Everton Youth Teams Thread

Paul Tait was delighted with his side's "clinical" performance as his free-scoring Under-18s eased past Sunderland at the Academy of Light.

Hat-tricks from Tom Cannon and Lewis Dobbin helped Everton to a comprehensive 7-2 victory. The Under-18s are now level on points with second-placed Liverpool in the U18 Premier League (North) standings.

Sunderland’s Cole Kiernan cancelled out Sean McCallister's strike before Dobbin and Cannon opened their accounts for the afternoon just before the interval.

The home side grabbed one back just after the break to make it 3-2, but it was the Blues who took second-half ascendancy in style as Cannon and Dobbin each scored two further goals to complete their respective trebles.

"I was delighted," Tait told evertonfc.com.

"We knew where Sunderland are [at the bottom of the table] and we had to make sure the lads wouldn't be complacent at the start of the game. We had to treat them with respect and I thought they did that.

"They were tricky conditions, once again. It was almost like Derby last week, very windy and I thought we played some good football.

"It was really pleasing because we had some first-year scholars playing, so it was a very young team we put out as well."

The Blues made the breakthrough on 27 minutes when McCallister let fly from range and found the back of the net.

The lead didn't last long, though, and just five minutes later the home side were level as Kiernan dragged Sunderland back into the contest.

The power and pace from the Everton frontline was proving troublesome for the hosts' defence and Dobbin wasted little time in re-establishing the young Blues' lead. Just five minutes before the break the young winger cut in from the left and beautifully arrowed his right-footed strike past the Black Cats' keeper.

For the hosts, half-time couldn't come quick enough, however, the Blues were just finding their rhythm. In the dying stages of the first 45, the instrumental Katia Kouyate threaded an inch-perfect through-ball into the feet of Cannon, who completed the job with ease.

Sunderland’s McKenzie Diciccio struck two minutes after the restart to put the hosts within one goal.

However, it soon turned into the Cannon and Dobbin show as the pair both completed hat-tricks to the Blues out of sight.

Two quickfire Dobbin goals just shy of the hour mark gave the visitors a commanding 5-2 advantage.

And Cannon completed a stylish performance from the Blues late on. The forward was in the right place at the right time to touch home, before latching onto Dobbin's expertly-timed pass and finishing smartly to conclude the scoring.

Tait was thrilled with how his forward players performed.

"We would have liked to have claimed a clean sheet, so there are aspects to work on but the two boys who got hat-tricks today were clinical.

"I also thought Katia [Kouyate] was really good. He never got the goal he deserved, but for an Under-16 boy to come in, we were really pleased with his performance."

It's right to say it's a very young squad. As I've said Butterfield is well thought of in the year group below. Welch is playing a lot too and looks a big strong player (in the same same year group). Above that Harry Hagan, Onyango and Dobbin are not an awful lot older. Cannon is also that year group. All of them look quite bright to me.

Quirk is playing regularly with the Under 23's which is a really good sign.

So there's a lot of potential players. We've added Braithwaite who by all accounts has trained with the first team squad. There is more than enough quality, obviously you hope we will look to bring more in, but there's a lot to work with.

The key will be to start to get them some exposure in the 23's. We have moved quite a few players on (Evans, Charsley, Feeney, Gibson) etc. It looks like we are being more ruthless with players now and moving people on, which is the right thing to do. It will put pressure on Unsworth to utilise these younger players a bit more.

I actually really like Cannon. I think there's been a lot written about Dobbin (I put something up about 12-18 months ago on here) so won't repeat much of that, but Cannon impresses me too. By no means the same buzz around him as Dobbin, but his numbers are exceptional. He's scoring every 65-70 minutes at present which are elite numbers and very similar to what Ellis Simms was displaying. We have seen Simms step up and score goals this season too (albeit he needs some work to his all round game). probably true of Cannon too, who is a poacher as well but he has good movement and is a sharp finisher.

Lets see how close we can get to top spot. It is quite a young under 18's team so it's no small achievement.

