Match Thread Everton v Southampton - Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Antony Gordon recovering from a serious illness ? He looked ill when he was coming on. A couple of pints of Guinness would do him good . :pint2:

I thought we started well.
DCL missed a couple and was inches away from a Richy cross

Disagree mate. For me, chalk and cheese that first half vs the second.

The second half/result makes it a distant memory. An an example, @Toffe3m4n liked your post/assume he agrees but this was him approaching half time, and at half time;

After a decent first 10 mins this has just all been Southampton. Doing everything better than we are.

Same old story really - our opponents working harder and doing the basics better.

Southampton are pretty poor and will struggle to survive this season.

We took a little while to get going - looked nervous - it give Southampton a little bit of belief after the first 10 minutes or so but they weren't good enough to build on that. Other teams will be.

Hopefully we'll start against Leeds with the same tempo of the second half, rather than the first.

The second half/result makes it a distant memory. An an example, @Toffe3m4n liked your post/assume he agrees but this was him approaching half time, and at half time;

We took a little while to get going - looked nervous - it give Southampton a little bit of belief after the first 10 minutes or so but they weren't good enough to build on that. Other teams will be.

Hopefully we'll start against Leeds with the same tempo of the second half, rather than the first.
Saints are bang average.
Sold goals in Ings.
Sold set piece player in that big grock Vestergarrd.
If Ward-Prowse had him to aim for on corners, they could have been in business at 1-0 up.

Ah well, nevrmind. Made my weekend down here far more enjoyable.

Think the disappointing aspect of yesterday was how heads seemed to fall off a bit after the Keane gaffe. I do stand by what I said that the first 10-15 mins of the game was good but when Premier League matches can hinge on moments like the Keane one (which shouldn't be happening in the first place like, but that's another discussion) then it's about how you react and regroup and we didn't do that very well at all for the rest of the first half, hence my statement about Southampton looking better than us.

Your point about starting games well generally is one that I strongly agree with, hence the like.

Saints are bang average.
Sold goals in Ings.
Sold set piece player in that big grock Vestergarrd.
If Ward-Prowse had him to aim for on corners, they could have been in business at 1-0 up.

Ah well, nevrmind. Made my weekend down here far more enjoyable.

Yeah we couldn't have hoped for a more favourable opening game.

A look back at opinion at half time on here, our Facebook page and Twitter and it was one of, to be polite, concern.

Started too many games at Goodison little flat last season and allowed opposition to grow into it. We'll need to be well quicker off the mark this season.

Think the disappointing aspect of yesterday was how heads seemed to fall off a bit after the Keane gaffe. I do stand by what I said that the first 10-15 mins of the game was good but when Premier League matches can hinge on moments like the Keane one (which shouldn't be happening in the first place like, but that's another discussion) then it's about how you react and regroup and we didn't do that very well at all for the rest of the first half, hence my statement about Southampton looking better than us.

Your point about starting games well generally is one that I strongly agree with, hence the like.
The first half isn't the end of the game.We did regroup superbly 2nd half and we were far superior to them.Even the so called top teams go behind on occasions.Last season we were dominated first half and second half by many teams at Goodison yesterday was different.Many selection problems for different reasons but supporters did us proud as did the players in the end.Well done the new manager as well.

Like yourself, I think we started relatively positively for the first ten to fifteen minutes with some good, open play. Up until that point, I was confident of a win.

When they scored, we were left reeling and looked lacklustre up until half-time, so for that reason alone people rightly remember the 1st half as poor.

But Danny is right, if you weigh up each half then it was like chalk and cheese, but again Everton very rarely have two good forty-five minutes in any game.

A couple of pints of the black stuff would make me ill. ?
Best thing you could put inside of you.....
20210605_232413.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.