Everton vs. Leicester: A sober reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prevenger17

Great turn of pace, an eye for goal...
I'm doing some write ups for the Evertonian and Irish Facebook page, I'm going to plonk them on here too. Move it to a thread if it is ground which has already been covered. Which it is.

Everton were available at 200/1 to get relegated at the start of the season, and Tim Howard is playing like a man who put his house on it. On the face of it, a battling draw against the titans of Leicester was as predictable as it was infuriating, leaving Everton fans wondering if they should reach for their “Martinez Out” sign or a map. Ah, there’s Huddersfield.

With Barry out of the equation, identifying the next scapegoat was easy. Step forward Massimo Taibi, who appears to have killed Tim Howard and is now wearing his skin like a suit. The real Howard made the last saves he’d ever make against Belgium in the World Cup. It all boils down to simple errors, and Tim is making all of them. And when it’s not Tim, it’s Gareth “the Full 90” Barry. Will this be the turning point? Will Roberto see the error of his ways and reinstate the perfectly functional Robles. Of course he won’t, but it’s good to dream.

Aside from that, I saw plenty of reasons to be upbeat. I’m not even joking. Let’s ignore the first half because our brand of lateral crab-o-ball doesn’t really suit my agenda right now. Did you see that second half? Did you see the creative possibilities of playing two wingers? We made chances! Fair enough, Lukaku scuffed all of them (even the one he scored), but they were happening and they were frequent. Christian Atsu looked a handful. Darron Gibson will have a lot to be proud of as he played his annual 30 minutes. He can listen to replays of his long, guided passes and smile as the MRI machine looks into his soul. Aaron Lennon did okay. When McGeady comes back, we’ll have a real Legion of Inconsistency plundering blindly down those wings. Opponents will tremble. Gadzooks, what will these speedy tricksters do next? Even they don’t know!

My point is, keep those chins up fellas. We’re not going to get relegated. If you think Burnley and QPR look more likely than us to string a few results together, then you have a brand of fatalism that Bill Paxton in Aliens would envy. It won’t be pretty, but at least the Europa League will give us some sweet, poisonous hope until Napoli dump us out in the quarters. In the meantime, I’m making a kickstarter campaign to pay for Tim Howard's flight back to America, let’s just hope he catches it.

Last edited:

dcln.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.