It's right to say it's a very young squad. As I've said Butterfield is well thought of in the year group below. Welch is playing a lot too and looks a big strong player (in the same same year group). Above that Harry Hagan, Onyango and Dobbin are not an awful lot older. Cannon is also that year group. All of them look quite bright to me.

Quirk is playing regularly with the Under 23's which is a really good sign.

So there's a lot of potential players. We've added Braithwaite who by all accounts has trained with the first team squad. There is more than enough quality, obviously you hope we will look to bring more in, but there's a lot to work with.

The key will be to start to get them some exposure in the 23's. We have moved quite a few players on (Evans, Charsley, Feeney, Gibson) etc. It looks like we are being more ruthless with players now and moving people on, which is the right thing to do. It will put pressure on Unsworth to utilise these younger players a bit more.

I actually really like Cannon. I think there's been a lot written about Dobbin (I put something up about 12-18 months ago on here) so won't repeat much of that, but Cannon impresses me too. By no means the same buzz around him as Dobbin, but his numbers are exceptional. He's scoring every 65-70 minutes at present which are elite numbers and very similar to what Ellis Simms was displaying. We have seen Simms step up and score goals this season too (albeit he needs some work to his all round game). probably true of Cannon too, who is a poacher as well but he has good movement and is a sharp finisher.

Lets see how close we can get to top spot. It is quite a young under 18's team so it's no small achievement.

...cheers, I really like Dobbin, looks an uncomplicated but efficient footballer to me. Interesting what you say regarding Cannon, what’s his physicality (size, pace, speed)?

...cheers, I really like Dobbin, looks an uncomplicated but efficient footballer to me. Interesting what you say regarding Cannon, what’s his physicality (size, pace, speed)?

Dobbin is the stand out for sure, he as playing as a 10 in the under 18's as an under 16. Not many get to do that. He's also not the oldest in his year group either, so it was a great achievement. He has lots of ability, a clever player, has speed etc. My hope would be that he and Onyango sort of miss out the under 23 phase and train a fair bit with the first team. Dobbin is a bit Gordon esque really.

As for Cannon, I would say he's about 5 ft 10, quite lean (but well built) and hopefully if he keeps growing will be around 6 ft. He's quick, movement is good and plays on the shoulder for me. Reminds me a bit of Chris Long if you remember him, but his numbers are a lot better than Chris Longs were.

It's an odd one with Cannon, as I'm normally nervous with going too overboard with young poachers, as it's a big step up and you are looking for transferable skills. However his numbers are good for a lad who's only recently turned 17.

There has to be a whole club approach now. Simms has had a good season and has made improvements this season (still lots to go) but for me he should either be with the first team or on loan. That should open the space for Cannon to get game time.

Dobbin is the stand out for sure, he as playing as a 10 in the under 18's as an under 16. Not many get to do that. He's also not the oldest in his year group either, so it was a great achievement. He has lots of ability, a clever player, has speed etc. My hope would be that he and Onyango sort of miss out the under 23 phase and train a fair bit with the first team. Dobbin is a bit Gordon esque really.

As for Cannon, I would say he's about 5 ft 10, quite lean (but well built) and hopefully if he keeps growing will be around 6 ft. He's quick, movement is good and plays on the shoulder for me. Reminds me a bit of Chris Long if you remember him, but his numbers are a lot better than Chris Longs were.

It's an odd one with Cannon, as I'm normally nervous with going too overboard with young poachers, as it's a big step up and you are looking for transferable skills. However his numbers are good for a lad who's only recently turned 17.

There has to be a whole club approach now. Simms has had a good season and has made improvements this season (still lots to go) but for me he should either be with the first team or on loan. That should open the space for Cannon to get game time.

Speaking of Chris long, he was sent off today

Paul Tait was delighted with his side's "clinical" performance as his free-scoring Under-18s eased past Sunderland at the Academy of Light.

Hat-tricks from Tom Cannon and Lewis Dobbin helped Everton to a comprehensive 7-2 victory. The Under-18s are now level on points with second-placed Liverpool in the U18 Premier League (North) standings.

