Match Thread Everton v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having a lovely day. Nice breakfast, missus was doing stuff so I watched Paddington 2, which I'd never watched, and which was lovely. Funny and heartwarming. Then I listened to some music and read some Superior Spider-Man. Which, alongside Paddington may imply I'm about 12 and married. Couple of beers, missus drives me to County Road. We talk about The Style Council. Sun was shining, what a great day to be alive.

Then I get my season ticket out :(

So my wife, daughter, and I are on the train from Manchester airport on Friday morning, heading to Liverpool after getting off the red eye from JFK. A husband and wife get on a few stops before Lime Street. They hear our American accents and see my wife prod me awake and remark that we must have traveled a long way and what brings us to Liverpool? We say that we’re Everton supporters and we’re heading to a match. She rolls her eyes smiles and shakes her head, she’s a Red, but her husbands a Blue. He seems delighted that a bunch of Yanks have come so far for what seems like very little reward other than to get stick from his wife, like he has done for 30 years.

Train pulls in to Lime Street. I’m pulling the bags out of the racks. My wife and daughter step out to the platform. The kindly gent hands something to my wife and says “give this to your husband” and they’re off.

This is worn down to the bare metal. I don’t know how many years he’s had his keys on it but it’s been a long time. A two minute conversation with some weirdo on a train and he gifts it.

I was overwhelmed. Tearing up a bit now again typing it out tbh. I sometimes have trouble explaining to American friends not steeped in footy culture what has grabbed me about this club…. and here it is. Those who understand need no explanation.

If this is you, or if your grandfather, dad, uncle or brother told you about gifting his key fob to some Yank yesterday, You were gone before I could give proper thanks but please know that this made me really happy.

Now I’m not even going to complain about how the stewards of our club aren’t fit to scrub the floors of the rank and file Blues who fill the stands and pay their wages. I’ve come a long way for this. Let’s just smash these today, get that big Italian fellow in, and get on with it.

NSNO
UTFTView attachment 224468
Hope you enjoyed the authentic Everton home game experience mate.

Everton-news-Bill-Kenwright-next-manager-1445999.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.