Everton vs. Dundee FC Tues 28.07 @7.30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Say NO to Ginger Managers
11 days, 9 hours, 7 minutes and 5 seconds until the real deal. Everton, you’re on in four, three, two, one…
Dundee, one of three games of meaningless fluff to get through.
Preseason has oft been described as such, and regularly that is the case.
The search for fitness, that competitive edge, the match sharpness so that when that whistle blows, we’re already 1-0 up on Watford.
After the sloppy preseason of yesteryear leading to the abortion of 14/15, we need a fresh slate, to tidy up the mess and kick on early. And we need that kick. A horrific early fixture list leaves us playing Southampton, City, Spurs, United, Arsenal, and a home derby vs the RS all before the end of October.
Sharp as knives please Everton

009__034__features__perth1_1__1335452454_standard.jpg

Onto the opposition.
Dundee, of the Football Club variety, nary a United to be seen. Playing in dark blue, Dundee FC experienced their greatest period in the 60s when they won the league under the management of Bob Shankly, brother to notable Everton nemesis Bill. We have them to thank for Jimmy Gabriel, who made 304 appearances for Everton at right half, winning the 62/3 Championship and 66 FA Cup before later managing us in a caretaker role.
More recently in the 14/15 Scottish Premiership season, Dundee finished 6th, comfortable in mid table. Dundee have 2 wins out of four so far in preseason, most recently notching a 1-0 win vs League One Wigan with new signing Rory Loy putting the ball in the onion bag.
Dundee look likely to line up in a 4-3-3 with Extabeguren and Colquhoun likely to give the commentators a headache. Otherwise strong Scottish names in Irvine, Black and McPake round out the team.
We’re their last preseason runout, so hopefully they’ll be up for it and give us a challenge as we look to build towards Watford.
article-1249664-083681A3000005DC-781_468x374.jpg

Now for Everton.
Off the back of a pleasing win vs Hearts, we already look far sharper than we did last year, with some better movement in the forward positions.
However concerns still remain over the two gaping holes in the squad in the center back and playmaker position, as well as the overall static nature of our forward play. Could do with another striker as well to replace the limited and faded Kone as second choice, as I have serious worries about going into the season with only him to fill in.

tumblr_ni53a1baY91sncywgo1_1280.png

We still need to improve the speed at which we move the ball forward, as well as moving better for the player with the ball, creating passing options and space.
The bones of a good team are there and with more canny acquisitions in the vein of Deulofeu and Cleverly along with some luck with injuries, hopefully we will click and pick up plenty of points over that tough August to October period.
This season really is a make or break season for the manager and this playing group, do well and we might be able to retain Lukaku and Stones, fail and we’ll see significant turnover in the summer.

1-0.jpg

As for the game itself, I have little to no clue as to how we’ll suit up. So here’s a mad guess.
Likely we’ll set up in our normal 4-2-3-1, with Lukaku leading the line and some youngsters getting an opportunity to push their claim, probably the likes of Galloway, Browning and maybe McAleny. Deulofeu and Pienaar are injured, meaning that Naismith will almost certainly get a game as will Barkley and Mirallas. This could also mean McAleny getting a look in off the bench.
Barkley and Cleverly together in midfield looked to add some intensity, movement and zip to our passing and forward play so personally I’d like to see those two start with McCarthy mopping up behind like the human ever-ready battery he is.

Set the standard for the season to come, 4-0 to the Royal Blues.
COYB

Last edited:
First. Well, I can't think of much else to say.

Er, I think we'll win, but I won't be too bothered if we don't. After all, it's only a training run.

Too slow - never mind.

First page yeeehaaaa!

Nice one @Kiwi good preview. I think the opposition should be stronger and whilst pre season has been 100% better than last year I feel we still need to improve the quality of opponents, to give us that edge going into the season.

Should slam these, lots-0

First page yeeehaaaa!

Nice one @Kiwi good preview. I think the opposition should be stronger and whilst pre season has been 100% better than last year I feel we still need to improve the quality of opponents, to give us that edge going into the season.

Should slam these, lots-0

Always like a mini tour in Scotland, would be better if we could include Celtic in it, we have p!ayed stoke and arsenal plus Leeds will be a good game as well. Look at the rs who have they played, their preseason looks bad

Dundee, the second most repugnant team in Scotland (well, perhaps third if you count Airdrie Utd and their nazi saluting 'Ultras'). Rangers fans without the Bus fare. A nasty arrogant hateful club with nasty arrogant hateful supporters.

I hope we smash them

I remember playing Dundee at Goodison in the the 70's. We were up 3-0 at half time and walked down the paddock to watch all the goals at the Park End in the second half.........

Only for a little red haired player to take the game by the scruff of the neck and it finished 3-3 !

Typical Everton .

By the way the 18 year old was none other than Gordon Strachan.

Status
Not open for further replies.