Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They were in Istanbul midweek, and looks 10 times fitter.

Don't think it was fitness, it was more economical. The gap between defence and midfield was huge allowing Fernandes or Rashford to just pull away and pick up the ball.

Then things like allowing crosses or pressing, just made it easier for them.

That derby destroyed our season - not sticking up for our players, because they have played their roll in our demise too, but the torrents of pure vitriolic hatred towards us from the media that followed that game has literally shot this team to pieces.

Coleman will still start next game though. It's the same with Pickford and others when they are poor as well. Everton just have no ambition.
Coleman badly at fault for the first two (along with his two CBs) but at least he took responsibility for getting into United's box in the last quarter. No one else in the team (maybe Allan excepted) takes it upon themselves to try anything to change the pattern or momentum of a game going badly.

Its not the point really is it. If you keep persisting with players who aren't good enough then how do you ever expect to progress? Hes the captain, hes a shrinking violet, prone to defensive errors, offers next to no leadership and can't cross a ball. Its the same old thing, we brought on Tosun to win the game. We persist with garbage players and I fully understand we are constrained with finances etc but guys like him have been at Everton for long enough to know they arent what we need if we want to progress. They're a safe bet to keep us anchored where we are. Yet they still feature.

I would honestly rather we play some youth, like we did with DCL (best player so far this season) and Holgate (best player last season). It of course takes time to bed in youth but we aint going to do a thing with gimps like coleman and sigurdsson starting. You think these lads will win us a cup final if we somehow get to one this season? I'd put money on them losing us one. They're barriers to what we want to do, or say we want to do.

You won't have been saying anything like that through the first seven games when he was excellent. He's been missing for the last two and, really, was far from our worst player today.

There is nobody currently better in the squad than Coleman at playing right-back. So of course I want him to play the next game. We know Kenny isn't good enough and Godfrey isn't a right-back.

We can't magic a right-back up out of thin air, and it's not our most problem position right now anyway.

It's one of them, but the main issue was always a complete lack of depth up top, which means as soon as we get an injury or suspension to Dom or Rich, we can't play 4-3-3 effectively. That was an issue at the start of October and it's been proven to cost us.

I wonder what the opposing managers say when they are struggling? I would like to think they say “oh crap Everton next!”. But, we know it’s “ah some much needed relief”, kind of like some constipation remedy. We simply get things moving again.

Typical of us though. When are we going to grow a set and have the mental steel to brush whatever happens in the derby off. That's why they act like that and barrage us in the media etc cuz they know we'll fold
To be fair apart from a few digs from Carlo the club were total cowards and did nothing to defend our reputation getting kicked all over the shop.

I'm struggling to get my head around the complete lack of effort in the last three matches. It's not just that we play poorly, but that it all seems to stem from laziness. We're not starting matches with intensity, and by 30 minutes quick touches vanish and we play ploddingly and sideways through mid-field. Each match, one of them will be up for it, while 10 others watch and wait for the ball to come to them. Bernard felt like that player today. The complacency of the squad since the derby has been overwhelming. Not sure how the problem can be fixed as it seems endemic at the club. Bursts of confidence and effort seem to come in 5-8 match runs and nothing more. It's just the worst roller coaster that ever was.
You watch the everton training Vids. They play quick 1-2 touch pass and move. Then comes to game day and it’s slow. Players easily man marked.

Top 10 ain't gonna keep our best players around. We need Europa.

Yeah true. But we have some people here saying we're gonna get relegated.

We should go back to the same team that won us the first four games with Holgate in for Mina. We can win all 3 of our next 3 if we play as we know we can. Next 3 games are super important.

That will probably put us around the top 6 with 11 league games played. Which I'm sure we all would have taken at the start of the season.

I went for Seamus MoM, with DCL close behind. Bernard, Digne and Iwobi played well. But 2 poor goals to concede, makes getting a result difficult.

I don't get the yellow card protocol though. Is it compulsory to give a yellow for every challenge by an Everton player, but DCL can be flattened with nothing given? Just asking for a friend.

Doucore needs to practice shooting, at the moment he seems expert at missing the bar by 10 yards.

I'm sick of commentators cheering on the opposition. They all have their favourite teams and players. Today they were Man U and Fernandez.

Why are we in a position where a player who needed replacing two years ago is first choice right back and captain? Please enlighten me.

Because our transfer strategy has been poor.

There's nothing we can do about that right now is there, as the window isn't open.

So stop being a complete head the ball and saying daft things, unless you really want to see Kenny played there, even though he's proved much, much less capable than a 32-year-old Coleman has, who, coincidentally, has been one of our best players this season anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.