Everton Youth Teams Thread

....interested in folks opinion of Gordon’s best position.
Unsworth says he’s aNo9 , Gordon says he prefers 10 . Someone , I think Unsworth , then said No10 s don’t need to be at the centre setting up attacks , which I guess he meant what we used to think of as a 10 like Pele was , a sharp attacker who scored and assisted with goals. It makes sense to get him used to playing across all three front positions as that may be his role from the bench initially , coming on for Iwobi/ Kean/ Richarlison , not good enough yet to start ahead of any of them, but hopefully will get the opportunity to play alongside them this season from the bench.

Unsworth says he’s aNo9 , Gordon says he prefers 10 . Someone , I think Unsworth , then said No10 s don’t need to be at the centre setting up attacks , which I guess he meant what we used to think of as a 10 like Pele was , a sharp attacker who scored and assisted with goals. It makes sense to get him used to playing across all three front positions as that may be his role from the bench initially , coming on for Iwobi/ Kean/ Richarlison , not good enough yet to start ahead of any of them, but hopefully will get the opportunity to play alongside them this season from the bench.

...he’ll need to convince Silva that he’s ready for the step-up, and that’ll depend lots on how he’s doing in first team training.

The Unsworth view has to be taken on board, although he also said Dowell was a no10 and that hasn’t truly worked out. A no9 would require good back to goal technique, are you seeing much evidence of that with Gordon?

...he’ll need to convince Silva that he’s ready for the step-up, and that’ll depend lots on how he’s doing in first team training.

The Unsworth view has to be taken on board, although he also said Dowell was a no10 and that hasn’t truly worked out. A no9 would require good back to goal technique, are you seeing much evidence of that with Gordon?
Well you know my views on Unsworth and Gordon mate, which is that only 5 starts last season in the league held him back , just my view. No , I don’t think Gordon has a good back to goal technique. He can skillfully turn people if he’s given the ball with his back to goal but he’s not a target man or hold up man like say DCL. His strengths include his pace, ability to run at defenders , beat a man and keep his composure when in on goal ,not sure why Unsworth seems him as a no 9 , I think it’s cos he’s got explosive pace and can finish well, not bad attributes for a 9.

Last edited:
Well you know my views on Unsworth and Gordon mate, which is that only 5 starts last season in the league held him back , just my view. No , I don’t think Gordon has a good back to goal technique. He can skillfully turn people if he’s given the ball with his back to goal but he’s not a target man or hold up man like say DCL. His strengths include his pace, ability to run at defenders , beat a man and keep his composure when in on goal ,not sure why Unsworth seems him as a no 9 , I think it’s cos he’s got explosive pace and can finish well, not bad attributes for a 9.

To be fair he's only played a couple of times as central striker so far I think. If he can develop other attributes playing there it will obviously benefit him and us.

I've not seen the lad as much as many of our younger players before (change of job) but always liked Gordon from what I saw of him (and said as much on here). To answer your question I think he's a number 10 in how he plays. He seems to have good positional awareness, dribbling ability and can see a pass. However the last few times I've seen him he really looks quite natural playing on the shoulder and running into channels. Looks a cool finisher too. So will be interesting to see if if continues ti flourish as a 9.

He's also bulked out a fair bit this season, looks bigger and stronger than before where he looked a very slight lad.

He looks very promising but you always have to urge caution.I remember 3 years ago seeing Anthony Evans and was incredibly wowed by him. He kept growing and to me seemed to lose control of his body in how to use it, most confidence and has really stalled as a player. It can happen. Likewise Dowell just hasn't really kicked on as much as people might have hoped, so there's still a long way to go for Gordon.

Lewis Dobbin and Onyango started as subs for England u17s v Poland in the Syrenka Cup final
Game here if they do come on,england were 2 up in 1st 10mins,but just conceeded few mins ago,keeper probably should do better,make that 2-2 on 37mins

Lewis Dobbin and Onyango started as subs for England u17s v Poland in the Syrenka Cup final
Game here if they do come on,england were 2 up in 1st 10mins,but just conceeded few mins ago,keeper probably should do better,make that 2-2 on 37mins

Dobbin came on final 10mins, Onyango stayed sub,and game went right to pens at the final whistle
Dobbin scored the 1st England pen sending keeper wrong way,England win shoot out 3-1 after 4 pens each

Earlier this summer, Everton's Academy promoted its latest batch of scholars - young players who have come up through the ranks and made the grade to sign their first ever full-time agreements with the Blues.
The group immediately linked up with the Club's Under-18s and have helped Paul Tait's side collect six points from their opening three games of the campaign

Meet them here

Earlier this summer, Everton's Academy promoted its latest batch of scholars - young players who have come up through the ranks and made the grade to sign their first ever full-time agreements with the Blues.
The group immediately linked up with the Club's Under-18s and have helped Paul Tait's side collect six points from their opening three games of the campaign

Meet them here
Question for you is Tom cannon English? As he tweeted today about scoring 2 goals and a good win. Is that for a England youth side? or maybe a friendly?

Question for you is Tom cannon English? As he tweeted today about scoring 2 goals and a good win. Is that for a England youth side? or maybe a friendly?
Although English he wasn’t and hasn’t been in any recent England u16/17 squads. He scored two goals for the u18s the other week when they beat WBA 7-3, may have been that. Silva did say they were going to arrange a behind closed doors match in the break to help some 1st teamers with their fitness, so possibly our u18s beat the 1st team 2-0 and young Tom scored both and should be in the first team .....or not :)

I did think he meant his goals for Everton as his tweet is above the goals [in tweet below],but with him saying good win Yesterday and 2 goals,i was not sure lol as that Everton game was over 2 weeks ago