Sunderland’s Cole Kiernan cancelled out Sean McCallister's strike before Dobbin and Cannon opened their accounts for the afternoon just before the interval.

The home side grabbed one back just after the break to make it 3-2, but it was the Blues who took second-half ascendancy in style as Cannon and Dobbin each scored two further goals to complete their respective trebles.

"I was delighted," Tait told evertonfc.com.

"We knew where Sunderland are [at the bottom of the table] and we had to make sure the lads wouldn't be complacent at the start of the game. We had to treat them with respect and I thought they did that.

"They were tricky conditions, once again. It was almost like Derby last week, very windy and I thought we played some good football.

"It was really pleasing because we had some first-year scholars playing, so it was a very young team we put out as well."

The Blues made the breakthrough on 27 minutes when McCallister let fly from range and found the back of the net.

The lead didn't last long, though, and just five minutes later the home side were level as Kiernan dragged Sunderland back into the contest.

The power and pace from the Everton frontline was proving troublesome for the hosts' defence and Dobbin wasted little time in re-establishing the young Blues' lead. Just five minutes before the break the young winger cut in from the left and beautifully arrowed his right-footed strike past the Black Cats' keeper.

For the hosts, half-time couldn't come quick enough, however, the Blues were just finding their rhythm. In the dying stages of the first 45, the instrumental Katia Kouyate threaded an inch-perfect through-ball into the feet of Cannon, who completed the job with ease.

Sunderland’s McKenzie Diciccio struck two minutes after the restart to put the hosts within one goal.

However, it soon turned into the Cannon and Dobbin show as the pair both completed hat-tricks to the Blues out of sight.

Two quickfire Dobbin goals just shy of the hour mark gave the visitors a commanding 5-2 advantage.

And Cannon completed a stylish performance from the Blues late on. The forward was in the right place at the right time to touch home, before latching onto Dobbin's expertly-timed pass and finishing smartly to conclude the scoring.

Tait was thrilled with how his forward players performed.

"We would have liked to have claimed a clean sheet, so there are aspects to work on but the two boys who got hat-tricks today were clinical.

"I also thought Katia [Kouyate] was really good. He never got the goal he deserved, but for an Under-16 boy to come in, we were really pleased with his performance."
What’s the story on Katie ( kouyate) he seems very young, is he a local lad? and what is he’s position?

What’s the story on Katie ( kouyate) he seems very young, is he a local lad? and what is he’s position?
Tall and thin in the Onyango build but not as tall. He’s come off the bench at U18 before but this was his first start. From Tait‘s comments and the make up of the midfield I’m assuming he played on the right of three attackers, Dobbin left , Cannon centre.
The other intriguing person who was on the bench was the cannily named Thierry Small, first time hes appeared at u18 I think, he was part of the England set up at one time,but haven’t seen his there name recently. Hope he got on .

Tall and thin in the Onyango build but not as tall. He’s come off the bench at U18 before but this was his first start. From Tait‘s comments and the make up of the midfield I’m assuming he played on the right of three attackers, Dobbin left , Cannon centre.
The other intriguing person who was on the bench was the cannily named Thierry Small, first time hes appeared at u18 I think, he was part of the England set up at one time,but haven’t seen his there name recently. Hope he got on .
Small played last half hour

Thank you blueloon.

The lids kick off their first game in 20minutes away versus Wolves.

Everton U21s (to play Wolves U21s): Taudul, Kenny, Touray, Junior, Browning, Pennington, Kennedy, Grant, Hope, Lundstram, Long.

Everton U21s subs: Springthorpe, McLaughlin, Duffus, Jones, Ledson

met some folks today that play fantasy football and the one had Lundstram in her side..obviously told her his roots and got me thinking about the team then and my total belief Ledson would be the next big thing.. (mental note to check up on him and Liam Walsh)

those days we had 16 year old often playing in u21s... just don’t seem to see the age step up

really was a brilliant young team that and is a constant reminder to me these days about getting excited prematurely... most are having a very decent career from that lot