Everton Youth Teams Thread

Had a listen to the Academy Watch podcast on the Blue Room extra - which is a great listen always by the way - and the glowing praise for Ryan Astley is really exciting. "A young John Stones" was the comp. Our U18s could potentially produce a few players for the first team it seems and Astley appears to be the shining start.
I nailed my colours firmly to the Astley mast last season, best young defender we’ve had come through in years. The last time I watched him was an U23s stream and I commented then that his style and composure is reminiscent of a young Stones , Astley was playing right back at the time. It’s the way he moves the ball casually but easily out of tight situations which draws the comparison. Unlike Stones though he will rarely venture far past the half way line, he prefers to play the ball forward rather than carry it a long way. As a result his passing is pretty accurate, with a decent long range pass . Hopefully he’ll continue to develop as a CB, but he’s a decent defensive right back , who sparks attacks from his passes rather than trying to beat a man and run down the wing.

...yep, they were talking about the Man City ‘model’ on the radio last night.

Strangely, the likes of Holgate isn’t an Acadamy player as such, but buying promising youngsters certainly seems a worthwhile strategy. Stones, Holgate, DCL and Lookman are all good investments that more than compensate for the likes of Galloway, Tarashej etc.
If you get a John Stones for 2/3 m and sell him for 50m every 3/4 yrs it’s good buisness and allows you the opportunity to take a gamble on a few others

I know he didn't do so well at Wigan but I think Connolly might be worth keeping if he comes back as a squad player down to the number of positions he covers. These youngsters don't always have to be starters they can be squad players on lower wages who are less likely to rock the boat if not starting games.
If you’re not playing at 21 and not rocking the boat , to me that says a lot about ambition and attitude
A young player should prefer to play regularly for a championship club on 15k a week than sit on the bench of a PL club for 30k

Everton u18s team that played Blackburn

Tyler, Richards, Richards, Iversen, Collins, Zuk, Anderson, Hunt, Carroll, Hughes, Simms, Adedoyin,
Subs Barrett, Warren, Dobbin, Quirk, Stanley

Final score 3-0 - Richards 9, Adedoyin 59,84 - [if right]

This result puts us back top by 1 point with Liverpool playing stoke later,a draw in that game with keep Everton top

Can't decide if you're joking or if this is a serious post. Has he got Chinese ancestry?

Chinese window is open a bit longer isn't it?

I remember reading on his player profile on the OS a few years back that he is eligible to play for China and England, a move there could be a great career move for him, loads of cash and the possibility of playing international football.

I remember reading on his player profile on the OS a few years back that he is eligible to play for China and England, a move there could be a great career move for him, loads of cash and the possibility of playing international football.
Just looked at Transfermarket which is pretty good for useless information. Says he could qualify for China via his grandfather.

Everton u18s team that played Blackburn

Tyler, Richards, Richards, Iversen, Collins, Zuk, Anderson, Hunt, Carroll, Hughes, Simms, Adedoyin,
Subs Barrett, Warren, Dobbin, Quirk, Stanley

Final score 3-0 - Richards 9, Adedoyin 59,84 - [if right]

This result puts us back top by 1 point with Liverpool playing stoke later,a draw in that game with keep Everton top
Ended 4-0, Dobbin in injury time. if right,for the 2nd time this season,scores for Blackburn game have been all over the place lol

Plus we stay top as Liverpools game failed a pitch inspection

I nailed my colours firmly to the Astley mast last season, best young defender we’ve had come through in years. The last time I watched him was an U23s stream and I commented then that his style and composure is reminiscent of a young Stones , Astley was playing right back at the time. It’s the way he moves the ball casually but easily out of tight situations which draws the comparison. Unlike Stones though he will rarely venture far past the half way line, he prefers to play the ball forward rather than carry it a long way. As a result his passing is pretty accurate, with a decent long range pass . Hopefully he’ll continue to develop as a CB, but he’s a decent defensive right back , who sparks attacks from his passes rather than trying to beat a man and run down the wing.

He sounds exactly what we need at Centre back right now...hopefully he comes through and reaches the same or higher level compared to stones.

Hows his pace?

Perhaps in a few years time we could see him partnering a colossus like Mina which could have the makings of a good combo if hes like Stones.

If you get a John Stones for 2/3 m and sell him for 50m every 3/4 yrs it’s good buisness and allows you the opportunity to take a gamble on a few others

Really need to be holding onto these type of players...build something around the stars of today and tomorrow.

He sounds exactly what we need at Centre back right now...hopefully he comes through and reaches the same or higher level compared to stones.

Hows his pace?

Perhaps in a few years time we could see him partnering a colossus like Mina which could have the makings of a good combo if hes like Stones.

Really need to be holding onto these type of players...build something around the stars of today and tomorrow.
Well Astley ‘s far from getting into our first team at CB yet. Always hard to tell their pace at this level, doesn’t appear to have the blistering pace of an attacking full back , he’s more defensive minded.

If you’re not playing at 21 and not rocking the boat , to me that says a lot about ambition and attitude
A young player should prefer to play regularly for a championship club on 15k a week than sit on the bench of a PL club for 30k

I do agree with that in part but not everyone can play every week. There were times when Hibbert and Osman weren't regulars and they accepted and worked hard to get back in. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I don't want players who are happy to sit on the bench but a player with club at heart is maybe going to be more understanding. I actually liked Tosun reaction few weeks ago when he was annoyed that all 3 subs had been used and he was disappointed not to be getting on. Or when Rooney used to sulk when he was getting withdrawn!

Well Astley ‘s far from getting into our first team at CB yet. Always hard to tell their pace at this level, doesn’t appear to have the blistering pace of an attacking full back , he’s more defensive minded.

Sure he'll be doing well to make an appearance in the next 3 seasons.