EVERTON YOUTH TEAM 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan ball

Player Valuation: £70m
Have you ever wondered whatever happened to some of the players that reached the FA youth final in 2002 that lost to Aston Villa over two legs.
The list of players listed below played in the second leg

Andy Pettinger playing for Brigg Town in Lincolnshire
Brian Moogan unknown
Martin Crowder playing for Runcorn Linnets
Stephen Shumacher playing for Fleetwood Town
Craig Garside playing for Bangor City
Alan Moogan In 2004, injury cut short his professional career and he began coaching at the Everton Academy, where he took charge of the U-11s for two seasons before returning to LFC in 2009. He was recently named International Academy program manager, where he is responsible for the implementation and development of existing and new coaching programmes that are taught in Liverpool’s international courses.
Scott Brown playing for Grimsby Town
Steven Beck Now football agent
Michael Symes playing for Burton Albion
Wayne Rooney playing for Manchester United
David Carney playing for Newcastle Jets Australia
Robert southern unknown
Alex Cole I believe he died in a tragic car accident
Franklyn Colbeck Unknown
Damon Martland unknown

Have you ever wondered whatever happened to some of the players that reached the FA youth final in 2002 that lost to Aston Villa over two legs.

Brian Moogan unknown
Alan Moogan In 2004, injury cut short his professional career and he began coaching at the Everton Academy, where he took charge of the U-11s for two seasons before returning to LFC in 2009. He was recently named International Academy program manager, where he is responsible for the implementation and development of existing and new coaching programmes that are taught in Liverpool’s international courses.
Robert southern unknown
Franklyn Colbeck Unknown
Damon Martland unknown

Shows how difficult it is for home grown talent to make it in the game, especially in the Premiership and now the Championship too. The effect of too many imported players.

Very interesting, I wonder if it's because of the pressures of the premier league that most of the lads don't make it or they're just not good enough.
I bet there's been a few who could of made it but didn't get a chance

FA Youth Cup is given importance over the League at most clubs, at least is has been for a good while now.

It's a similar story for the majority of youth cup or League winning teams, most fade away into obscurity, occasionally you'll have a group of talented players born in the same year.

The club is definitely getting better at giving youth players the foundations to go and forge a career in the football league though.

Within 6 months of that tournament he was starting for England.

I have never seen a player anywhere near as good as Rooney was at 16.

Just to illustrate it look at this goal from the UEFA U17 tournament that year.

He looks awesome.

And lest we forget the first tournament game for England against France (world champions at the time)

Brian Moogan unknown
Robert southern unknown
Franklyn Colbeck Unknown
Damon Martland unknown

.....Brian and Alan Moogan are cousins, Brian was still playing decent armature local footy in recent seasons. I saw him a few times in Liverpool Sunday Premier League, think he also played a fair bit for Marine on a Saturday. Robert Southern is Keith Southern's brother if I recall correctly, strapping Centre Back I presume he went back to his native Newcastle.

Good update, an analysis of the fine team that won the cup with Osman et al would be interesting. You often get a side with a superstar like Rooney, Gascoigne etc who virtually take the team through single handidly, or one like that Osman team where quite a few make a living out of the game. Interesting.

Luke Moore played for Villa and scored twice against us, I thought he was going to go on and be one of England's best centre forwards

Status
Not open for further replies.