signing.

From my perspective, looking from the outside, I’m gloomy about the 1st team but relatively positive about the U23s/u18. This is not an expectation of trophies, just that the changes we started making a few years ago have continued and accelerated regarding getting the young players “ playing up “ earlier. I took the Lawrence first team post as a tongue in cheek dig at Small, I don’t think anybody realistically believes we’ll feature a Schoolboy this season. A few years ago the pattern seemed to be that a talented Schoolboy started to feature at u18 after Christmas, talented 2nd years may get some minutes at U23s but it was deemed “ a big step up” - I’m harking back to Gordon/Simms time . It is realistic now to expect Lawrence , and maybe other u16s , to be starting at u18s before Christmas and depending on their progress u23 players during the season. That’s still quite an achievement, and quite a change in approach as from memory only Astley and Jenson Metcalfe have started U23s as Schoolboys, I think Quintyne played in two games but didn’t start.

Maybe I’m a glass-half full guy when it comes to the youngsters, I just enjoy the streams/ reports for what they are with no huge expectations and statistically we know we’ve been pretty poor at developing regular first teamers from the Academy lately. I dont know what’s going on recruitment wise or within the Academy , but I do see progress with 1st years and Schoolboys playing at U23s last season, u15s /16 playing at u18. I guess we’ll know more when the loan/transfer window closes and we see more clearly who is playing at U23s/18.

It’s an interesting but gloomy perspective you’ve painted. I have no inside club knowledge/contacts whatsoever so pick up bits from the likes of yourself and others, other sites and my own observations. For instance I am puzzled why Leeds pick up Sean McGurk from Wigan but we are still faffing about trying to sign Carragher . It’s nothing to do with respective quality of the players, whether he‘s needed or not just puzzled as to why we haven’t just got the signing done if someone believes it’s a good signing.

From my perspective, looking from the outside, I’m gloomy about the 1st team but relatively positive about the U23s/u18. This is not an expectation of trophies, just that the changes we started making a few years ago have continued and accelerated regarding getting the young players “ playing up “ earlier. I took the Lawrence first team post as a tongue in cheek dig at Small, I don’t think anybody realistically believes we’ll feature a Schoolboy this season. A few years ago the pattern seemed to be that a talented Schoolboy started to feature at u18 after Christmas, talented 2nd years may get some minutes at U23s but it was deemed “ a big step up” - I’m harking back to Gordon/Simms time . It is realistic now to expect Lawrence , and maybe other u16s , to be starting at u18s before Christmas and depending on their progress u23 players during the season. That’s still quite an achievement, and quite a change in approach as from memory only Astley and Jenson Metcalfe have started U23s as Schoolboys, I think Quintyne played in two games but didn’t start.

Maybe I’m a glass-half full guy when it comes to the youngsters, I just enjoy the streams/ reports for what they are with no huge expectations and statistically we know we’ve been pretty poor at developing regular first teamers from the Academy lately. I dont know what’s going on recruitment wise or within the Academy , but I do see progress with 1st years and Schoolboys playing at U23s last season, u15s /16 playing at u18. I guess we’ll know more when the loan/transfer window closes and we see more clearly who is playing at U23s/18.

I think we have a half decent U23's but we certainly don't (couldn't till recently) strengthen from outside. Wigan had a large crop of talented kids who've been nabbed, even last season when we played them I thought they looked miles better same with WBA. Would be nice for us to fill in positions from elsewhere instead of keeping hold of those who won't ever make it for the first team (Anderson, Astley etc.)

FWIW i think we lost interest in carragher a while a go for whatever reason, maybe didnt think he was really good enough or he really improved and Wigan wanted him involved with their 1st team and had started asking for a daft sum.

I think we have a half decent U23's but we certainly don't (couldn't till recently) strengthen from outside. Wigan had a large crop of talented kids who've been nabbed, even last season when we played them I thought they looked miles better same with WBA. Would be nice for us to fill in positions from elsewhere instead of keeping hold of those who won't ever make it for the first team (Anderson, Astley etc.)
Well “ the ban” of course affected the u18/u16 not the U23s . We did pick up a young left back ( Nkounkou) and a centre back ( Branthwaite) last season both are better than Anderson/Astley and proved too good for the U23s . It remains to be seen if we can get the young Dutch defender Luuk Kluiters signed, but it appears we are at least trying to bring players in.

Well “ the ban” of course affected the u18/u16 not the U23s . We did pick up a young left back ( Nkounkou) and a centre back ( Branthwaite) last season both are better than Anderson/Astley and proved too good for the U23s . It remains to be seen if we can get the young Dutch defender Luuk Kluiters signed, but it appears we are at least trying to bring players in.

I was meaning more recruiting at an age range lower than Nkounkou/Branthwaite.

As someone who knows Emilio very, very well, he’s absolutely miles away.

He’s a good player in his age group but let’s not get carried away.

On the negative side, I don’t know what’s going on at Everton but we’re being left behind massively by a lot of clubs at Academy level. We’ve gone from being a much respected cat 1 Academy, one of the better ones, to one of the weaker academies who are now making up the numbers in this category.

There’s lots of big players on the move this summer at u16/17/18 level and we’re not even in the conversation.

It’s also going to take a very good offer to get Emilio to sign a contract here. I wouldn’t be surprised if he also refuses a scholar and moves on to City, United or Liverpool, maybe even the likes of Villa, Brighton, Palace or Leeds who are also pulling in some big players right now and where he’ll just be a good player, not a stand out.

Just to put a bit of perspective on the idea that he’ll be playing first team football this year.
If you know him well and you're doubtful he will even sign up here then yes it would be extremely unlikely he plays first team. He is still here though for now and he might want to be the big fish rather than just another player. Thierry Small was miles away from first team football as well and we only gave him his debut to try and get him to re-sign. I don't think being first team ready will come into it as I'd expect it to be a 30 second cameo 3-0 up to a team in the FA cup

Whilst I do think we have a good production line I am dissapointed with club recruitment since the ban ended. Even at 23s the Chelsea 3 we weren't even in the conversation for. Makes me wonder how long Perkins has actually been on gardening leave for

All our better u16 this year should in in and around the 18s and they will but this is a year behind some clubs.

United had at least 8 or 9 off last years under 15s playing under 18s games, some doing it regularly.

Carragher has signed a pro at Wigan so he’s not as easy to get. McGurk refused his pro contract. There’s still some great players in that Wigan Academy u18 / u16 team and we should be all over them as it’s only a matter of time before they get picked off.

This thread used to be a beacon of positivity on this site, ever looking forward to the next young lad who may break into the first team.

Now with our best u17 seemingly on the way, and our best u16 not completely sold on Everton, plus the head of recruitment only lasting 18 months, not even the youth thread is safe.

Here's looking forward to one of Gordon, Whittaker, Simms , Dobbin, Onyango Branthwaite or Price upping their games this year and help us to get excited about the first team again.