Everton v Norwich - A Tactical Deconstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also by playing a higher line at the back it condenses the area between both defences thus nullifying the space to allow opposition teams to have time on the ball .

Precisely.

A huge problem we have had this season is our reaction when we lose the ball; it genuinely seemed as though the players were given no instructions on who, when and how to press the opposition. Barkley and Lukaku would do it, but not in any particular way.

This led to teams bypassing our press and leaving our defensive line with no choice but to drop.

This created space in front of our back four and we were on the back foot, camped on the edge of our area.

Then, teams figured out that we couldn't defend crosses, so they worked it wide and created chances from there.

Precisely.

A huge problem we have had this season is our reaction when we lose the ball; it genuinely seemed as though the players were given no instructions on who, when and how to press the opposition. Barkley and Lukaku would do it, but not in any particular way.

This led to teams bypassing our press and leaving our defensive line with no choice but to drop.

This created space in front of our back four and we were on the back foot, camped on the edge of our area.

Then, teams figured out that we couldn't defend crosses, so they worked it wide and created chances from there.
I mentioned earlier how I personally believe this system of high pressing suits Mcarthy. All season we have sat way too deep trying to soak up pressure on the edge of our own box almost. When we have then won possession we have launched it to Rom who has mostly been played as a lone striker, when this happened Mcarthy was almost always the first one to try and get up and around Rom to offer support but as the distance he was having to make up was so large by the time he got there Rom had already lost possession, James was then caught out of position as the opposition would play into the areas he had left exposed by trying to support Rom if you get what I mean. By pressing higher we are a tighter unit both attacking and defending. This could never happen with Bobby as this higher pressing requires genuine wide players as the game needs to be stretched wide . Hopefully this is something any new coaching team can build on. That's my tuppence on this anyway haha.

I hold a UEFA B Licence and currently work as a full-time football coach for an English Premier League club; I also have six years' experience as a first team manager in the Welsh Leagues.

I have been a member of this site for many years
, but under a different username. I will continue to use that to voice my opinions, etc but will use this account to (hopefully!) provide an insight into the game from a coaches' perspective without too much opinion.

Surely IF this is true, (and I'm making no assumptions either way) then 'the coach' has given way too much info about his background here to remain anonymous.
GOT is full of amateur Sherlocks after all.

Who is your money on?

Todays game had a feeling of the old Everton spirit. Give the opposition very little time on the ball and get stuck in. Get the ball forward at every opportunity and if in doubt get it out of our half. I havent seen stats but i reckon we played most of our football in their half and got it towards the area faster than usual. It was great to watch but unfortunately these tactics would not work over the course of a full season.

Todays game had a feeling of the old Everton spirit. Give the opposition very little time on the ball and get stuck in. Get the ball forward at every opportunity and if in doubt get it out of our half. I havent seen stats but i reckon we played most of our football in their half and got it towards the area faster than usual. It was great to watch but unfortunately these tactics would not work over the course of a full season.

Indeed. At which point we implement the U.E.F.A. 'A' Licence tactics.

I loved the fact that the likes of Stones was hardly mentioned by the commentators. We attacked quickly, and we scored, we never really looked like conceding, and the crowd didn't get nervous. All in all we battered them and deserved 3-0..........

Leicester won the title doing this.........

Status
Not open for further replies.