Everton Youth Teams Thread

...clearly very highly thought of given his age and progression already. He’s physically imposing, so could be very powerful when he grows into his frame. I’m sure the club are working on his quality in possession of the ball, if he can develop on that front he’s clearly full of promise.

The big positive for Onyango is that he doesn't fully utilise his height, or really utilise it at all at present. He is in the team because he's a good technical player. I think as he starts to utilise that better he could be a top player.

Also interesting to see clips of him with the men. He looked bigger than most. You'd imagine he'll grow at least a couple more inches, and is going to be a very imposing player.

Everton u18s end 1-1 with the leaders Man City u18s and will end the weekend staying 3rd, Dobbin give Everton the early lead before a pen made it 1-1, It was oddly Citys 1st league draw since mid April and ours 1st since early April, Everton now have a 2 week break from league action but then they play away to West Brom, before then though next week its Reading u18s v Everton u18s in the Q/F of the Premier League Cup

Assistant manager Keith Southern hailed Everton Under-18s’ resolute defensive display following a 1-1 draw with Premier League North table toppers Manchester City.

Lewis Dobbin converted Tom Cannon’s low cross to put Everton in front after seven minutes.

The Blues held out well for the majority of the first period but City forward Cole Palmer scored from the spot to draw the sides level on 31 minutes.

Everton continued to have the best of the chances after the break, with Sebastian Quirk, Cannon and Dobbin all creating goal-scoring opportunities.

“I thought it was a terrific game between two really good sides,” Southern told evertonfc.com.

“I thought we started the brighter and snatched the goal until they had a sustained 25-minute period of dominance. City have some really good players, they pressed us and we had to weather the storm.

“Second half, I thought we were outstanding. The lads were a credit to themselves and the Club and I was pleased with how they went about it.

“We changed it a bit at the break but their attitude was first class, their quality was excellent and, on balance, we probably could and maybe should have won it.”

Everton had the best chance of a very physical opening spell. Striker Cannon found some space in the box before driving his shot into a cluster of City defenders.

The visitors arrived as the team to beat at the league’s summit but it was the young Blues who found the opening goal.

Persistent pressure forced a mix-up in the City defence, leaving Cannon with acres of space. He had the time and awareness to pick out Dobbin, who slid the ball home.

Despite the Blues’ early advantage, City gradually started to find their feet, the hosts relying on the woodwork to repel Alex Robertson’s acrobatic volley.

The equaliser arrived when Palmer was fouled in the box and picked himself up to convert from the spot.

Goalkeeper Zan-Luk Leban stayed on his feet to deny Palmer from close range before Tyler Onyango flung himself at the feet of the City forward to keep the scores level.

“[Centre-half] Ryan Astley came back into the group and helped and I thought Leban was great on only his second game for the Club," said Southern.

“The other lads were so reliable and determined to come away at least with a point.

“I thought it was a great team effort and I am really pleased with the way they performed today.”

After a tight and congested opening 45 minutes, the second half started in more open fashion. Free-flowing football from the start unlocked City and Quirk thought he had put the Blues ahead.

Joshua Hosie got the Blues on the front foot, driving into the centre of the pitch. Hosie’s subsequent pass sent away Dobbin, whose cross found an onrushing Quirk.

To Everton's dismay, however, the linesman on the near side judged the ball did not cross the line.

In a crazy 15-minute spell, Everton were firmly on top.

Dobbin drove down the right before cutting onto his favoured left foot but could not get his shot away before Cannon watched a low effort drift agonisingly wide.

As the game reached it closing stages, Leban was on hand once again to deny a rare City attack. He got down well to deny Palmer and then James McAtee at the second attempt.

Also, maybe the coaches are not good enough, Antony Evans has a lot going for him, technically very good, good passer and link up man, excellent free kicks and corners, doesn’t seem to believe in himself, maybe he should push himself more, or the coaches are not pushing him enough, same as in the U18’s, they don’t seem to have any drive or energy about them for the whole game, play in patches then ease off. I think Brands will liven up or change the whole system at the Acadamy in the summer with some sweeping changes, something needs altering there, too easy going, and that applies to the first team squad even more so. They might have to start earning their wages from next summer, wouldn’t that be a nice change, and after that, have a good look at the boardroom, plenty to alter and get rid of there.

Everytime I see him in these vids he impresses. Clever touches like the one mentioned and good vision, great touch, hits great free kicks etc. Wonder what it is that seems to be holding him back from realising his potential.

Was working the game tonight, thought he grew into the game well, looks to be able to pick out a pass which is promising. Was a soft pen given against him imo. Seems big for his age too.
Adeniran was the standout though.
In what manner? Do you work their games regularly?

I think it was a good idea to play Astley in u18 game today rather than make him sub in u23. It guaranteed him 90 minutes and in his preferred position. He has recently been at right back a lot which is good for all round development I suppose but he is clearly better suited in the middle. If Feeney gets released and Gibson leaves/goes out on loan/gets promoted to first team squad I can see Branthwaite and Astley being out CBs in u23 next season. I think they will compliment each other. Astley appears more slight and quicker and Branthwaite a powerful unit. From what I've read they are both good on the ball.