Everton Youth Teams Thread

I've just watched the whole game back focusing on Kieran's performance.

He had 83 touches during the game.

He attempted 66 passes with a 91% completion ratio. There was a high percentage of forward passes and a number of sweeping long range passes to the wing where he switched play effectively. But the most noticeable thing was how quickly he moved the ball on.

He made 9 crosses during the game (mostly from set pieces) and overall created 6 chances for his team mates.

He made 4 interceptions and 5 tackles during the game.

He only carried the ball 3 times which was disappointing. He lost the ball once and was fouled the other 2 times, one of which resulted in the first goal.

He also only had 1 shot on goal and we've all seen the result of that.

Without the ball I thought he worked very hard. He closed down space well when the opposition were in possession, and covered for both full backs when they went forward. He also worked hard making himself available to pass to when the ball went out to either full back giving them an outlet if they couldn't move the ball forward.

Overall, it was a very high quality but understated performance by Dowell's standards. I believe the stats prove that he was heavily involved in the game, but I thought he played far too deep for my liking. Whilst this was key to our keeping possession and moving it on quickly, he didn't get forward anywhere near enough for a player of his quality, and when he did we saw what happened.

Whilst I'd like to see us try him in a deeper role, I'd prefer to see him play alongside a proper DM with him given more licence to get forward in support of the forwards. Not as a number 10, but more box to box. It's probably too much of a risk to start him there in league games at the moment and, barring another injury crisis, I can't see Silva doing that. But I'd like to see him introduced from the bench when we're in control of games and see how he does. We have a very talented lad here and we need to at least try and integrate him into the team if possible.
I mentioned a few months ago, about him becoming a left sided central midfielder in a 3. Which is probably Silva preferred formation with out a natural number 10.

Obviously now he has to play siggurdsson as a 10 and build his team accordingly. Dowell would still have a lot to learn playing that role, maybe another loan to a top championship side, that’s challenging and there’s pressure every week.

Like you say to play that Role the central player would need to be a very strong player, especially defensively.

I mentioned a few months ago, about him becoming a left sided central midfielder in a 3. Which is probably Silva preferred formation with out a natural number 10.

Obviously now he has to play siggurdsson as a 10 and build his team accordingly. Dowell would still have a lot to learn playing that role, maybe another loan to a top championship side, that’s challenging and there’s pressure every week.

Like you say to play that Role the central player would need to be a very strong player, especially defensively.

...he came through the ranks as a right sided midfielder, obviously because of the advantage he has cutting in on his left.

Some of the most talented lads seem to believe in the hype around them
How many next big things fail to make it
To add to the list there’s Oliver Burke and Ravel Morrison
Takes a lot more than talent to make a professional footballer

I wouldn't give up on Burke just yet, he's still recovering from being in a Pulis team and has time on his side.

A remainder that League leaders Everton u18s with 6 wins/1 draw from 7 games play home to 2nd bottom Newcastle with a 1pm ko saturday,
while on monday the current top 2 in the u23s league -Everton the leaders off course play away to Arsenal with a 7pm ko

so they're blaming the academy for our defenders not being able to defend including holgate who came through the barnsley academy?
It’s just opinion , which is fair enough, I disagree with it.There’s a trend of writing long articles, throw in a few statistics and now believe youre 100 % right and you’re writing facts. So he quotes Garbut and Galloway as being examples of our failures but they were brought in, but Stones who was also brought in and left us touted as “ the best young defender in Europe” we apparently had little to do with his development. A poor mistake from Kenny , Robinson being rinsed by international class attackers and suddenly our academy is crap . Robinson’s weakness as a defender has been highlighted on this thread time and time again , we can see it , his coaches can undoubtedly see it , fixing it to allow him to play at PL level just may not be possible.
I guess it’s similar to judging schools, do you just look at good results coming out of say richer schools or try to measure “ value added” to poorer pupils e.g. Kenny’s not the fastest, biggest , strongest full back around yet we’ve managed to develop him into someone who’s highly likely to have a career as a defender at PL level.

It’s just opinion , which is fair enough, I disagree with it.There’s a trend of writing long articles, throw in a few statistics and now believe youre 100 % right and you’re writing facts. So he quotes Garbut and Galloway as being examples of our failures but they were brought in, but Stones who was also brought in and left us touted as “ the best young defender in Europe” we apparently had little to do with his development. A poor mistake from Kenny , Robinson being rinsed by international class attackers and suddenly our academy is crap . Robinson’s weakness as a defender has been highlighted on this thread time and time again , we can see it , his coaches can undoubtedly see it , fixing it to allow him to play at PL level just may not be possible.
I guess it’s similar to judging schools, do you just look at good results coming out of say richer schools or try to measure “ value added” to poorer pupils e.g. Kenny’s not the fastest, biggest , strongest full back around yet we’ve managed to develop him into someone who’s highly likely to have a career as a defender at PL level.

At open events etc my school go on about this all the time, and the new head seems to be more interested in this than actual results. We are a private school in Surrey, but we are not exclusive academically - ie we take on less able pupils as well as the highly intelligent/well educated ones (I forget the proper term).

On topic: I agree the article isn't great. Picking out two random incidents out of hours of playing time throwing in some 'synchronicity' rubbish. Tbh I think Kenny gets harshly done by for that goal. He was put in a bad position by the way we lost the ball, and whilst he may have made a mistake initially he recovered well. If the scorer had shot when Kenny dived in it would have been a great block - the kind Jags used to get lauded for...

Definitely food for thought for Brands
Yeah. 21 year old defenders need to learn more about defending shocker.

Imagine getting torn one by Douglas Costa and Cuadradro. Disgraceful.

The problem is, you don't really learn anything until you actually come up against this quality of player face to face. Just like what you learn at school in no way prepares you for the real world.

That RBM article could very well have been written by any one of a dozen or more regular GOT posters.lol

At open events etc my school go on about this all the time, and the new head seems to be more interested in this than actual results. We are a private school in Surrey, but we are not exclusive academically - ie we take on less able pupils as well as the highly intelligent/well educated ones (I forget the proper term).

On topic: I agree the article isn't great. Picking out two random incidents out of hours of playing time throwing in some 'synchronicity' rubbish. Tbh I think Kenny gets harshly done by for that goal. He was put in a bad position by the way we lost the ball, and whilst he may have made a mistake initially he recovered well. If the scorer had shot when Kenny dived in it would have been a great block - the kind Jags used to get lauded for...

also if pickford saved the shot, which imo he should have done, nobody would be bringing it up as much. I mean look at the fraud van dijk across the park, made a shocking mistake in the city game, ameteur defending but because mahrez blew the ball over the bar nobody has mentioned it. Instead he's still being worngly labelled as this world class super defender. How different would his reputation have been if mahrez won the game from the pen? Players make mistakes, but pundits and analsysist go way over the top with criticisms sometimes based on one sole event.

Another amateur article really. Like a lot of the everton podcasts, it's basically people who interviewed themselves in the bath, "in my opinion hes a top top top top player, he just needs to get his expected goals up and we will have a top top top forward on our hands".
No one cares mate.

Not the hospital school?