Everton Youth Teams Thread

Joe Hilton the only real surprise there, reports on his loan were quite promising all be it at a low level, I expected him to be retained and loaned out to a higher placed club for next season.

There's no real need in multiple keepers at that level. Joao is 1st choice and even if we tried selling Hilton we'd get absolute buttons for him.

There's no real need in multiple keepers at that level. Joao is 1st choice and even if we tried selling Hilton we'd get absolute buttons for him.
I must admit I was surprised to see Hilton going, Hewelt and Renshaw were not a surprise but losing three GKs in one go is unusual. The club has said that Virginia is too good at this level so will either go out on loan or be with the first team, so if he does go on loan there aren’t many young GKs left. Nicholas Hansen was doing well at u18 but disappeared, presumably injured, leaving Tryer as the main u18 GK, both are comparatively inexperienced for U23s . Maybe they plan to train Virginia with the first team , play him at U23s , but I think I’d rather see him on loan at a Championship club / League 1 .

I must admit I was surprised to see Hilton going, Hewelt and Renshaw were not a surprise but losing three GKs in one go is unusual. The club has said that Virginia is too good at this level so will either go out on loan or be with the first team, so if he does go on loan there aren’t many young GKs left. Nicholas Hansen was doing well at u18 but disappeared, presumably injured, leaving Tryer as the main u18 GK, both are comparatively inexperienced for U23s . Maybe they plan to train Virginia with the first team , play him at U23s , but I think I’d rather see him on loan at a Championship club / League 1 .

I think Virginia will be 3rd choice with 1st team and play u23 where possible. They've offered Hansen a contract so presumably he will be back up. I'm surprised with Hilton myself but he must not have been deemed good enough. It looks like they are trying to thin down the squad a little but still give people a fair chance.

It’s one of those things I’m not even fussed if we have a bad keeper in nets for the U23 as it’s a position I don’t think the first team really need if that makes sense?

Sure we might lose games because of him but meh, who cares.

It’s one of those things I’m not even fussed if we have a bad keeper in nets for the U23 as it’s a position I don’t think the first team really need if that makes sense?

Sure we might lose games because of him but meh, who cares.

....I can’t think of a keeper who has come through the Academy and played 50 first team games. Answering my own question, perhaps Andy Rankin. It’s a strange position from that perspective.

....I can’t think of a keeper who has come through the Academy and played 50 first team games. Answering my own question, perhaps Andy Rankin. It’s a strange position from that perspective.

It’s just a position you have to fill for a game. I’m not arsed if they put a training dummy in nets as long as the outfield players progress.

It’s just a position you have to fill for a game. I’m not arsed if they put a training dummy in nets as long as the outfield players progress.

...yes, we need to fulfill fixtures but I was just pointing out how unusual it is for an Academy keeper to come through. I can remember Geoff Barnett, but he only played 10 games before moving to Arsenal. Jason Kearton, Drew Brand et al, but I can only recall Andy Rankin of any significance.

...yes, we need to fulfill fixtures but I was just pointing out how unusual it is for an Academy keeper to come through. I can remember Geoff Barnett, but he only played 10 games before moving to Arsenal. Jason Kearton, Drew Brand et al, but I can only recall Andy Rankin of any significance.

Not just Everton either eggs, it happens throughout the top flight that not many produce top keepers.

I find it quite disappointing tbh, that we haven't produced a top quality home grown keeper in my time supporting Everton

What's the matter with kids, being a goalie is boss, chance to jump around in mud and your mum and dad can't kick off on you!!!