Everton Youth Teams Thread

We are pretty poo against them at any level. The Under-23s did beat them 2-0 at Analfield last season though. It can be done.
Even winning that game took time as we had lost previous 5 Derbys,and drew 1 before the win
while the girls won a league game and cup game in the space of 2 weeks in december,but that took 6 years to to win one

Remember the game tomorrow,As said no idea why its so early lol,does not seem like it has any coverage on teams websites etc-at minute anyway

Sunday Everton u23s began there Premier League Cup campaign away to Fulham with an 11am start, i dont remember the u23s starting this early before and not sure why its early-ive probably totally missed something going on down there.

Keith Southern felt the scoreline was tough on Everton Under-18s after they fell to a 6-1 Merseyside derby loss at USM Finch Farm.

The young Blues went into Saturday’s Premier League (North) clash in fine form, having won three on the spin, and took the lead through England Under-17 international Tyler Onyango.

But two late first-half strikes saw Liverpool edge ahead before the visitors hit four more in the second half.

"When you see the scoreline it would suggest we were pummelled from pillar to post, but it wasn't like that,” said Everton Under-18s assistant manager Southern. “For 40 minutes, I thought we are by far the better team and could have been two or three goals ahead.

"In the second half, we asked the players to come out and show the same spirit as they did in the first but we never really did that. I thought we crumbled a little bit and we didn't do the basics well enough to stay in the game and eventually go on a create opportunities to win it.

"It is a learning curve for our young lads. Setbacks happen and we have to be a little bit more resilient in certain areas of the pitch, but we will be better for the experience, I am sure."

Onyango celebrated his England Under-17s call up in the best possible way with an eighth-minute opener. After a teasing ball into the box struck the post, Onyango was in the right place at the right time to slide the ball home.

Everton continued to carve out chances, this time the post coming to the away side's rescue after Thomas Cannon's sweetly-struck volley. Then, just minutes later, Cannon was in the thick of it again, heading over from Reece Hughes' free-kick.

With just minutes left of the first-half, those missed opportunities came back to bite the home side as Liverpool took the lead and never looked back.

The international break means Everton are without a game next weekend, and Southern hopes the time off will give the squad time to reflect ahead of their trip to Wolves on Saturday 19 October.

“It is a chance to re-group. We have some lads on international duty, which is great for them.

"It is a development programme, we aim to improve this side.

"We will analyse this performance, looking at the positives and how we can get better, looking for a response the next time we play."

...i’d like us to have some coaches who are not ex-players. Indeed, i’d like us to have most coaches who are not ex-players.

Surely we should employ the best development coaches, not ex-players who are looking for a job. We need to be professional, not romantic.
Said the same for years jobs fir the boys. I wouldn’t say overall that Liverpool have better coaches. As we have probably done better than them at under 18 & 23 over the last 4/5 years. They just seem to get the better in Derby’s

My nephew who’s dad is a big red. Had a chance to go to city or Liverpool’s academy. When he was 6. I said from day one send him to city, he will get the best coaching, even if he doesn’t make it with them, he will probably improve as a player at city more than any other academy. He picked Liverpool and got dropped 2 years later. Still only 11 so plenty of time if he’s good enough.

I think a bit of perspective is needed, which is not easy given we’ve just been thrashed by the RS. I’ve said a number of times on here how well I think Paul Tait and his coaches are doing with the u18s, and for me one game hasn’t changed that view. These guys are not brilliant, astute coaches who are moving rapidly up the ladder to become PL level coaches, what they do best is work with 16 year old kids who are training full time for the first time and develop their skills and maybe just as important their overall attitude to life. We are regularly praised by other managers who get our kids on loan for the way they’ve been taught the game, the attitudes they bring , etc. That’s all part of the coaches job.
At u18s they’re still learning the game, hence you can score 10 one week and have 6 put past you the next. Tait has in many ways a harder job than Unsworth, he’s brought in a whole bunch of new youngsters to replace those who’ve moved on , only Hughes from yesterday’s starters featured regularly at u18 last season, our U23s by contrast are mainly the ones who won PL2 last season.
And another point I’ve often said, we had 8 , 16 year olds in our starting line up that’s pretty impressive at this level where even 2or3 kids with experience make a difference, I’m pretty happy with the overall start the u18s have made.

Hopefully getting smashed will give the players a bit of a lesson and improve their mental toughness.

Just like the first team, showing who you are in the face of adversity is key.

The Q/F Game will be played on Wed October 9th, kick-off 7pm.
Blackburn are the holders after beating Burnley 2-0 and have also won this Comp more than any other team,we have won it 7 times
Rovers have agreed to a request from Everton to postpone next week's Lancashire FA Senior Cup clash between the two teams.
The quarter-final tie, which was due to be played at the LFA County Ground in Leyland on Wednesday October 9th, has been called off due to international call-ups.

Date was only said on wednesday,then called off Late on Friday lol