Everton Youth Teams Thread

Is there going to be a clear out of the under-23s at the end of the season? Some like Broadhead seem to have been around a long time. Nice to see we have some exciting attacking talent coming through the under-18s.
Well, yes, it's been an amazing season for Simms. BUT the usual caveats apply:
  • it's a massive jump from U18 to U23
  • you are less likely to be able to bully opposing players with your physique
  • it is more of a team than an individual game (I don't know if there are any regular U18 watchers who would like to comment on his team versus individual game - apart from the occasional U23 where he hasn't done that much, I haven't really seen anything apart from the goals)
Not trying to be negative about him, just that there are a lot of hurdles to overcome, especially for a forward and I am just as interested in the progression of Ryan Astley, Kyle John and Anthony Gordon (especially since historically and wrongly I tend to think the youth team full-backs are going to make it).

Charsley, Sambou, Broadhead (shame), Galloway and Lavery will all be freeing up space. I'd like to think Charsley and Broadhead will have decent careers.

Cheers for that, . It looks good in that 7 of the starters , 10 of squad, will be with us next season.
Any comments about the Schoolboys who played, Cannon and Onyango , both scorers? It’s always nice to see younger players being given an opportunity , think that’s four, maybe five schoolboys who’ve played up, including the highly rated Lewis Dobbin who’s currently injured.
Onyango looks a big lad gets about the pitch really well

Well, yes, it's been an amazing season for Simms. BUT the usual caveats apply:
  • it's a massive jump from U18 to U23
  • you are less likely to be able to bully opposing players with your physique
  • it is more of a team than an individual game (I don't know if there are any regular U18 watchers who would like to comment on his team versus individual game - apart from the occasional U23 where he hasn't done that much, I haven't really seen anything apart from the goals)
Not trying to be negative about him, just that there are a lot of hurdles to overcome, especially for a forward and I am just as interested in the progression of Ryan Astley, Kyle John and Anthony Gordon (especially since historically and wrongly I tend to think the youth team full-backs are going to make it).
I actually think Simms has been a bit hard done by on GOT since someone unwisely decided he needed his own thread. Most of us who watched him in his few games at U23s level poured a large measure of common sense on the more outrageous suggestions in that thread , like give him a run in the first team . As you have highlighted, Gordon and Astley have shown more promise but even they are far from first team material yet.

But let me swing it back in favour of Simms. Irrespective of his excellent use of his size against often puny defenders, he has rattled them in with both right and left foot from all angles . He has pace, though it’s hard to tell how much when against 18 year olds. While he never really made his mark at U23s , I think he scored 3 goals , he really didn’t get that many minutes. If you take out Sambou’s penalties, I suspect his goals/min is right up there with Sambou and Hornby neither of whom have scored a lot of goals this season . But I can’t recall any u18 player at any club in recent years scoring so many goals. Similarly, it’s unusual for u18 players to play a complete season without any injury or dip in form , and Simms has been remarkably consistent in his goalscoring all through this season. Probably only Carroll at u18s has shown the same level of consistency all season.

They often mention that Academy players have a specific plan to follow and goals to achieve, well you’d have to say our Academy staff and Simms have worked really hard to achieve his goals this season . We haven’t had a decent, regular goalscorer at U21/23s for years so I’m looking forward to seeing how he progresses next season and the season after, for it may take another two years before we can assess how good he is.

Remainder its Everton u23s last game of the league season tomorrow 7pm ko,at west hams Ground [London stadium],Game does not look like its been shown via west hams page etc as they dont even mention it at the minute if at all,west ham with who there boss is leaving for america after this game need to win to have any chance of avoiding relegation while hoping spurs fail to beat derby at home,west ham have the better GD -[spurs are 2 points above west ham at the min]

Because they have a good side??
Partly. They did finish above our lads in the U18 league. But they also had a very easy run. Up until they played City in the final they hadn't played a single team from either of the top divisions, North or South. If I'm not mistaken, I think we played a top team in every single round.

So, yes they are a good team and have a couple of very good players, but they also had a lot of good fortune with the draw.